When your sweet tooth starts craving something sweet, these Caramel Coconut Brownies are just what you need. The homemade brownie layer is the perfect way to start.
*Want to receive these recipes in your inbox? Make sure you sign up for the BruCrew newsletter.*
It’s almost that time of year. The time of year when little boxes of cookies start to appear all over the place.
You know the boxes right? The green ones sold by cute little girls trying to sucker you into spending your hard earned money on like 4 cookies. Ok, ok, there might be 6 in there.
This is the time of year when I have to strategically plan my shopping trips because those cute girls are everywhere. Now I have no problem looking away and saying no. Yes, I’m kind of hard hearted like that. But my hubby is softer.
I will walk the long way into a store, just so I don’t have to say no to them. Honest! I do fully support the organizations that sell those green boxes. But I also fully support my cookie habit that needs more than a few cookies for my money.
Now don’t get your panties all in a bunch. We do end up buying these cookies…my husband is the softie, remember? He always gets caught by a few of them at church. Before I know it, I have a few boxes headed my way. I need to teach him the art of dodging and saying no apparently!
Just thinking about those cookies has me craving certain flavors. Caramel and coconut is a combo to die for. And when added to a homemade fudgey brownie, it gets even better.
These homemade brownies will have you giving up your box mix in a hurry. How do I know? Because I am a box mix fan through and through, but these brownies converted me in the first batch. I make these Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies all the time when I have the brownie urge.
Coconut is the one thing that I seem to go for all winter long. It’s my way of keeping summer and the tropics in my heart until the real warm weather gets here. This caramel coconut layer is even easier than the brownies.
Seriously it’s 2 ingredients. Shredded coconut and a can of Dulce de Leche. Just don’t lick the spoon when you are mixing them together. I know from experience how hard it is to stop when that caramel goodness hits your mouth.
Ok, just do it. I know you want to anyway! Just make sure you put that will power to good use. You have brownies waiting for the goodness too.
The only thing better would be if there were chunks of a certain kind of cookie on top. Now that would just be perfect. I guess I do need them after all.
Stay up to date on all the BruCrew recipes here:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 (13.4 ounce) can Dulce de Leche
- chocolate syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the cocoa powder and set aside.
- Beat the eggs until light in color. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat again. Add about 1/4 cup butter and chocolate mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly. Add the rest of the chocolate and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder and slowly add to the egg mixture. Do not over beat.
- Spread the batter in prepared. Bake for 28-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Stir together the coconut and Dulce de Leche. Spread over the top of the cooled brownies. Cut into 24 squares. Serve with chocolate syrup if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
More desserts with a girl scout twist: