Creamy frosting and a dusting of cinnamon sugar will make this Snickerdoodle Apple Cake disappear in a hurry. It is such an easy cake recipe to make for fall parties.
This week I sabotaged all of our healthy eating plans…with apples. I know that sounds kind of funny. I mean how can you ruin healthy eating with a fruit, right?
Well, if you are me, you dice those apples into bits and toss them into cake batter.
The idea for this sweet cake has been rolling around in my head for some time now. This week I finally put it together and then promptly ate half of it.
I kept telling myself that it was ok because I was just eating fruit. Ok, fine. It was apple cake covered in the creamiest, most delicious frosting ever!
Our kids love snacking on apple slices with peanut butter so we keep a few bags in the fridge at all times. I personally love having bags of apples on hand because I like to bake all the apple things in the fall.
The past few apple cakes that I have made have been totally from scratch. So, this month I decided to show you how to make a cake mix taste homemade with three kinds of apple love.
Apple juice, applesauce, and fresh shredded apples give this doctored cake mix a delicious apple flavor. I added some cinnamon to the batter and the frosting, so that the cake had more of a snickerdoodle taste too.
How to make a Snickerdoodle Apple Cake:
- Mix together the cake and pudding mixes, juice, applesauce, eggs, and spices.
- Stir flour into the shredded apples to help absorb the extra liquid and to also keep them from sinking in the cake batter. Gently stir them into the cake batter.
- Spread the batter in a greased pan and bake.
Decorating an Apple Cake:
Frosting: A homemade cinnamon vanilla butter cream adds so much flavor to this cake mix hack To make the cake look fancier, use a piping bag and icing tip 1m to swirl the frosting on top of the cake.
Cinnamon Sugar: A dusting of Cinnamon Sugar gives a pretty look to the swirls and a delicious sweet flavor.
Apple Slices: Add fresh apple slices to the top each slice right before serving.
More apple recipes you may like:
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Holes
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Apple Crisp Cheesecake
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For the Cake
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
For the Topping
- 2-3 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- sliced apples, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, apple juice, applesauce, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, and then 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Gently stir the shredded apples into the cake batter.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool.
- Beat the butter and vanilla until creamy. Add the salt and cinnamon and beat again.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream until light and fluffy. Spread or pipe on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the cake. Serve slices of cake with apple slices.
*You can also use a piping bag and large icing tip to swirl the frosting on top of the cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Snickerdoodle Apple Cake was first published February 20, 2017. The photos and post were updated and republished September 25, 2020.