Snickers salad meets apple cake in this delicious homemade cake recipe. This Apple Snickers Cake is loaded with apple chunks and candy bars and topped with a fluffy pudding frosting! One bite and you will declare this your new favorite fall dessert.
How you ever had Snickers salad before? It always makes me laugh when I hear Snickers and salad in the same sentence because they normally don’t go together. But that fall fluff salad will change your mind in a hurry. It’s that good.
That amazing apple salad was the inspiration behind this delicious apple Snickers cake! The combination of flavors will have your mouth watering after one bite! It’s a great way to eat an apple a day…wink, wink!
Why We Love this Apple Cake
This apple cake recipe is different from all the rest. It has an extra special topping that makes it stand out in the crowd. Not just any topping… Snickers salad frosting!
That’s right, this apple cake is topped with a fluffy cloud of pudding frosting and candy bars. Yum! Once you try this recipe, you won’t want to go back to your old way of making apple cake ever again.
It’s so easy to make, so you can whip this up in no time at all. And the best part is that your friends and family will be so impressed when they find out that this amazing dessert is actually made from scratch.
A homemade apple cake is quite easy to make. The ingredients can be found easily in any grocery store or local market. Most may be ones you already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
- Applesauce – Takes the place of oil and adds more apple flavor.
- Sour Cream – Adds a rich flavor and moist texture to cakes.
- Sugar – A mixture of granulated and brown sugar sweets this homemade cake.
- Eggs – Adds moisture and binds all the ingredients together.
- Vanilla Extract, Salt, & Cinnamon – Adds flavor.
- Flour – We use all purpose flour in most of our recipes. Make sure you are measuring the flour properly using the spoon and sweep method. Read our tutorial on how to measure flour.
- Baking Soda – Allows the cake to rise as it bakes.
- Apples – It is the most important ingredient in an apple cake!
- Snickers Candy Bars – Chopped large one up into bite sized pieces.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding – Make sure you buy the instant pudding. The cook & serve will not work at all.
- Milk – The best milk to use for instant pudding is 2% or whole milk. You can try using other milks, but they may not set up as well.
- Cool Whip – Gives the pudding frosting a light and fluffy texture. Feel free to use 3 cups of homemade whipped cream, if you prefer.
How to make an Apple Snickers Cake
This homemade apple cake has a unique twist on a classic favorite. It comes together in just a few steps. Once you try it, we know you won’t be able to resist making it again and again!
Step One: Make Apple Cake.
- Mix the applesauce, sour cream, and sugars in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Add the chopped apples and chopped Snickers pieces and stir gently.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 cake pan and bake. Remove and place on a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Step Two: Make Snickers Salad.
- Whisk together instant pudding mix and milk. Let it thicken.
- Fold in thawed Cool Whip gently and spread on top of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the apple cake with chopped candy bars.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of apples are best for baking?
You want to use a variety that holds up well when baked. I usually use Gala apples or Honeycrisp apples in our baked goods, but feel free to use your favorite apple.
Other apples that are great for baking are Winesap, Jonagold, Granny Smith, and Braeburn
Do you have to peel the apples?
It depends on your preference.I have made this apple cake both ways, and it’s delicious either way.
What can I use in place of Cool Whip?
A stabilized whipped cream will also work for the pudding frosting. Use 3 cups of this homemade whipped cream in place of the Cool Whip.
Does this cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes, this Snickers cake needs to be kept in the refrigerator because of the milk in the frosting. Keep it in a tightly sealed container, so it doesn’t dry out.
More easy apple recipes
- Apple Crisp Pie
- Apple Cider Donut Holes
- Apple Bacon Casserole
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Taffy Apple Pizza
- Candy Apple Nachos
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
For the Cake
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups peeled and diced apples
- 2 cups chopped Snickers bars, divided
For the Topping
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box Jello instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the applesauce, sour cream, and sugars. Beat until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly add to the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in diced apples and 1 cup of chopped Snickers by hand.
- Pour the apple cake batter into prepared pan. Bake the cake for 38-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Fold in the Cool Whip gently.
- Spoon the frosting on top of the cooled cake and spread it out evenly. Place the cake in the refrigerator for about one hour to thicken.
- Sprinkle with extra candy bar pieces before serving.
*You can also use 3 cups of this homemade whipped cream in place of the Cool Whip.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
(original photo from 2013)
*This Apple Snickers Cake recipe was first published February 27, 2013. The pictures were updated October 2016, and the post was updated and republished September 10, 2020.