These Mickey Mouse Cake Pops are a fun copycat recipe of the treats you can find at Disney Parks. Dark chocolate and sprinkles turn these simple chocolate cake pops into a treat that kids of all ages will love. Great for a Mickey Mouse party or for adding a touch of magic to your day.
Disney Cake Pops
One of our favorite things to do at Walt Disney World is to try all the different Disney snacks. From Pineapple Dole Whip, to Churros, to Corn Dogs...we have tried them all. A few weeks ago my husband and I took a day trip to Magic Kingdom.
While we were there we stopped at the Grand Floridian where we tried the large Mickey cake pop from Gasparilla Island Grill. Oh, my! It was so cute and tasted so good!
Not everyone has the luxury or desire to visit Disney World or Disney Land all the time or even once, so I wanted to show you how easy it is to recreate some of the fun Disney treats at home.
These Mickey Mouse Cake Pops are a fun copycat version of the ones sold in Disney bakeries and restaurants and at Disney Springs.
The chocolate fudge cake pop is covered in dark chocolate and sprinkles and has chocolate ears. Mickey shaped food is a fun way to add a little bit of Disney magic to your day.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cake Pops
These DIY Mickey cake pops are easy to make with just a few store bought ingredients.
- Cake Mix - any flavor will work
- Instant Pudding Mix - use the same flavor as the cake mix
- Eggs, Vegetable Oil, Water - adds moisture to the cake batter
- Chocolate Frosting - helps moisten and bind the cake crumbs together. You can also use 1 cup of this Dark Chocolate Frosting, if you prefer.
- Chocolate Melting Wafers - use a quality chocolate to dip the cake pops in and make sure to melt the chocolate at 50% power to keep it from overheat or seizing.
- Paper Straws - cut each paper straw in half. You can also use 4 or 6 inch Wilton lollipop or cookie sticks
- Sprinkles - colored jimmies are the best because they will not streak when they get in melted chocolate
How to make Mickey Mouse Cake Pops
This easy cake pop recipe is a fun treat to serve or give as party favors at Mickey Mouse or Disney themed parties. Homemade cake pops are easy to make, but they do take some time for each step.
Step One: Bake a Cake
- Mix together all the ingredients and pour into pan.
- Bake and cool to room temperature.
Step Two: Form Cake Balls
- Crumble cooled cake into a large bowl until no large pieces remain.
- Add chocolate frosting and mix together.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to make 24 even scoops out of the cake mixture.
- Roll the cake balls and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
BRUCREW TIP: Use a large fork or your hands to crumble the cake into crumbs.
Step Three: Decorating Mickey Cake Pops
- Melt chocolate wafers in microwave safe bowl.
- Dip straws in chocolate and press into chilled cake balls. Refrigerate until set.
- Dip the cake balls one at a time into the melted chocolate, tapping the excess chocolate off.
- Place in a bowl of sprinkles and roll around carefully coating the bottom of the cake pop.
- Place on a tray and add two more melting wafers for ears before the chocolate sets up.
BRUCREW TIP: Only remove a few cake balls from the fridge at a time as you are dipping them. This keeps the other cake balls cool while you are working.
This chocolate cake pop recipe is easy to customize for different seasons or parties just by changing the flavor of the cake or color of the sprinkles.
- Use a vanilla cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, and vanilla frosting to make vanilla cake pops.
- Dip the cake balls in melted vanilla wafers.
- Use different colored sprinkles to change up the cake pops for other seasons and parties. Pink and red for Valentine's Day, red white and blue for the 4th of July, black and orange for Halloween, and red and green for Christmas. You could also do pink or blue if you were making these for a Disney themed baby shower.
- Turn these into Minnie Mouse Cake Pops by adding a pink or red candy bow.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you store cake pops?
- Counter - Keep the cake pops in a tightly sealed container for 2-3 days.
- Refrigerator - The cake pops will stay fresh if kept in a container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- Freezer - Cake pops can be frozen for 1 month. Wrap each one individually and place in a freezer safe container with room around each one. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Just know that the chocolate and sprinkles may get streaks or lighten after freezing and thawing.
Can you make cake pops ahead of time?
You sure can. Decorate cake pops are a great treat to make ahead of time because they keep for a while.
Do you have to refrigerate cake balls before dipping?
Cake balls need to be very cold when you dip them in the melted chocolate.
How many cake pops can you make from one cake mix?
- Small - 1 tablespoon will make 48 pops.
- Medium - 2 tablespoons will make 24 pops.
- Large - 3 tablespoons will make 16 pops.
- Extra Large - 4 tablespoons will make 12 pops.
BRUCREW TIP: For the large and extra large cake pops, you will need to make larger candy circles for the ears because the melting wafers will be too small.
Other Copycat Disney Recipes
- Jack Jack Num Num Cookies
- Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie Treats
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Marshmallow Pops
- Buffalo Wing Chips
- Dole Popsicles
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.