This Banana Pudding Cheesecake combines the best banana cheesecake recipe with a classic banana pudding. Layer it with fresh bananas and whipped topping and you get an amazing banana dessert!
If you are a fan of banana and cheesecake, you need to try this mini chocolate banana cheesecake too.
Cheesecake is one of our favorite things to make for dessert. Over the years we have come up with so many recipes for cheesecake bars, full sized cheesecake, mini cheesecakes, and no bake cheesecakes.
This banana cheesecake recipe is a combination of two of our favorite classic desserts…banana pudding and banana cheesecake. A few years ago we made this Banana Split Cheesecake, and it is still one of our our all time favorites because it is made with real bananas.
I decided to make that same banana cheesecake, but this time I added a simple banana pudding layer on top. The combination of thick creamy cheesecake with light fluffy pudding turned out so good. It may be our new favorite cheesecake.
Packed with banana pudding flavor, this twist on banana cheesecake will be a new favorite with your family too.
Ingredients for Banana Cheesecake with Pudding
Real bananas, banana pudding, and a vanilla wafer crust add a delicious twist to a classic banana cheesecake.
For the Vanilla Wafer Crust
- Nilla Wafers – Buy a big box of cookies, so you have enough for the crust and the decorations.
- Sugar – Sweetens the crust and also helps it bake firm.
- Butter – Unsalted, melted, and mixed with wafer crumbs.
For the Banana Cheesecake
- Cream Cheese – Make sure to set the 4 blocks out ahead of time.
- Sugar – Sweetens the cheesecake.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds flavor.
- Bananas – 3-4 ripe bananas mashed up.
- Flour – Adding flour helps to stabilize the filling, so it doesn’t crack.
- Eggs – Binds everything together and helps the cheesecake bake.
For the Banana Pudding
- Vanilla Pudding Mix – One small box of instant pudding.
- Milk – 1%, 2%, or whole can be used.
- Cool Whip – Gives the pudding a light and fluffy texture. You can also use heavy cream to make 6 cups of this homemade whipped cream, if you prefer.
- Bananas – 3 sliced bananas
How to make Banana Pudding Cheesecake
This banana pudding cheesecake recipe has a few steps, but it is really quite simple to make. I added banana pudding and fresh bananas to the top of the fresh banana cheesecake. If you are opposed to box mixes, check out this banana pudding from scratch.
Step One: Make the Vanilla Wafer Crust
- Mix together the crushed vanilla wafers, sugar, and melted butter.
- Press firmly and evenly in the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
BruCrew Tip: Make a graham cracker crust if you prefer that instead.
Step Two: Make the Cheesecake Filling
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla, mashed banana, and flour and mix again.
- Add the eggs and gently mix until everything is combined.
- Pour onto the vanilla wafer crust and bake.
- Once it is done baking, remove and cool 5 minutes. Loosen edges from pan.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled through.
Step Three: Make Banana Pudding
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk.
- Refrigerate 5-10 minutes.
- Fold in Cool Whip gently.
Step Four: Assemble the Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- Arrange sliced bananas on top of the cooled cheesecake.
- Place Nilla Wafers around the very outside edge of the pan standing up on the cheesecake.
- Spread the banana pudding evenly over the bananas.
- Top with another layer of Cool Whip and refrigerate.
- Right before serving, add Cool Whip swirls, mini Nilla wafers, banana slices, and wafer cookie crumbs.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you set out your cream cheese ahead of time. It is so much easier to cream the ingredients if they are softer. Although, if you do forget, you can remove the foil wrappers and microwave each block for about 15-20 seconds.
- Preheat your oven and place a large sheet pan on the very bottom rack of the oven. Fill it at least halfway with water for a steam bath. This is quite a controversial topic, but I have found that the steam bath method works to work great. Plus, it’s so much easier than a water bath, and you don’t have to worry about water seeping in and ruining a perfectly good cheesecake.
- Use parchment paper in the bottom of the springform pan if you want to remove the cheesecake completely from the pan later. This is an optional step though. If you do not mind serving your cheesecake from the bottom of the pan, you can skip this step.
- Make sure you add the eggs one a time while mixing the batter. Do NOT over beat the cheesecake batter once your eggs are incorporated. This can add extra air bubbles which could cause cracks when the cheesecake bakes.
- When you bake the cheesecake, place the pan on the oven rack directly above the steaming pan of hot water.
- As soon as your timer goes off, remove the cheesecake from the oven. There is no need to keep it in the hot oven. This will actually make the cheesecake keep cooking, which in turn could mean cracks or an over dry cheesecake.
- Let the banana cheesecake chill for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside edge of the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan. Again, this is to keep the cheesecake from cracking as it cools and pulls away from the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make banana cheesecake ahead of time?
Cheesecake is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time because it needs time to chill.
Can you make these into banana pudding cheesecake bars?
Yes, you can. Press the crust into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Pour the cheesecake filling on top and bake for 40-50 minutes.
How do you know when cheesecake is done?
Gently shake the pan of baked cheesecake to see if the center jiggles. Cheesecake is done when the outside is set and the center jiggles. It should wiggle as a whole, like a pan of Jello.
- Orange Cream Cheesecake
- Cookie Dough Mousse Cheesecake
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Cashew Cheesecake
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecakes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
For the Crust
- 50 Nilla Wafers
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Cheesecake
- 4 - 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (3-4)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
For the Topping
- 20-30 Nilla Wafers, divided
- 1 - 3.9 ounce (small) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 - 16 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed and divided
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- mini Nilla wafers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place a large sheet pan on the very bottom rack of the oven and fill it halfway with water. Line the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Crush the Nilla Wafers with a food processor and stir in the sugar and melted butter. Stir until mixed and then press it evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla, mashed banana, and flour and beat again.
- Add the eggs one at a time until mixed in. Pour onto the prepared crust.
- Place the springform pan on the oven rack directly above the steaming water. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven when the timer goes off and place it on a wire rack. Cool 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside edge of the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan. Cool for another 1-2 hours on the wire rack, then refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- Whisk together the instant pudding mix and milk. It should thicken right away. If not refrigerate for a few minutes. Fold in 3 cups Cool Whip and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to chill the mousse.
- Arrange Nilla Wafers around the outside edge of the cheesecake and banana slices on top of the chilled cheesecake. Spoon the pudding mixture into the center and spread out evenly.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip evenly on top of the pudding and chill for another 2-3 hours before removing the sides of the springform pan.
- Use a disposable piping bag and icing tip 1M to swirl the remaining Cool Whip around the edge of the cheesecake. Top with mini Nilla Wafers and banana slices. Add crushed cookies to the center of the cheesecake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 9g
*The post for Banana Pudding Cheesecake was first published May 2019. The post was updated and republished July 2021.