If you like Arby's pecan chicken salad, you will love this chicken salad. The fresh combination of chicken, dill, nuts, and fruit makes this Chicken Salad Recipe with Grapes a delicious meal all year round.
Layer it on bread. Stuff it in a wrap. Pile it on a salad. Whatever you choose, this chicken dinner is a winner.
Pecan Chicken Salad
Have you had the pecan chicken salad sandwich from Arby's? I love that they include fruit and nuts in their chicken salad. The problem with this particular chicken salad is that it is only available for a limited time.
I was inspired to make my own version of their chicken salad recipe because I didn't want to wait months for it again. This chicken salad with grapes is the perfect meal to make on busy nights. It comes together quickly when you use a rotisserie chicken, and it tastes absolutely amazing.
The best part about this chicken salad with grapes and pecans is how versatile it is. You can serve it on bread, wraps, lettuce, or crackers.
It is also a great meal to take to picnics or potlucks. I always get requests for this pecan chicken salad recipe when we share it with others.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is one of those recipes that you can change up to include your favorite ingredients. We feel that the combination of these ingredients makes this traditional chicken salad the best.
- Chicken - Use a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club or your favorite grocery store to save time. You will need to shred the entire chicken to have enough for this recipe. You can also roast your own chicken in a crock pot or Instapot, if you prefer to do that instead.
- Seedless Grapes - Gives the chicken salad a delicious sweet taste. Feel free to use red or green grapes.
- Celery - Adds a delicious crunch and fresh flavor.
- Pecans - Dice the nuts into small bite sized pieces. Toast the nuts ahead of time to give the chicken salad a unique and delicious taste.
- Mayonnaise & Sour Cream - A combination of these creates a creamy base for the other ingredients. You can also use Greek yogurt if you want to lighten the recipe up.
- Fresh Dill - Gives a rich flavor.
- Salt & Pepper - Use to season the pecan chicken salad to taste.
How to make Grape Pecan Chicken Salad
This chicken salad with grapes and pecans is so easy to make in under 30 minutes when you use a rotisserie chicken. It's perfect for eating on bread or on greens all week long.
Step 1: Dill Sauce
- Mix together sour cream and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Chop the fresh dill into small pieces, removing the stems.
- Stir the dill into the creamy mixture.
Step 2: Chicken Salad
- Debone and shred the cooked chicken.
- Dice the celery and pecans and cut the grapes in half.
- Stir the chicken, celery, pecans, and grapes in a large bowl.
- Pour the dill sauce in and stir everything together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together.
This recipe makes a very large bowl of chicken salad. You can feed a crowd or you can eat on it for days. If you do not need that much, feel free to cut the recipe in half.
Save time by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken. We usually keep bags of shredded chicken in our freezer for chicken salad, or easy meals like this Chicken Pasta Bake or this Chicken Avocado Quesadilla.
Fresh dill gives this grape chicken salad its unique flavor. You may think that it seems like a lot of dill, but when you use fresh herbs you use more. Do not pack the chopped dill in your measuring cup.
If you are going to use dried dill for this recipe, please use about ⅓ of the amount. Dried herbs have a much more concentrated flavor, so you need to use less.
If you want yours to taste just like the Arby's pecan chicken salad, leave the dill out.
Make sure to chop all your ingredients into small bite sized pieces. Not only is it easier to eat, the salad can blend and meld together better when the ingredients are smaller.
- Feel free to use different fruits in this chicken salad. Dried cranberries, chopped apples, fresh cherries, and pineapple work well too.
- Change up the herbs. Parsley and cilantro are great choices.
- Make this a mayo-free recipe by using a mixture of sour cream and Greek yogurt. You can also use ranch dressing or a mixture of any of these.
- Use different nuts or seeds. Walnuts and almonds are delicious in this too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make chicken salad with canned chicken?
You sure can. If you are making this exact recipe, you will need 5-6 cups of chicken.
How long does chicken salad last?
The grape pecan chicken salad will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store it in a sealed container.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
I don't recommend freezing chicken salad because of the dairy in it. As it thaws, it will become watery and will not taste as great.
What if my chicken salad has too much dill?
If you make it and feel like the flavor of dill is overwhelming, here are a few things you can do to salvage your chicken salad recipe.
- Give it time. Dill is actually an herb that looses strength over time. Refrigerate the chicken salad overnight, and the flavor of the dill may be toned down enough for it to be palatable for you.
- Add more of the other ingredients to tone down the flavor.
- Vinegar can neutralize the flavor of dill. Stir in 1 tablespoon of vinegar at a time to the dill chicken salad until you like the taste.
How do you serve Chicken Salad with Grapes?
There is no wrong way to eat this easy chicken salad. It all depends on what you are in the mood for.
Eating Keto? Cut the bread and eat it on a salad. Want a snack? Enjoy the chicken salad with pretzels. Eating on the go? Stuff it in a tortilla and fold it up.
- Bread, Crescent Rolls, Hawaiian Rolls
- Crackers, Pretzels
- Salad, Lettuce Wraps
- Tortilla Shells
More Simple Chicken Salad Recipes
- Chicken Hawaiian Salad - juicy pineapple, crunchy nuts, and spicy peppers mixed with chicken and Greek yogurt makes a delicious and healthy salad
- Cherry Chicken Salad - fresh cherries, cilantro, and walnuts give this salad a delicious twist
- Chicken Fiesta Salad - corn, beans, spicy tomatoes, and cilantro give this chicken salad a good Tex Mex flavor
- Turkey Salad - apple chunks, dried cranberries, and parsley are a great combo. (You can also use chicken in place of the turkey.)
- Chicken Salad Bites recipe - chicken salad and melted cheese baked into a little crescent roll cup.
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Grape Pecan Chicken Salad was first published June 2010. The pictures and post were updated and republished September 2021.