This easy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Cookies recipe is full of chocolate and Oreo cookie chunks. They are the perfect after school snack, lunch box snack, or midnight snack. You choose!
For some reason this week I am obsessed with all things cookies.
I think it is because this is back to school week for our kiddos. In just one short day, we will go back to our normal daily routine.
Not that we change our routine much during the summer, but it definitely changes from what we are normally used too. There have been a few too many late nights watching tv or movies, then sleeping in every morning and getting a late start to the day.
That kind of throws off the whole day because then I have a hard time fitting in some sort of exercise. This is the week that changes. All those extra little snacks and desserts from our summer vacations and day trips have started to make a difference in how my jeans are fitting now. Time for more smoothies and lean and green meals for sure.
Of course, drinking a Vanilla Pineapple Smoothie and eating heathy dinners makes me dream about cookies even more. You would not believe how many new combos I have thought through in just one day!
I had to giggle at our daughter last night. I was grumbling under my breath about eating a healthy protein bar as I left the room and all of a sudden I heard laughing in the living room.
Apparently, my daughter was informing my hubby that “Mom, doesn’t want that kind of bar. She wants Reese’s Gooey Cake Bars.” Man, does she know me or what!!!
Of course, now I have tons of ideas running through my head for more gooey bars too. Dang it!!!
These cookies and cream cookies made with a cake mix are one of my daughter’s favorite cookies. Of course, anything cookies and cream gets her vote.
What are Cake Mix Cookies?
Basically it is just what it sounds like. It is a shortcut cookie made from using a store bought cake mix instead of regular dry ingredients.
Using just a few more ingredients, you can transform any flavor of cake mix into a soft delicious cookie.
The fun comes when you start deciding what extra ingredients you want to add to the cookie. Here is a list of some of our favorite mix-ins:
- Candy – M&M’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers, Bunch a Crunch, Reese’s Pieces, Peppermint Patties, Rolos
- Dried Fruit – cherries, blueberries, cranberries
- Cookies – Oreos, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, Animal Crackers
- Chocolate Chips – white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, mint, peppermint
- Sprinkles, Nuts, Maraschino Cherries
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Cookies:
- Mix together a cake mix, butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla until a soft dough forms. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Gently stir in chocolate chips and Oreo cookie chunks.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. An hour is better if you have the time.
- Scoop dough into 24 even dough balls and bake.
- Adding cream cheese to the batter makes these white cake mix cookies taste like cheesecake cookies. Make sure you set the butter and cream cheese out ahead of time.
- Feel free to use your favorite mix-ins. Today we went with Oreo cookie chunks and two kinds of chocolate chips. There is no right or wrong combo when it comes to these easy cake mix cookies.
- Make sure you do not over bake them. They will look under done when the timer goes off! Trust me, and take your cookie pan out of the oven.
- These easy cake mix cookies will continue to bake on the hot baking sheet! Give the tops of the cookies a tap with a flat spatula after 2 minutes. When they cool completely, they will be set up and ready to eat. Of course, I suggest trying these Oreo cheesecake cookies warm and gooey!
I promise you these soft cake mix cookies will not last long enough to tempt you during the day. My family gobbles up these Oreo cookies in no time at all!
You can also change these cookies and cream cookies up for different holidays by adding colored candies and sprinkles. These Fireworks Cookies and Cream Cookies are loaded with lots of red, white, and blue fun.
More easy cake mix cookies recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies – soft vanilla cookies loaded with chocolate chips and cherry chunks and topped with a hidden cherry and chocolate
- Chocolate Mint Cookies – chocolate cookies filled with mint cookie chunks and chocolate and mint chocolate chips
- Peanut Butter Fluffernutter Cookies – peanut butter cookies with a toasted marshmallow and a peanut butter filled chocolate bar
- Chocolate Candy Cookies – chocolate cookies made with Butterfingers and mini M&M’s
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Oreo cookie chunks
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the cake mix, butter, egg, vanilla, and cream cheese. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in the cookie chunks and chocolate chips by hand.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to an hour. Roll the dough into 24 even balls.
- Place the dough balls on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Do not over bake! The cookies will seem under done, but will continue to set up as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Tap the tops of the cookies with a flat spatula to even them out.
- Move the cookies to a wire rack or a piece of parchment paper on the counter to cool completely. Store in a sealed container once they are completely cooled.
*You can also roll the dough into 36 balls and bake for 9 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Cookies was first published on February 18, 2014. The photos have been updated, and it was republished on August 12, 2019. Click here to pin for later.
**This post does contain affiliate links. Inside BruCrew Life may receive a small percentage from sales made through these links. These do not cost you any extra. Thank you for letting us share products we use and love this way!