A layer of candy bars and chocolate make these Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats the best no bake treats you will ever have. These will not last long when you bring them to picnics or barbecues.
*Make sure you sign up for the BruCrew email and enjoy these recipes each morning in your inbox.*
Most days I have crazy baking ideas that I can’t wait to get in the kitchen and work on.
Then there are days when I just want to make quick and easy desserts like rice krispie treats for our kids to enjoy.
The problem is I am me. I can’t stop my crazy mind from wandering when it comes to easy desserts. Well, I can’t keep it from wandering on any kind of dessert really.
I really did have plans this time to make a pan of the best rice krispie treats. But as I pulled out the cereal from the bottom cupboard, I glanced over to the other side where I keep the “off-limits” food.
The bright orange packages of peanut butter cups started yelling at me. “Pick us!” “We would be great to use!” “You know how good we are!”
Yes, I do hear candy voices! That’s not weird, is it? How in the world was I supposed to resist candy that was basically forcing itself on me? I just couldn’t.
I started to think back to these Candy Bar Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats. I remembered how good the layer of candy bars was inside the no bake treats. That did it!
All thoughts of original Rice Krispies treats went out the window. The peanut butter cups won me over with their sweet yells. So, my pan of easy treats became rice krispie treats with peanut butter and marshmallow. That doesn’t surprise you, does it?
Tips for making Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats:
1. Butter your pan before you get started and keep the butter out. I like to butter my hands because it keeps the mixture from sticking to me. You could also use wax paper or parchment paper, if you don’t want to get messy.
2. Unwrap all the Reese’s peanut butter cups and set them aside. Buy a few extra because you know you are going to pop one or two in your mouth as you do this step.
3. Stir a little bit of peanut butter into the melted butter and marshmallow to give these bars the full peanut butter experience. You do have to work quickly as you put these together. Do not let the mixture sit long at all, or it will start to cool and be harder to work with.
4. Divide your hot rice krispie treat mixture in half. Press one half into the buttered baking dish. Lay the unwrapped Reese’s peanut butter cups over the top.
5. As soon as the candy bars are down, press the rest of the mixture over the top. Make sure you get it as even as possible. But don’t stress too much about it because we are adding a layer of chocolate over the top too. That will hide the imperfections.
6. Do not to press the rice krispie treats too much. Pressing the mixture too hard into the pan is what causes hard rice krispie treats. I don’t know about you, but I prefer soft, chewy rice krispie treats.
7. Add a layer of chocolate to the top of the Rice Krispie treats. Combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat to melt it or place it in a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 30 seconds. Stir until it is spreadable. If you need to heat it another 10-15 seconds, go ahead. Just do not over heat the chocolate.
8. Spoon the melted chocolate over the top of the rice krispie treats and use an angled spatula to spread it out. Go ahead and lick the spoon and spatula. It’s a required step in my kitchen! #foodbloggerperks
9. Let the chocolate set before cutting into bars. That is if you can wait that long. I suggest earplugs while you wait to block out the yells from the peanut butter cups. Seriously! It’s a real thing!
More easy no bake recipes you may enjoy:
- A chocolate and candy layer make these Monster Cookie No Bake Bars a fun treat that everyone will grab.
- Make this Sweet and Salty Trail Mix to munch on for long drives or movie nights.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars are a great snack for on the go breakfasts or after school snacks.
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 7 cups plain Rice Krispies cereal
- 24 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Butter or spray a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Pour the cereal into the marshmallow mixture and stir until completely combined. Press half the cereal mixture into the prepared pan quickly.
- Place the 24 peanut butter cups over the top of the rice krispies in the pan.
- Spoon the rest of the Rice Krispies mixture over the top and press down. Let cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a saucepan and heat over low to medium heat until melted. Stir until creamy.
- Spread over the top of the Rice Krispie treats. Let set. Cut into 24 squares. Store in a sealed container on the counter.
*To make these easier, make 1/2 a batch of the Rice Krispie mixture and press it in the pan first. After adding the peanut butter cups, make the second 1/2 of the Rice Krispie mixture and press it on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 8g
(photo from July 2014)
*This post and recipe was originally posted July 23, 2014.
**This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on these links or purchasing recommended items, I may receive a small compensation. I will only recommend products I use and love. Thank you for supporting Inside BruCrew Life.