These easy Canned Chicken Recipes are a convenient way to quickly get dinner on the table. Chicken in a can is quick, affordable, and you can use it in different recipes. For busy families, that's a huge win!
Why Make Chicken Recipes
There are so many easy meals that you can make with chicken. Combine simple ingredients with chicken, and you can have a quick meal that even picky eaters will love. It works for elegant meals or busy weeknight schedules.
Chicken from a container is an excellent protein option. It tastes just as good as fresh chicken and is so versatile! It is a great item to keep in your pantry because it saves time and money.
This chunk chicken breast is an excellent substitute for cooked shredded chicken and can be used in almost any quick and easy dinner recipe. We love using it to make this cheesy chicken soup and this chicken ravioli in minutes.
- Great Protein Source. You can use this meat in sandwiches, wraps, buffalo chicken dip, or top salads and pasta recipes. It's a great way to add protein to your dinner recipes when you don't have time to cook something from scratch.
- Saves Time. Pull it out of the pantry and make an easy dinner in 20 minutes. This is much quicker than cooking from scratch or taking the time to thaw and cook a whole bird.
- Short Prep Time. All you have to do is open and drain the meat before using it. Rotisserie meat from the grocery store may already be cooked, but pulling everything off the bones takes time. And sometimes you don't want to deal with that mess when making an easy meal.
- Saves You Money. It is a cheap pantry item to keep stocked. One of the best ways to save money is by making dinner at home using ingredients from your pantry instead of going out to eat.
Benefits of Using Chicken in a Can
- Precooked. Saves you time in the kitchen. Just open the can of chicken and combine it with your favorite ingredients.
- Already boneless, skinless, and shredded. Less mess and fuss to deal with.
- Cans of chicken have a shelf life of 3 years. Once opened, it does need to be refrigerated and used within 3 days.
- Best when added to a recipe. Add a handful of ingredients like cheeses, taco seasoning, alfredo sauce, or enchilada sauce to make various recipes.
- Extremely convenient for quick lunches or last-minute meals.
- Not as salty as rotisserie chicken so you can control the sodium intake.
- You are always able to find it at your local grocery store.
BruCrew Tip - You can reduce the sodium in your canned chicken by rinsing and straining it after opening.
Great Alternatives to Canned Chicken
You can still make easy dinners without using canned chicken. Most chicken recipes need precooked chicken. Here are some other easy ways to prepare chicken.
- Rotisserie Chicken - These whole chickens can be bought at your grocery store already seasoned and cooked up. Pull the meat off the bone and add it to your favorite recipe.
- Instant Pot Chicken - This is a great way to prepare frozen chicken breasts in an instant pot for your favorite meal.
- Crockpot Chicken - Prepare the meat in a slow cooker and use it in a recipe.
- Grilled Chicken - Fire up the grill and cook the chicken breasts. Finely dice them after they are cooked to add them to recipes.
- Baked Chicken - Bake up chicken tenderloins to add to your favorite side dish.
- Leftover Chicken - Using leftover chicken from a previous meal is a great way to have chicken on hand for your next recipe idea.
These popular choices can be used in almost every recipe for shredded chicken. It comes down to what you prefer and what you have on hand. This easy protein provides nutrition and convenience for our busy lifestyle. For that reason, it is one of our pantry staples.
As a general rule once canned chicken is opened, you should store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can freeze canned chicken. Simply open the can and drain the liquid. Place the chicken in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes, this is real meat. This is usually white chicken that has simply been sealed in a can like tuna. This can be a more affordable way to eat protein, and it works great in recipes calling for chicken.
No, it is actually already cooked. You could eat it right out of the can or add it to your favorite recipes. This is a time saver since you do not need to precook the meat.
All chicken is high in protein and has zero carbs. This is an excellent choice for low-carb diet plans or building lean muscle.
If the can is not opened it has a shelf life of a few years. Once it is opened it can be stored in the refrigerator in a different container for 3-4 days.
Chunk white meat is slightly higher in sodium than raw or uncooked meat. One way to reduce the sodium from the can is to drain and rinse it before adding it to your favorite recipes. However, this will reduce some of the flavor as well.
What to Make with Canned Chicken
Here are some of our tried and true recipes using chicken from a can to help you get dinner on the table faster. You will find everything from appetizers to casseroles, soups, and many other delicious ideas.
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first written in October 2021. It was updated and republished in August 2023.