These Espresso Brownies are thick and fudgy with a kick of coffee. Made with dark cocoa powder and instant espresso powder, the decadent brownies will melt in your mouth. They are the ultimate treat for anyone who loves chocolate and coffee.
*I am partnering with Dixie Crystals to bring you this espresso brownie recipe.
Homemade brownies are one of the easiest desserts to make. They really are just as easy to make as a box mix. All you need is 10 minutes and one bowl to make the best dark chocolate brownies you will ever eat.
Over the years I have always made these chocolate chip brownies and Oreo brownies for parties and events. Then I made these espresso brownies and they officially became our new favorite brownies to bring to everything.
I seriously dream about these dark and rich brownies. What I love most about these brownies is how thick and chewy they are. Plus, the coffee gives them a kick of caffeine and really enhances the chocolate flavor.
Adding different things to chocolate can bring out the rich flavor. This Dr Pepper Cake is another way of adding something to chocolate to make the taste even more amazing.
Why Make These
Coffee lovers will fall in love with these dark chocolate espresso brownies after just one bite. They are thick, fudgy, and have an intense chocolate flavor.
Espresso powder is the secret to making these brownies taste amazing. It deepens the flavor of the chocolate and gives them a rich flavor that you will love.
The easy espresso brownies will satisfy your sweet tooth and your love for coffee. They are the ultimate dessert for any party, picnic, or barbecue.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this fudgy espresso brownie recipe.
- Butter - Softened unsalted butter adds a rich flavor. If you are using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar sweetens and balances the cocoa powder.
- All Purpose Flour - These brownies do not need a lot of flour. Learn how to properly measure flour using a spoon.
- Dark Cocoa Powder - The key to dark chocolate brownies is a dark cocoa powder. Hershey's is the one we always use. Regular cocoa can be used, but the brownies will be lighter in color.
- Instant Espresso Powder - Adds a rich coffee flavor and deepens the flavor of the chocolate. DeLallo is my favorite brand of instant powder because it dissolves easily into liquids and batters. You could use regular espresso powder but the brownies will have a grittier texture.
How to Make
All you need is one bowl to make this easy coffee brownie recipe in minutes. Mix, pour, bake, and enjoy.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again until it is smooth and pale yellow.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a spatula to spread the brownie batter evenly in a prepared pan and bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into 16 squares.
See the Full Recipe
I am sharing the ingredients and the full instructions for this espresso brownie recipe over on Dixie Crystals site.
Keep the cooled brownies in an air tight container. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze these brownies for 1-2 months. Wrap the cooled cut brownies in plastic wrap and then in foil.
Place them in a large ziplock bag and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving. Reheat in the microwave for 10 seconds for a soft, gooey texture.
Tips and Tricks
- Set the butter out ahead of time. Softened butter is much easier to mix into the other ingredients.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. You can use binder clips to hold it in place until you add the batter. After baking, you can lift the brownies out easily.
- Measure the flour and cocoa powder correctly. Fluff with a spoon and gently place in your measuring cup. You will end up with too much if you scoop or pack.
- Preheat your oven while making the batter. Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is at the right temperature.
- Use a wooden toothpick or skewer to test the baked brownies. You want a few moist crumbs to be on it. It is best to pull the brownies out slightly under done because they will firm up as they cool.
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting them with a plastic knife. This will keep them from sticking and crumbling apart.
- Add a scoop of homemade cookies and cream ice cream for an amazing brownie dessert.
What does espresso powder do in brownies?
Adding espresso powder to brownies helps to intensify the chocolate flavor. The instant coffee crystals dissolve into the brownie batter and give it a mocha flavor that is amazing.
Do these brownies have caffeine in them?
This brownie recipe has ½ cup of instant espresso powder baked into it. That means that each brownie square has as much caffeine as 1 cup of coffee.
Can these coffee brownies be made in a different pan?
Yes, if you would prefer thinner brownies, bake them in a 9x13 pan for 25-30 minutes.
More Brownie Recipes
- Easy Fudge Brownie Recipe
- Coconut Brownies
- M&M Brownies
- Rainbow Chip Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies with frosting
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*Dixie Crystals has sponsored this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands we use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*
Have you tried making these with gluten-free flour?
I have not tried making these with any flour other than all purpose. If you use one that is specifically cup for cup, it should be fine.