This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is the easiest, cheesiest, homemade dish you can make without having to open a can of condensed soup. It is the perfect comfort dish for holidays, breakfast brunches, or potluck dinners.
This easy hash brown casserole is a tried and true meal. I think everyone has a version of this side dish in their house. I remember having them at church dinners where everyone called them funeral potatoes. Quite the name for this cheesy casserole, huh?
This easy side dish is a staple in most homes. It is a true favorite for holidays, dinners, or potlucks because it is pure comfort food for sure.
This copycat Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole is also a delicious side dish that can be served at most dinners.
It is also a delicious side dish when served at church potlucks or summer barbecues.
This cheesy hash brown casserole without soup is so easy to make and is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
- Onions - you can also use a mixture of red and green peppers with the onions
- Butter and Flour - the flour combines with the butter and milk to create a homemade roux
- Milk and Chicken Broth - the mixture of both adds a great flavor to the casserole
- Sour Cream - Greek yogurt would also work great
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - shred your own cheese because it makes such a big difference in casseroles
- Hash Brown Potatoes - shredded or cubed are fine
- Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper - for flavor
How to make Homemade Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes
You may have your own variation to this homemade hash brown casserole, but I wanted to share how I make our hashbrown casserole recipe a little different than others.
- Sauté the diced onions and butter in a large pot.
- Add some flour and cook for one minute, then whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream and shredded cheese.
- Add the bag of thawed hash browns, seasonings, and more cheese and stir until mixed together.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased casserole dish and top with another layer of cheese.
- Bake until heated through. Serve with parsley and pepper.
- Make cheesy hash brown potatoes with corn flakes. Crush 2 cups of corn flakes slightly. Stir in ¼ cup melted butter and add this to the top of the casserole.
- You can also use Ritz crackers or potato chips for the topping.
- Add cooked crumbled bacon or ham to the potato mixture before pouring it into the baking dish.
Do you have to thaw the hash browns?
Not necessarily. If you forget to thaw the hashbrown potatoes, bake the casserole covered for 50 minutes and then uncovered for 10.
Can this hashbrown casserole recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes. Make the potatoes but do not bake them. Spoon the mixture into a greased pan, cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking. Make sure to remove the pan from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. You may need to add extra time if they are still cold.
Can I make these cheesy potatoes in a crock pot?
Yes you can. Spoon the potato mixture into a greased crock pot or slow cooker and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through and bubbly.
Is this hashbrown casserole freezer-friendly?
Yes. Prepare the copycat Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole without baking, store in an airtight freezer-friendly container, and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake as directed.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Easy Sweet Potato Souffle
- Roasted Veggies
- Easy Corn Casserole
- Banana Split Dessert Salad
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
Other Dinner Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta Casserole
- Bacon Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Homemade Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole was first published on November 18, 2015. The pictures and the post were updated and republished November 11, 2019.