A slice of this Apple Cider Cake is a delicious way to welcome in the fall season. Apples, apple cider, and spices give this easy cake a blast of fall flavor.
As soon as I see apple cider in the stores, I have to buy a jug for our fridge. Apple cider is just one of those things that says fall to me. Even when the weather outside still says it’s summer.
Although, lately it’s only been in the 80’s, so I think fall is trying to come to Florida. Woo hoo! Bring it on!!
I can totally see us being snow birds when we get older and the kids have moved out. Enjoy the fall months up north where we can enjoy the chilly air, changing leaves, and wearing sweatshirts. Then spend the winter and spring months here on the beach.
Now I just need to figure out a place to spend the hot, humid months of summer. Although, I’m pretty sure having three residences isn’t really in our budget. In fact, I don’t even think two would work. I guess I should start a separate account and start putting some money aside for this pipeline dream.
Until then, I’ll just enjoy a glass of Caramel Apple Cider Iced Tea and a pan of this delicious Apple Cider Cake to get me in the fall spirit.
A few years ago, I made this Snickerdoodle Apple Cake. Just by adding a few extra ingredients you can jazz up a boxed cake mix and have a spice cake that everyone will think is homemade.
The other day when I was in Target (surprise, surprise), I saw an apple cider cake mix and a can of apple cider frosting. I almost put them in my cart, but then I decided to just change up my apple cake recipe using apple cider.
Plus, I already had all the ingredients to do that, so why buy more, right? That just means extra money to browse the dollar spot and the clearance racks with.
Reducing Apple Cider
In order to get a more concentrated flavor in the apple cider, bring two cups of apple cider to a simmer on low heat until it is reduced to one cup.
Start checking the apple cider around 10 minutes to see how far it has reduced. You do still want this to be a liquid. So keep an eye on it, so it doesn’t simmer down to syrup.
Reducing the apple cider intensifies the flavors in the cider. Taking the time to do this step will give your baked goods so much extra flavor.
How to make Apple Cider Cake:
Reduce your apple cider ahead of time. You can even do this the night before, if you like. Just make sure to stir it or shake it up before using it.
Mix together all the cake ingredients, except the apples. Beat the batter for one minute on low, then two minutes on high.
Shred the apples in a food processor. You can take the peels off or leave them on. Either way works. Stir the flour into the shredded apples before stirring them into the cake batter.
Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for about 38 minutes. Cool and frost the Apple Cider Cake with a creamy homemade caramel apple cider frosting.
More Apple recipes you may enjoy:
- Apple Praline Cake
- Frosted Cinnamon Apple Bars
- Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cheesecake Danish
- Apple Turtle Cheesecake Tart
- Caramel Apple Cookie Cups
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Apple Cider Cake recipe:
For the Cake
- 2 cups apple cider, reduced and divided
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded apples
- 1 Tablespoon flour
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider (from reserved)
- Pour the apple cider into a small saucepan and bring it to a low simmer. Simmer until the mixture is reduced to 1 cup. Start checking at 10 minutes to see if it is reduced enough. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before using it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the cake mix, pudding, 3/4 cup cooled apple cider, applesauce, eggs, and spices for 1-2 minutes in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the flour into the shredded apples, then gently stir into the cake batter. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 38 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Beat the butter, caramel, and salt until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, apple pie spice, and 2 Tablespoons apple cider slowly.
- Beat on low until everything is mixed in, then beat on high for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Spread on top of the cooled cake. Store in a covered container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 192 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 106mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 25g Protein: 2g