This easy one minute Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers. Make two and enjoy them on Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart.
Since it is the month for all things chocolate, I had to find a way to make a delicious gooey chocolate dessert that was healthy too. And let me tell you, this is one gooey chocolate mug cake that you are going to love.
One of my favorite desserts of all time is the chocolate melting cake that you get onboard a Carnival cruise. In fact, if you ask our youngest son what his favorite dessert is he will say Homemade Brownies and lava cake.
Now don’t get your hopes up thinking that this molten chocolate mug cake on your screen is just like the cruise dessert. It’s kind of close, but Carnival will win every time. I definitely don’t want you comparing them at all.
But if you are someone that is eating healthy and looking for a good low carb chocolate dessert or you just want a simple chocolate dessert in a minute, I have just the dessert for you!!!
Over the years I have seen and tried so many different recipes for a simple chocolate cake in a mug. And almost every time I have been disappointed. The ones I have tried before have either been dry or rubbery. So honestly, when I started testing this easy chocolate dessert, I didn’t have high hopes.
But I was determined to find a way to make a simple, one minute microwave lava cake that tasted amazing, so I kept playing with the ratios until I had success. The best part about this recipe is how stinking easy it is.
In less than 5 minutes, you can be digging your spoon into a hot gooey chocolate mug cake. The other good thing is that it only makes one cake. Usually when you make a chocolate cake, you have so much cake leftover, and it tempts you to eat a few more slivers.
What you need to make a Healthy Lava Cake:
- Almond Flour – this keeps it low carb, is packed with nutrients, and a slightly sweeter taste
- Dark Cocoa Powder – I prefer the dark, but regular cocoa is fine too
- Baking Powder and Salt – for leavening and flavor
- Sweetener of Choice – I have tried this with Stevia and Monkfruit sweetener, and it was good both ways.
- Coconut Milk – use the unsweetened coconut milk in a carton for the least amount of calories and fat; you can also you any other milk you prefer.
- Egg Yolk – all you need for this recipe is the yolk; save the egg white for breakfast.
- Chocolate Chips – if you use just a little bit of mini chocolate chips, it will give you chocolate without too many calories. You can also use sugar free chocolate chips, and they are good too.
How to make Chocolate Lava Cake in a Mug:
- Stir together the almond flour, cocoa powder, stevia, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the coconut milk, egg yolk, vanilla, and coconut oil into the center and stir until mixed in.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and pour into a mug that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for 50-60 seconds.
- Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, then top with whipped cream and a fresh raspberry and get ready to dig into the best microwave lava cake!!!
Tips to remember when making a Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake:
- Stir your batter in the same mug that you cook it in, so you have less dishes to wash.
- If you you want to cut all the sugar out of this Keto mug cake, use unsweetened chocolate chips. I have tried the Lily’s dark chocolate chips, and they are really good.
- Please remember that all microwaves are different, so yours may cook differently than mine.
As you can see in these photos, if I cook a mug cake at 50 seconds it is awesome and gooey. If I cook the same mug cake for 55 seconds, it isn’t quite as gooey, but still really delicious.
Can you make this mug cake with regular baking ingredients?
Yes, you can make this dark chocolate mug cake using regular flour, sugar, and milk instead of all the healthy ingredients. It will definitely be higher in sugar and carbs, and the texture is slightly different, but it still tastes amazing!
Trust me. I’ve tested it for you. A few times…
If you want to make a sugar free whipped cream, go ahead and beat heavy cream and stevia powder until thick and fluffy. Or you can use some canned Reddiwhip. It’s easy, and it won’t ruin your low carb goals.
Other Healthy Desserts you may enjoy:
- Cookies for breakfast? Why yes you can. These Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies are loaded with chocolate and are only 73 calories each. Oh, yeah!
- Keep your fridge stocked with these easy Low Carb Cherry Jello Parfaits. They are a great “sweet” snack to enjoy when you need something to tame the raging sugar monster.
- Enjoy a few of these little Skinny Peanut Butter Granola Bites when you need a quick pick me up in the afternoon. Perfect to keep you full until dinner!
- Make these little Healthy No Bake Mini Cheesecake Bites for a delicious and lighted up cheesecake dessert.
- These fruit topped Raspberry Orange Frozen Yogurt Bowls are a delicious and healthy recipe to enjoy for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see all the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 3 Tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons Stevia In the Raw
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 Tablespoons Reddiwhip, optional
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, Stevia, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the milk, egg yolk, coconut oil, and vanilla into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Spray a mug with nonstick spray and pour the batter into it.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds on high. All microwaves cook differently so you may need to test it a few times to find what time and texture you like the most.
- Let sit 1-2 minutes before eating. Top with 1-2 Tablespoons Reddiwhip and a fresh raspberry, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 33.4gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 16.8gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 5.2gProtein: 10g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.