Peppermint Crunch Oreo Truffles

The classic Oreo truffle gets a holiday make over this time of year with Andes peppermint crunch baking chips.  Add these Peppermint Crunch Oreo Truffles to your holiday baking list and watch them disappear.

Oreo truffles with Andes peppermint crunch pieces are the perfect holiday treat!

Do you decorate your house for Christmas before or after Thanksgiving?

We are firm believers in waiting until after Thanksgiving to bring out the red and green decorations or to turn on the holiday music.

Until this year…

This year we were looking at the calendar and realized that we are going to be gone all day the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  That has always been our holiday decorating day, but this year we will be taking our kids to see Elf in the theatre that day.  It will a fun day, but there will be no time to break out  the boxes of decorations and lights.

Then a few days later my husband will be leaving for a missions trip to Haiti. (read more about that and how you can help HERE)  So the only logical explanation was to start decorating this week.  We are doing it gradually over the next few weeks until Thanksgiving.  My house isn’t a winter/holiday wonderland…yet.  Give it a few more days.  But my snowman collection is out, one tree in the dining room is up, and there is garland around the top of the kitchen counters.

We also realized that a real tree wasn’t logical this year.  A few months ago we had new carpet put in our living room.  Real tree with needles and sap…not the best thing for new carpet.  So last night we were at Target, and we found one on sale that actually looks kind of real.  That will be up and hopefully decorated this week.

All of the decorations going up and all the fun holiday baking I have been doing is really getting me into the holiday spirit.

This past week we had a teachers appreciation lunch at one of the local schools.  I helped set up and bring food for it.  When I saw the sign up the week before, of course I put my name down for Broccoli Cheese Soup and cookies.

Any chance I get to bake and send the treats out of my house right away is one I will jump at.

The Andes peppermint crunch chips have been calling my name for the past few weeks.  Those things are dangerous…you start munching on them and you won’t want to stop.

I decided to add some of the peppermint crunch pieces to a basic Oreo truffle.  Those are another dangerous treat to be around.  I may have cheated on my diet because I couldn’t resist that goodness staring back at me when I was taking pictures.

For a little bit more fun, you will melt some of those peppermint chips for a festive topping.  Go ahead and put the melted chips in a ziplock bag with one tip cut off.  This is my favorite way to drizzle cookie truffles and candies.  Drizzle the tops and then throw away the bag.  Gotta love that kind of clean up.

Make sure you have some one help you with the sprinkles though…these peppermint chips set up a lot faster than regular one.

Quick baking tip:  if the chocolate sets up before you get the sprinkles on, pull out a blow dryer.  Turn it on low and go over the tops of the truffles.  It will melt the chocolate just enough for you to add the sprinkles on top.

Go ahead and make these up…they will get your holiday spirit going too.

I found this cute little sled and bowl at Michaels.  It is the perfect size for gift giving or for leaving on your counter filled with holiday candies.  If you wanted to gift this, put it on a small cardboard circle and wrap some cellophane and ribbon around it.

Stay up to date on all the BruCrew baking by following here:

FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN

Peppermint Crunch Oreo Truffles

Yield: 40 truffles

Peppermint Crunch Oreo Truffles

Oreo truffles get a fun holiday twist when Andes peppermint crunch pieces are added.

1 package Oreo cookies, crushed
1 package cream cheese (8 oz.)
2 cups Andes peppermint crunch pieces, divided
10 ounces white melting chocolate (CandiQuik)
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
holiday sprinkles

1. Combine the crushed cookies and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat until a soft dough forms. Stir in 1 3/4 cups Andes peppermint pieces. Roll into 40 balls. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Place the white melting chocolate and 1 teaspoon shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute. Stir until creamy. Dip the Oreo balls into the chocolate using a toothpick. Set on wax paper until set.
  3. Heat the extra 1/4 cup peppermint pieces and 1/2 tsp. shortening in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy. Place in a ziplock bag with one corner cut off. Drizzle over the Oreo truffles and top with sprinkles. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container. Makes 40 truffles.

Notes

*If you can't find the Andes peppermint crunch pieces, feel free to substitute Andes mint baking chips.

