This Apple Crumble Cake is the perfect way to start your day. It's sweet, moist, and delicious. Everything you could want in a simple apple cake recipe. And it's easy to make too!
Fresh apples and a streusel topping add a sweet flavor to this apple crumble cake. But it doesn't stop there. We also added a sweet glaze that will make this coffee cake even more irresistible!
It really is the perfect treat for fall. You won't be able to stop eating bites once you try it for yourself.
Why This Works
It doesn't matter if you are looking for a quick breakfast or if you just want something sweet after dinner. This simple fall cake is topped with apple slices, a crumble topping, and a sweet glaze, and it will hit the spot every time.
This is a simple recipe that anyone can make at home, and it tastes absolutely delicious. It literally comes together in minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
Make your next brunch or breakfast extra special with this easy coffee cake recipe. Or warm it up and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzles for dessert. Either way, it's sure to satisfy your apple cravings!
This easy apple crumble cake recipe can be made in minutes with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Butter - Unsalted and softened. If you use salted, adjust the salt in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar sweetens the coffee cake.
- Applesauce - Adds a little more apple flavor. You can also use 1 egg instead of the applesauce.
- Greek Yogurt - Gives it a great crumb texture. Sour cream can also be used in place of this.
- Flour - Provides the structure in the batter. Make sure you are measuring the flour correctly.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - The combination helps the cake rise and brown.
- Salt & Vanilla Extract - Balances and adds flavor.
- Spices - A combination of cinnamon and star anise add a delicious flavor. Don't have star anise? Use nutmeg or extra cinnamon instead.
- Apples - Cored and cut into thin slices. Leaving the peels on adds a little bit of color to the top of the cake.
How To Make
This cinnamon apple crumble cake comes together in four easy steps. Follow each one and in minutes you can have this sweet cake baking in your oven too.
Step One: Cake Batter
- Beat the softened butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add applesauce, yogurt, and vanilla and mix again. It's ok if the mixture looks strange or curdled.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until a soft batter comes together.
- Spread in a prepared 9 inch springform pan.
Step Two: Apples
- Core and cut the apples into thin slices.
- Arrange the apples in a ring around the pan on top of the batter.
- Use more slices to make a smaller ring in the center. Do not over lap the apples.
Step Three: Crumble
- Cut the cold butter into the crumble ingredients.
- Drop pieces of the crumble evenly on top of the sliced apples.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack before removing the sides of the pan.
Step Four: Glaze
- Mix together powdered sugar and a little bit of water in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over the top of the cooled apple coffee cake.
Counter: Let the cake cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil to keep the cake from drying out. It will keep on the counter for 1-2 days.
Freezer: Wrap the unglazed cake tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw over night in the fridge. Bring to room temperature, then add the glaze before serving.
- Use a a mix of sweet and tart apples to give the cake a great flavor. Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples are two great choices.
- Do not layer the apple slices when you put them on the batter. They should be mostly flat with the batter with just the very edge on top of each other.
- Use other fruits to change up the breakfast cake. Pears, peaches, and raspberries would be great.
- Add ¼ cup of your favorite chopped nuts to the streusel topping.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar instead of adding the glaze.
- Serve slices of this apple crumble cake with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel topping or with a big swirl of homemade whipped cream and cinnamon.
Can I use a different size pan?
You can also bake this coffee cake in an 8x8 pan or a regular 9 inch cake pan. Just remember that the baking time will need to be adjusted slightly based on the pan you use.
Do the apples need to be peeled?
That's up to you. I prefer to leave the peels on in this cake because it adds color and texture.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Cider Bread
- Apple Granola Bars
- Apple Cider Donut Holes
- Caramel Apple Scones
- Apple Waffles
- Apple Baked Oatmeal
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
For the Cake
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon powdered star anise
- 2 medium apples cut into thin slices
For the Topping
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup quick oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven tp 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. Spray the sides lightly with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add the applesauce, yogurt, and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and star anise. Slowly beat it into the butter mixture.
- Spread the batter in the pan. Arrange the apple slices around the top of the cake. Do not overlap.
- Mix together the flour, oats, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs on it. Let cool completely. Remove the sides of the pan.
- Stir together powdered sugar and water. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Apple Crumble Cake was first published September 2015. The post and photos were updated and republished October 2021.