This one minute Keto Microwave Lava Cake is a delicious and healthy dessert for chocolate lovers. Making a lava cake in a mug is easy to do in minutes. Plus, it is sugar free and low carb, so it is the perfect dessert that will not ruin your health goals.
Chocolate Lava Cake
Since it is the month for all things chocolate, I had to find a way to make a delicious gooey chocolate dessert that was healthy too. And let me tell you, this is one gooey chocolate mug cake that you are going to love.
One of my favorite desserts of all time is the chocolate melting cake that you get onboard a Carnival cruise. In fact, if you ask our youngest son what his favorite dessert is he will say chocolate chip brownies and lava cake.
Now don't get your hopes up thinking that this molten chocolate mug cake on your screen is just like the cruise dessert. It's kind of close, but Carnival will win every time. I definitely don't want you comparing them at all.
But if you are someone that is eating healthy and looking for a good low carb chocolate dessert or you just want a simple chocolate dessert in a minute, I have just the dessert for you!!!
Over the years I have seen and tried so many different recipes for a simple chocolate cake in a mug. And almost every time I have been disappointed. The ones I have tried before have either been dry or rubbery. So honestly, when I started testing this easy chocolate dessert, I didn't have high hopes.
But I was determined to find a way to make a simple, one minute microwave lava cake that tasted amazing, so I kept playing with the ratios until I had success. The best part about this recipe is how stinking easy it is.
In less than 5 minutes, you can be digging your spoon into a hot gooey chocolate mug cake. The other good thing is that it only makes one cake. Usually when you make a chocolate cake, you have so much cake leftover, and it tempts you to eat a few more slivers.
What you need to make a Keto Lava Cake
Using these simple ingredients will give you a low carb chocolate cake in minutes that tastes incredible.
- Almond Flour - This flour keeps it low carb, is packed with nutrients, and has a slightly sweeter taste.
- Dark Cocoa Powder - I prefer the rich, dark flavor and color this gives, but regular cocoa powder is fine too.
- Baking Powder & Sea Salt - for leavening and flavor.
- Sweetener of Choice - I have tried this with Stevia and Monkfruit sweetener, and it was good both ways.
- Coconut Milk - Use the unsweetened coconut milk in a carton for the least amount of calories and fat; you can also you any other milk you prefer.
- Egg Yolk - All you need for this recipe is the yolk; save the egg white for breakfast.
- Chocolate Chips - If you use just a little bit of mini chocolate chips, it will give you more chocolate without too many calories. You can also use sugar free chocolate chips, and they are good too.
How to make Chocolate Lava Cake in a Mug
This molten chocolate cake comes together in minutes. Getting all the ingredients out and measuring them is the longest part of making a keto chocolate lava cake in a microwave.
- Stir together the almond flour, cocoa powder, stevia, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Pour the coconut milk, egg yolk, vanilla, and coconut oil into the center and stir until mixed in.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and pour into a microwave safe mug that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for 50-60 seconds.
- Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, then top with whipped cream from scratch (using a sugar free sweetener) and a fresh raspberry and get ready to dig into the best microwave lava cake!!!
BRUCREW TIP: If you have a lower watt microwave, this will need to cook a little bit longer than 1 minute. I recommend 1 ½ minutes.
- Stir your batter in the same mug that you cook it in, so you have less dishes to wash.
- If you want to cut all the sugar out of this Keto mug cake, use sugar free chocolate chips. I have tried the Lily's dark chocolate chips, and they are really good.
- Please remember that all microwaves are different, so yours may cook different than mine.
As you can see in these photos, if I cook a mug cake at 50 seconds it is awesome and gooey. If I cook the same mug cake for 55 seconds, it isn't quite as gooey, but still really delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this microwave chocolate mug cake with regular baking ingredients?
Yes, you can make this lava cake recipe using regular flour, sugar, and milk instead of all the healthy ingredients. It will definitely be higher in sugar and carbs, and the texture is slightly different, but it still tastes amazing!
What do you top a healthy chocolate lava cake with?
If you want to make a sugar free whipped cream, beat 1 cup heavy cream with a little bit of stevia powder or powdered Swerve until thick and fluffy.
Or you can use some canned Reddiwhip. They have a lower sugar and dairy free whip that is easy to find, and it won't ruin your low carb goals.
Can you make a microwave lava cake ahead of time?
Chocolate lava cake is best eaten right away. Reheating or refrigerating a cooked lava cake will make you loose out on the gooey middle.
You can prep the chocolate batter ahead of time and place the covered cup in the microwave. When you are ready to eat your keto lava cake, microwave it for 65-70 seconds.
Other Healthy Desserts
- Cookies for breakfast? Why yes you can. These Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with chocolate and are only 73 calories each. Oh, yeah!
- Keep your fridge stocked with this easy Low Carb Jello. They are a great "sweet" snack to enjoy when you need something to tame the raging sugar monster.
- Enjoy a few of these little Granola Bites when you need a quick pick me up in the afternoon. Perfect to keep you full until dinner!
- Make these little Healthy No Bake Mini Cheesecake Bites for a delicious and lighted up cheesecake dessert.
- This fruit topped Orange Frozen Yogurt is a delicious and healthy recipe to enjoy for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- 3 tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Stevia In the Raw or Monkfruit Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoons Reddiwhip, optional
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, Stevia, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the milk, egg yolk, coconut oil, and vanilla into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Spray a mug with nonstick spray and pour the batter into it.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds on high. All microwaves cook differently so you may need to test it a few times to find what time and texture you like the most.
- Let sit 1-2 minutes before eating. Top with 1-2 Tablespoons Reddiwhip and a fresh raspberry, if desired.
- If you have a lower watt microwave, you will need to cook the lava cake for about 90 seconds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 10g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.