These Cookies and Cream Cookies made with two kinds of chocolate chips and Oreo cookie chunks is our number one cookie recipe. Cake mix cookies are the perfect dessert for any occasion because they are so easy to make and fun to customize.
Why These Oreo Cake Cookies Work
For some reason this week I am obsessed with all things cookies. Not just any cookies though. Easy cake mix cookies have become my favorite type of cookie to make.
They are easy to mix up, you can customize them with your favorite mix-ins, and they stay soft and chewy for days.
These cookies and cream cookies made with a cake mix, chocolate chips, and Oreo cookies are one of our daughter's favorite cookies. Of course, anything with cookies and cream is never a bad idea!
What are Cake Mix Cookies?
Cake mix cookies are a shortcut cookie made from using a store bought cake mix instead of regular dry ingredients.
Using just a few more ingredients, you can transform any flavor of cake mix into a soft delicious cookie.
The fun comes when you start deciding what extra ingredients you want to add to the cookie. Here is a list of some of our favorite mix-ins.
- Candy - M&M's, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers, Bunch a Crunch, Reese's Pieces, Peppermint Patties, Rolos
- Dried Fruit - cherries, blueberries, cranberries, shredded coconut
- Cookies - Oreos, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, Animal Crackers
- Chocolate Chips - white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, mint, peppermint
- Extras - Sprinkles, Nuts, Maraschino Cherries
These cake mix Oreo cookies are so easy to make in minutes with a cake mix and a few other ingredients. Trust me and make a double batch because the cookies and cream goodness will disappear in a hurry.
- Vanilla Cake Mix - You will only be using the dry powdered mix.
- Butter - Set it out ahead of time, so it is soft enough to mix in.
- Egg - Provides the moisture needed to create a soft cookie dough.
- Cream Cheese - The secret ingredient that gives these cake mix cookies a soft and gooey texture.
- Vanilla - Adds a splash of flavor.
- Oreo Cookies - Chop or crush the cookies into chunks. Be careful not to crush them into crumbs when you mix them in.
- Chocolate Chips - A mixture of white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips is a good combo. Feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand.
How to make Cookies and Cream Cookies
The dough for these chocolate chip cookies and cream cookies comes together in minutes. Be sure to plan enough time because the dough does need some chill time before baking.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, butter, cream cheese, egg, and vanilla until a soft dough forms.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips and Oreo cookie chunks. Do not over mix.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 60 minutes. (2 hours is better.)
- Scoop dough into 24 even dough balls, roll into a ball, and bake.
Tips and Tricks
- Adding cream cheese to the batter makes these white cake mix cookies taste like Oreo cheesecake cookies. Make sure you set the butter and cream cheese out ahead of time.
- Feel free to use your favorite mix-ins. Today we went with Oreo cookie chunks and two kinds of chocolate chips. There is no right or wrong combo when it comes to these easy cake mix cookies.
- Make sure you do not over bake them. They WILL look under done when the timer goes off! Trust me, and take them out of the oven.
- These easy cookies and creme cookies will continue to bake on the hot baking sheet! Give the tops of the cookies a tap with a flat spatula after 2 minutes if they are too puffy. When they cool completely, they will be set up and ready to eat.
You can make the dough for these cookies 1-2 days ahead of time. Keep the dough in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to bake. You can also freeze the dough balls in a freezer bag. Thaw in the fridge before baking.
On the Counter - Store the baked cookies in a tightly sealed container once they have cooled completely.
In the Freezer - Baked cookies can also be made ahead of time and frozen for later. Place cookies in individual bags or in between layers of parchment paper in larger bags or containers. They will keep for 1-2 months in the freezer.
These cookies and cream cookies are so easy to customize for different holidays by using colored candies, sprinkles, and different flavors of Oreo cookies.
- Chocolate Mint Cookies - chocolate cake mix, mint Oreos, mint M&Ms
- 4th of July Cookies -vanilla cake mix, Oreo cookies, red white and blue M&Ms and sprinkles
- Chocolate Halloween Cookies - chocolate cake mix, Oreos with orange frosting, Halloween M&M's
- Peppermint Cookies - vanilla cake mix, Oreo cookies, peppermint crunch chips
More Cake Mix Cookies
- Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Fluffernutter Cookies
- Candy Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Peppermint Patty Cookies
- Kiss Cookies
- Rolo Snickerdoodle Cookies
- PB&J Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
This post was first published February 2014. It was updated and republished April 2021.