Love old fashioned banana pudding? These Banana Pudding Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for you. The homemade cupcakes are filled with a delicious vanilla pudding and fresh banana chunks.
Each one is frosted with a swirl of whipped cream, sprinkled with crushed vanilla wafers, and topped with banana slices.
*I am partnering with Dixie Crystals to bring you this banana pudding cupcakes recipe.
Banana pudding is a classic Southern dessert. If you go to church potlucks or dinners you have probably seen pans of this amazing pudding dessert.
My husband loves banana pudding, so I'm always looking for fun ways to incorporate it into other desserts. This banana pudding cheesecake is one of our favorites.
When I decided to make cupcakes this week, I knew I wanted to make something new and exciting that included pudding. Adding fresh banana chunks made them taste like an old fashioned banana pudding dessert.
Why You Will Love These
Get ready to turn banana pudding into sweet cupcakes. Our banana pudding cupcakes take all the best parts of banana pudding and transform them into an easy to hold cupcake.
- Easy to make and taste delicious.
- Made from scratch with real ingredients.
- Filled with creamy pudding and banana chunks.
- Frosted with whipped cream and crushed vanilla wafers.
This is a great dessert to try if you are looking for a new and exciting cupcake recipe!
Key Ingredients Needed
Our pudding filled cupcakes are easy to make using basic pantry ingredients. Most of these items are probably in your pantry or fridge right now, so what are you waiting for?
For the Cupcakes
- Butter - Adds a rich, buttery flavor as it mixes with the butter.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the batter and helps to smooth out the butter.
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together.
- Flavorings - A mixture of vanilla extract, rum extract, salt, and cinnamon give these homemade cupcakes a good flavor.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - Provide the lift as the cupcakes bake.
- Flour - Adds structure to the cake ingredients. Read our tutorial to learn how to measure flour correctly.
- Buttermilk - Gives a softer texture and a great flavor to the cupcakes.
For the Vanilla Pudding
- Milk - 2% or whole milk is best to use.
- Sugar - Sweetens the homemade pudding.
- Cornstarch - Thickens the mixture into a creamy texture.
- Egg Yolk - Gives the pudding a rich taste.
- Butter - Makes it smooth and creamy.
How to make Banana Pudding Cupcakes
You are going to love how easy it is to combine two classic desserts into one easy to make treat. Do not get stressed because these banana cream pie cupcakes have a lot of steps. They are easy to do, if you follow our simple instructions.
Make Cupcake Batter
- Make a batch of homemade vanilla pudding ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge until thickened.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add the eggs and extracts and mix again.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and buttermilk until everything is combined.
Bake and Fill Cupcakes
- Fill a pan with cupcake liners evenly with the batter and bake. Insert a toothpick to check the centers. A few crumbs is good.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Use a cupcake corer or icing tip to remove the centers of the cupcakes.
- Dice a small banana and stir it into the chilled pudding. Spoon into the centers of the cupcakes.
- Beat powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- Swirl the homemade whipped topping on top of each cupcake and sprinkle with crushed vanilla wafers.
See the Full Recipe
I am sharing the ingredients and the full instructions for this banana pudding cupcake recipe over on Dixie Crystals site.
To Serve - Place the filled cupcakes in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 1 day. These pudding cupcakes are best served the day you fill them because of the fresh bananas.
To Store - Keep the unfilled cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter for 4-5 days.
To Freeze - You can freeze baked cupcakes that have NOT been filled. Keep them in a freezer safe bag or container for 3-4 months. Thaw before filling and frosting.
- Use light colored cupcake liners, so they do not take any attention away from the banana cream cupcakes.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before adding the pudding and bananas.
- Use a piping bag with icing tip 1M to make bakery style swirls on the tops of the banana cupcakes.
- Serve these cupcakes for Easter dinner or summer potlucks.
- Want more banana flavor? Fill these banana cupcakes with the homemade banana pudding mix and top with Cool Whip.
Can these cupcakes be made ahead of time?
The filled cupcakes are best made and served the same day because the bananas may turn brown. You can bake the cupcakes and make the pudding ahead of time, then assemble and frost the day you want to serve them.
How do you keep the bananas from turning brown?
Dip each banana slice in lemon juice and place on a paper towel to dry. Wait a few minutes, then chop some for the filling or for the cupcake topper.
More Filled Cupcakes
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Dirt Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*Dixie Crystals has sponsored this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*