This Bacon Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food for any night of the week. The rich and creamy cheese sauce is easy to make in under 30 minutes and will satisfy everyone at your dinner table.
Why You Will Love This Pasta
Craving comfort food? We've got you covered. Macaroni and cheese is the perfect comfort food. It is creamy, cheesy, and satisfies everyone.
And we kicked up our recipe a notch by adding bacon. Bacon makes everything better, so adding it to our mac and cheese recipe gave it that extra delicious twist. There is a slight smokey and salty flavor that tastes amazing!
The best part is that this pasta recipe is so easy to make. It only takes 30 minutes to prep everything and make it on the stove top.
If you are looking for a fast dinner idea that will please everyone at the table, give our homemade mac and cheese a try tonight! You won't be able to resist a second helping.
This macaroni and cheese with bacon only uses 7 ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. The best part is that the creamy cheese sauce comes together in minutes.
- Pasta - We prefer to use classic macaroni noodles for this recipe. Feel free to use whatever noodle you like.
- Onion - Adds a slight mild flavor to the sauce.
- Evaporated Milk - Canned milk gives the sauce a very creamy texture.
- Cheddar Cheese - For best results, shred blocks of cheddar cheese instead of using the pre-shredded cheese. We grated 1 cup each of white cheddar, medium cheddar, and sharp cheddar for our mix.
- Bacon - Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook in a hot skillet until crispy. Use paper towels to pat the bacon grease off.
BRUCREW TIP: I like to prep ingredients ahead of time. Cook and drain the noodles first thing in the morning. Add a little bit of olive oil, so they do not stick together. Cook, crumble, and measure the bacon ahead of time. Keep it in a ziplock bag in the fridge until time to stir it into the homemade cheese sauce.
How to make Bacon Mac and Cheese
This pasta dish is creamy, cheesy, and full of bacon goodness. Plus, it only takes 30 minutes to make it on the stove top.
- Cook the Pasta. Bring a pot of water to boil, then add the pasta noodles. Cook until done. Drain and rinse in cool water.
- Make the Sauce. Use a large skillet to sauté the onions with oil until tender. Stir in the garlic and milk and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat; add the cheese and stir until melted and creamy.
- Combine and Serve. Stir the drained pasta and crumbled bacon into the cheese sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately with any remaining bacon.
Make it a Full Meal
This mac and cheese is hearty enough to be eaten alone for lunch or dinner. But if you want to serve it as a side dish, here are the recipes that I would recommend serving with it.
- Buy a bag of already cooked bacon. You can cook it in the microwave for a minute to crisp it up.
- Shred a block of cheddar cheese for the creamiest results. Pre-packed shredded cheese has a coating on it that makes it harder to melt and it also makes the sauce grainy.
- Grate the cheese ahead of time and store it in air tight bags in the refrigerator.
- Do not overheat the cheese sauce because it can make it become grainy.
- Tailor this homemade mac and cheese recipe to your own taste preferences by adding your favorite cheeses and spices.
Keep the creamy bacon mac and cheese in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheat leftovers on the stove top or microwave. You may need to add a splash of milk to activate the cheese sauce again.
Can you freeze mac and cheese?
Yes, a creamy cheesy macaroni and cheese freezes very well. The extra sauce helps to keep the noodles moist when you reheat the pasta.
Let the pasta cool completely, then spoon servings into a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Remove any plastic wrappings and reheat on the stovetop or microwave. Add 1 tablespoon of milk per serving to help the cheese sauce become creamy again.
Why is my cheese sauce grainy?
Overheat the cheese sauce or using already shredded cheese can cause a homemade cheese sauce to be grainy. To fix it, remove it from the heat immediately and let it cool for a few minutes. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice OR heavy cream (not both) and stir vigorously.
More Cheesy Pasta Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Stuffed Shells with Meat
- Cheesy Sausage Pasta
- Beefy Tortellini Skillet
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Pasta
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese was first published January 2017. It was updated January 2022.