Ice Cream Tacos are the perfect way to up your dessert game! Delicious and irresistible, these tortillas are filled with ice cream and topped with melted chocolate and nuts or sprinkles. You won’t find a more delicious and fun treat anywhere else!
*I am partnering with Dixie Crystals to bring you this ice cream taco recipe.
Taco Tuesday is hands down the best day of the week. It's the day tacos steal the spotlight and turn an ordinary weeknight into a fiesta.
But did you know that tacos aren't just for dinner? Dessert tacos are a cool food trend that combines the best of both worlds. Rainbow sprinkles and vanilla ice cream stuffed in savory tortillas with cinnamon sugar will elevate your taco night.
Why You Will Love Tacos and Ice Cream
Ice cream tacos are a fun and delicious way to enjoy ice cream. Get creative and add choose toppings that fit your style and taste buds!
- No special equipment is needed. You can bake the taco shells on the bottom of a muffin tin.
- Saves money. Specialty ice cream treats can be pretty pricey because they range from $4-5 apiece. You can make ten homemade tacos for around $15, making them $1.50 each.
- Hand-held snack. Each taco is individually wrapped, so it's easy to take on the go or share with friends for a sweet treat!
- Sweet nostalgic treat! One bite of the homemade dessert taco will bring back memories of running after the ice cream truck as a child.
Only 6 ingredients plus toppings are needed to make this ice cream tacos recipe.
- Soft Tortillas - Use the smallest shells you can find. We found that the street tacos were the perfect size. Mission brand has sweet Hawaiian tortillas that are delicious for these frozen treats.
- Butter - Melted butter adds flavor and also keeps the sugar on the shells.
- Cinnamon Sugar - Ground cinnamon and granulated sugar add a crunchy coating to the baked tortillas.
- Ice Cream - Use any flavor of store bought ice cream you like.
- Chocolate Chips - Semi-sweet, dark, or milk chocolate can be used for the quick hardening coating.
- Coconut Oil - You want to use an oil with no flavor or one that goes well with chocolate. When melted together, it makes a crunchy candy shell topping
- Toppings - Rainbow sprinkles and chopped nuts add a fun color and taste.
How To Make Ice Cream Tacos
Creating ice cream tacos is a breeze. Fill the baked tortillas with ice cream, and then unleash your creativity by adding colorful sprinkles, chocolate drizzles, or crunchy nuts. It's a fantastic dessert option for both skilled cooks and beginner bakers.
- Coat the shells with butter and cinnamon sugar. Stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Brush melted butter on one side of the shells and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the ice cream taco shells. To make a taco shell shape, fold the tortillas in half. Place them on an upside-down muffin tin with the sugary side facing up. Bake and cool completely.
- Assemble the dessert tacos. Allow the ice cream to soften slightly, then spoon the ice cream into the center of the shells. Fill the shells completely and smooth out the edges. Place on a parchment paper lined tray and freeze for at least one hour.
- Add toppings. Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until creamy, then spoon over the top of each frozen taco. Quickly add sprinkles or nuts before the chocolate hardens.
See the Full Recipe
I am sharing the ingredients and full instructions for this ice cream taco recipe on the Dixie Crystals site.
Wrap each sweet taco individually in plastic wrap or place each into small Ziplock bags once the chocolate is set. Store in the freezer for one month.
Tips and Tricks
- Use other shells. Waffles, pancakes, crepes, or wonton wrappers can all be used as "shells".
- Save time with a chocolate magic shell. This can be used in place of the chocolate and coconut oil, although we found it to be thin and runny.
- Use homemade ice cream. Remember to allow plenty of time for the ice cream to harden before using it.
- Get creative with your toppings! Customize each with your favorite ice cream, then add crushed cookies, chocolate chips, sprinkles, cereal, chopped nuts, or toasted coconut.
- Serve with dipping sauces. Have small containers filled with caramel, chocolate, marshmallow, or whipped cream available to dip the tacos into.
Ice Cream Taco Variations
- Cookies and Cream Tacos - Cookies and cream ice cream, chocolate topping, and chopped Oreo cookies.
- S'mores Tacos - Marshmallow ice cream, chocolate topping, graham cracker crumbs, and marshmallow bits.
- Reese's Tacos - Chocolate peanut butter ice cream, chocolate topping, and chopped Reese's peanut butter cups and mini Reese's Pieces.
- Strawberry Shortcake Tacos - Strawberry ice cream, white chocolate topping, freeze-dried strawberries, and golden Oreo crumbs.
- Homemade Choco Tacos - Fudge swirl ice cream, chocolate topping, chopped nuts.
Yes, you can bake the shells 1-2 days ahead of time. Once they have cooled, store them in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
Wrap the frozen ice cream tacos in plastic wrap and place them in a ziplock bag. They will last in the freezer for one month.
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
More Frozen Treats
*Dixie Crystals sponsored this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*