M&M Rice Krispie Treats are a fun no bake dessert that everyone loves. They are ready in minutes and perfect for parties or potlucks. Just like the classic rice krispie treats recipe, but with a delicious candy twist.
These crispy treats are the perfect dessert for kids of all ages. This time we added candy and extra marshmallows to turn the classic krispies into a colorful and fun dessert.
⭐ Why This Works
These rice krispie treats are loaded with extra marshmallows and chocolate coated candies. You can also use seasonal M&M's to make them festive for different holidays.
Using the perfect ratio of butter, marshmallow, and rice cereal keeps these no bake treats soft and chewy for days.
Rice krispie treats with M&M's are easy to make, and they are the perfect treat for summer picnics or potlucks.
📋 Key Ingredients
You will only need 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to make a pan of rice krispie treats with M&M's.
- Butter - Salted or unsalted is fine. Use whatever you have in your fridge.
- Marshmallows - One 10 ounce bag of miniatures will give you enough for the marshmallow mixture and for the extras in the treats.
- Rice Krispies Cereal - One box of cereal is enough for this recipe. Change it up by using chocolate krispies.
- M&M's - Any color or flavor will work. Try using different colors to match your party or holiday like we did in these Easter rice krispie treats and these 4th of July rice krispie treats.
🥣 How to Make M&M Rice Krispie Treats
In minutes you can melt the ingredients for homemade rice crispy treats on the stove top. Once the cereal is mixed in, let it cool for a few minutes before adding the chocolate candy.
- Add the butter and marshmallows in a large pan over low-medium heat. Stir often until they are melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the crispy rice cereal until everything is coated. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Add the extra marshmallows and M&M's and stir gently.
- Spoon the mixture carefully into a buttered 9x13 pan. Sprinkle some extra marshmallows and candies on the top.
- Gently press the mixture down using buttered hands, a piece of wax paper sprayed with cooking spray, or a rubber spatula. You want to press firmly, but not too hard.
- Let the M&M rice krispies treats cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
📖 Storage Recommendations
Keep your rice krispie treats in an air tight container on the counter. They will stay soft and chewy for 4-5 days.
👩🏻🍳 Tips and Tricks
- Place the M&M's in the freezer 10 minutes prior to starting this recipe. This will keep them from softening and melting when you add them to the warm cereal mixture.
- Spray or butter your baking dish because you do not want your treats to stick. You can also line the pan with foil or parchment paper, so they lift out easily.
- Press the mixture firmly but gently into the pan. Pressing too hard will result in extra hard treats.
- Let the rice krispie treats cool at least 30 minutes before cutting them into squares. This gives the cereal and marshmallows time to cool and stick together better.
- Use different cereals to change up the treats like we did in these cinnamon toast crunch bars.
- Want thicker treats? Use an 8x8 pan for this recipe.
💭 Recipe FAQ'S
Using old ingredients can affect how your treats turn out. Also, melting the marshmallows and butter over high heat can make the end treats harder.
Another reason treats may be hard is because they were pushed into the pan too firmly.
Too many marshmallows will make your cereal treats fall apart. Also, not pressing everything down can result in the squares just falling apart. It is a balance of gently but firmly.
Yes. A 10 ounce bag of miniatures is equal to about 40 regular sized marshmallows. The benefit to using the bag of minis is that you will have extra marshmallows to add to the treats.
📋 More Rice Krispie Treats
- Strawberry Rice Krispies
- Football Rice Krispy Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Hearts
- Spooky Rice Krispie Treats
- Monster Rice Krispie Treats
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.