More peppermint treats to go on your holiday trays:

Peppermint Mocha Pudding Cookies 5
Peppermint Mocha Pudding Cookies

Peppermint Chip Brownies 6-1

Peppermint Chip Brownies

Peppermint Marshmallow Brownie Bites title

Peppermint Marshmallow Brownie Bites

Comments

You are a busy lady, Jocelyn! We actually have our Thanksgiving dinner (with over 50 peeps!) on the Saturday after. But, this year with the holiday coming so close to December…the next day for us, we are putting away the table and chairs and putting up the Christmas load!
    Love these creative truffles….perfect for the entertaining season!
    Gloria @ Simply Gloria recently posted..Eggnog Milkshake with Ginger Snap CrumblesMy Profile

Wow, I’m really glad I just found your blog… these look amazing!!! I love anything peppermint. I will definitely give these a try this holiday season! Thanks for the great recipe :)

oh my gosh, you are BRILLIANT! I am totally in love. Seriously. The peppermint chips in these look so yummy I want to reach through my screen. The snowflake sprinkles are about the cutest thing ever. And that sled with the cellophane wrapped around it would make the cutest gift! LOVE!

And I’m with you on decorating after Thanksgiving. We’ll be gone over Thanksgiving though, so I might start before we leave next week. Christmas is my very favorite holiday to decorate for! Gotta enjoy it. :)
    Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar recently posted..Peppermint Brownie Ice Cream CakeMy Profile

4. Barb says

These look great…..but what size package of cookies did you use? With all the different size packages on the market, just saying one package of Oreos doesn’t work. Also I think I might try these and add crushed candy canes to the Oreo mixture instead. That way you get a little crunch in them. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Hehe, I’m with you on decorating and like to wait until at least the end of November or beginning of December while my hubby is totally into decorating early and has already put our tree up this year.
    Wow, these oreo truffles look amazing Jocelyn! I love how pretty and festive they are and the peppermint surprise sounds wonderful:)

6. Jen says

I just made these and they are AMAZING! Do you think they will freeze will? I want to save most of the batch for Thanksgiving. Do you also mind elaborating on how you dip the truffles in the chocolate? Mine taste delicious but do not look nearly as pretty :)

I am so glad to hear that you made these and loved them. They should be just fine to freeze. I think you would just need to refrigerate them overnight to thaw them for the next day. I always use a toothpick to dip in the chocolate. Then tap it gently on the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate.

I got a question, I am not american so, how many Oreos does a Oreo package have? Also, do you crush just the cookie part or including the white thingy in the middle of the Oreo? Thanks!!!

8. Erin says

I made these yesterday and they are amazing! I have already decided to make them with the Andies Creme de minthe pieces as well!

I will admit I messed up the directions a little and put the whole bag of peppermint pieces in the Oreo mixture so I drizzled white chocolate on top with a little food coloring in it and it worked beautifully. I also couldn’t find the holiday sprinkles, but I found peppermint sugar sprinkles and they were absolutely perfect.

I have a question about how to get the white chocolate evenly over the Oreo mixture, I followed the directions but ended up needing twice as much white chocolate to cover them. (Not counting the extra I used for the drizzle) do you just dip half and let the rest drop down to cover the ball completely? I dipped the whole thing to cover it which worked but as I said I ended up using a lot more white chocolate. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi, Erin. I am so glad you like the truffles. The Andes mint pieces are great in these too…I also made cookie dough truffles with those if you are interested. http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2014/03/andes-mint-cookie-dough-truffle-bars/ If your chocolate isn’t hot enough it will coat the truffles thicker, but you have to be careful not to have it too hot either. I did dip the entire truffle in the CandiQuik and only used the amount in the recipe. Did you use CandiQuik or another melting chocolate? Another thing to look at is if you are counting the bars in correct ounce measurements. I break mine apart into 2 oz. pieces!

• Erin says

I couldn’t find CandiQuik so that could be part of it! I used A combo of Bakers and Ghiradelli. The Ghiradelli worked the best. (For anyone else not able to find CandiQuik) I think maybe it was just too cool, next time I will melt the chocolate on the stove (a small pot with a water and a metal mixing bowl work perfectly) so I can keep it warm while coating. These really are amazing, my family can’t stop eating them! Have you ever used the mint Oreos instead of regular ones? I really shouldn’t have tried this recipe.. It’s dangerous. Ha-ha! Thanks again!