A layer of peppermint buttercream frosting and candy bars add a festive touch to these Chocolate Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Bars. This easy cookie bar recipe will disappear in a hurry from your Christmas cookie trays.
It's official. I am in full blown "peppermint all the things" mode! Every year about this time I get the urge to add peppermint to every thing I make. Something about cooler weather and Christmas music does it to me.
Peppermint and eggnog are my two favorite holiday flavors for Christmas, so I hope you are ready for a month of recipes using those flavors.
Of course, I will add a few other things here and there because my family will revolt if I try to peppermint every single treat. They like peppermint, but they are not as nuts over it as I am. Yes, I'm aware that I might be living with aliens.
I made these Eggnog Sugar Cookie Bars a few years ago, and since then my poor cookie cutters have been neglected. Call me lazy, but I love that these cookie bars are baked and frosted in the same pan.
I am all about easy holiday treats when things get busy with parties and events. Recently, I made these Salted Caramel Chocolate Sugar Cookie Bars, and I thought they would make a delicious holiday treat with a few changes.
The cookie layer stayed the same, but I added peppermint to the frosting and sprinkled these chopped peppermint bark candy bars to the top.
Pink and red sprinkles would have added more color, but my family frowns upon sprinkles. I say sprinkle everything, but since they will brush them off, I left them out this time.
I do not know what is wrong with them. Clearly, they are aliens!
How to make Chocolate Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and milk and beat again.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until a soft dough forms. This may take more time if you are using a hand mixer.
- Press the chocolate cookie dough evenly into the bottom of a lined 9x13 pan. Bake and cool.
- Beat together the frosting ingredients until light and fluffy. Spread on cooled chocolate cookie bars.
- Add chopped peppermint bark candy bars to the top.
Tips for making cookie bars:
- Set the butter out ahead of time. Soft butter is so much easier to beat the sugar into.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until dough forms. It will look crumbly, but keep mixing. A stand mixer does make this easier.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan. I like to line my baking dish with foil because it makes it easier to lift out for cutting.
- Chop the candy bars into small pieces while the cookies are baking. Resist the urge to eat them all!
- Add the peppermint extract very carefully. Too much will make your frosting taste like toothpaste, and no one will eat them.
- Make sure your cookie bars are completely cool before spreading the peppermint frosting on top. If they are warm, it will melt the frosting.
- Store the bars in a tightly sealed container, so that they stay soft for days.
Other peppermint recipes to make for Christmas cookie trays:
- Peppermint Chip Brownies
- Oreo Peppermint Crunch Cookies
- Peppermint Bark Oreo Thins
- Chocolate Peppermint Fluff Cookie Cups
- Peppermint Brownie Truffles
- Peppermint Cookies and Cream Fudge
*This post contains an affiliate link. Inside BruCrew Life may receive a small percentage from sales made through these links. This does not cost you anything extra. Thank you for letting us share products we love and use.
**The post for Chocolate Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Bars was first published November 30, 2016. The photos and post were updated and republished December 1, 2020.
Beautiful recipe Jocelyn! I don't like sprinkles and I don't think it'll be great here (guess I'm an alien to some people too lol), so yes to the candy bar pieces. I think I can try this tomorrow. Thanks.
Thank you 🙂 LOL I hope you know I'm just teasing about people being aliens for not liking sprinkles. I always give my family a hard time for brushing them off...but I still keep putting them on. I hope you enjoy the bars with the chocolate pieces!
GUUUUUUUURL YOU ARE SPEAKING MY LANUGAGE!!!!!!
I love peppermint desserts! And I'm trying to cram in as much peppermint and eggnog that I can this time of year 🙂 These cookie bars are so easy, love that!
The chewy texture and the soft icing are an addictive combination! I am thinking that I need to jump on the cookie bar bandwagon! I'm also ready to trade in the flavors of fall for peppermint and eggnog! 🙂
I love peppermint, but my guys only like plain mint. These would make a yummy treat, so I am thinking of using Andes Mints and green mint for the frosting.
Mint is a good idea too. I actually made a mint chocolate version last year. https://insidebrucrewlife.com/chocolate-mint-sugar-cookie-bars/ I hope you enjoy them!!!