This Cheesy Chicken Pasta is the perfect meal to make when you are short on time. It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, so it's ready in no time at all. The gooey melted cheese and chicken in this easy pasta recipe will have everyone licking their plate clean.
Every day around 5 o'clock our kids start asking "what's for dinner?". And I start wondering "what can I make with chicken?" that will appease these hungry kiddos.
Each time we go to Sam's or Costco I pick up a few extra ingredients like chicken broth and canned chicken. When our youngest was younger, he was a picky eater and would only eat canned chicken. Having those ingredients on hand makes it easy to make dinner in a hurry.
Why this Cheesy Pasta is Best
Cheese and pasta are the first things I think of when I start to get dinner started each day. I should probably widen my options before my family gets burned out on the cheesy goodness!
This easy and delicious cheesy chicken pasta is a great way to get dinner on the tables fast. It's full of flavor and perfect for busy nights! Plus, there are lots of ways to customize this recipe depending on what you like best.
Your family will love this chicken cheese pasta skillet because it has everything they want. The creamy sauce, tender chicken, and lots of gooey cheese will have everyone asking for seconds.
The other afternoon I was rummaging in the cupboard looking for easy dinner ideas. I found the canned chicken and decided to add some to an easy chicken pasta skillet for dinner.
Ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Pasta Recipe
This cheesy chicken pasta actually only has a few ingredients in it. Most of them are probably already in your cupboards or pantry. Change it up by adding your favorite vegetable to this one pan cheesy chicken dinner.
- Pasta - Any noodle will work, but we like to use a penne pasta in this easy skillet meal.
- Butter - You can also use olive oil.
- Red Pepper and Garlic - Adds color and flavor. You could also use peas, broccoli, spinach, or tomatoes instead of the peppers or with them.
- Flour and Milk - Used together with the cheese to create a delicious homemade cheese sauce.
- Shredded Cheese - Use your favorite type of cheddar cheese for this recipe. Cheddar Jack or Triple Cheddar are the ones we use most often.
- Canned Chicken - You can also use 1 ½ - 2 cups of any type of cooked chicken you have on hand.
- Ranch Powder - Adds a unique and delicious flavor to the pasta.
BRUCREW TIP: Rotisserie chicken, leftover grilled chicken, or frozen cooked chicken all work great in this chicken pasta recipe.
How to make Cheesy Chicken Pasta
This cheesy chicken pasta recipe is an easy and delicious dinner that can be made in 30 minutes or less. You'll love how creamy the sauce is, and it's easy to customize with your favorite veggies!
- Start by boiling the penne noodles. (full recipe below)
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté chopped peppers and butter in a large skillet.
- Stir in the flour and milk to make a white sauce.
- Stir in shredded cheese to the roux, and let it melt into gooey goodness.
- Add the chicken, drained cooked pasta, and more shredded cheese gently.
- Season the cheesy pasta to taste and sprinkle the top with more cheese.
Make it a Full Meal
This easy chicken skillet recipe is delicious on its own, but adding a few side dishes and a dessert rounds it out.
- Veggie Salad
- Biscuits made with All Purpose Baking Mix
- Garlic Herb Bread
- Rice Krispies Treats with M&Ms
More Chicken Recipes
- Chipotle Pasta
- Chicken Gnocchi Bake
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Other Canned Chicken recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.