What could be better than a simple pumpkin bread recipe? How about one that is full of chocolate chips. You will be the hero of the house when you serve up slices of this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread!
Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. I look forward to wearing jeans and sweatshirts, drinking a pumpkin latte, going to bonfires and corn mazes, feeling the chilly air at night, and of course eating anything and everything pumpkin.
This chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe and these chocolate chip pumpkin cookies are two of my favorite things to bake once pumpkin spice season gets here.
Over the years I have changed up the pumpkin bread with different ingredients, but I always come back to this chocolate chip version.
⭐ Why You Should Make This Bread
Spices and mini chocolate chips make this moist pumpkin bread taste incredible. Here is why you are going to love this sweet quick bread too.
- It's easy to make.
- Moist & delicious.
- Full of pumpkin flavor.
- Loaded with chocolate.
- Makes the kitchen smell so good as it bakes.
📋 Key Ingredient Notes
This moist pumpkin bread recipe uses simple pantry ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Make sure to stock up on canned pumpkin, so you can make this pumpkin bread all year long.
- Sugar - A mixture of granulated and brown sugar sweetens the bread.
- Oil - Adds a richness, tenderness, and moisture to quick breads.
- Pumpkin Puree - Canned pumpkin is the easiest because it is available year round. If you make homemade pumpkin puree, make sure to drain and blot it before using.
- Baking Soda - Provides the lift as the bread bakes.
- Spices - A mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg gives this bread a delicious fall flavor.
- Milk - Adds moisture to the batter.
Pumpkin Puree vs. Pumpkin Pie Mix
Pumpkin puree is made with 100% pure pumpkin. Pumpkin pie mix has sugar and spices added to it. Make sure you check your recipe, so you buy the correct one.
⏲️ How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
A loaf of this easy pumpkin chocolate chip bread is easy to make and only uses one bowl. Everything gets mixed together and then poured into a loaf pan. The hardest part is waiting for it to bake and cool before you can eat it.
Step One: Make the Pumpkin Batter
- Add the sugars, oil, and eggs to a large bowl.
- Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix again.
- Stir together the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda. Slowly mix it into the batter with the milk.
- Gently stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Step Two: Bake the Pumpkin Bread
- Spoon the pumpkin batter into a greased and floured bread pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until done when a toothpick or skewer is inserted in the center of the loaf comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Flip out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Step Three: Add a Chocolate Topping
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy. Heat 15-30 seconds longer if needed.
- Melt the white chips and shortening the same way. Spoon into a plastic baggie and cut one tip off.
- Spoon the melted chocolate on top of the bread. Go ahead and get it to the edge, but try to keep from pushing it over.
- Drizzle the white chocolate back and forth over the top from side to side.
- Immediately use a toothpick to drag it through the chocolate end to end. Work quickly because the chocolate will start to set up.
📖 Storage Recommendations
Once the bread has cooled completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and place on the counter for 4-5 days. If you want to keep it longer, place it in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This easy pumpkin bread freezes very well. Wrap the cooled bread in 2 layers of plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe bag or container.
Freeze for 2-3 months. To thaw the bread, unwrap it so the condensation does not make the pumpkin bread soggy. Add the chocolate right before serving.
👩🏻🍳 Tips and Tricks
- Do not over mix the pumpkin bread batter. Stir or beat just until the ingredients are mixed in. Over mixing can create a dense chewy bread.
- Switch up the chocolate chips in your bread. I like using mini chocolate chips because they are smaller and do not sink as much. You can also use regular chocolate chips, semi sweet chips, white chips, or dark chips.
- Make sure to grease and flour your bread pan. This will allow the bread to drop out easily after it finishes baking.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. This gives the bread time to finish baking and to set up before removing it from the pan.
- Feel free to skip the extra chocolate topping, if you prefer. The bread is delicious with or without it.
- Serve slices of this delicious fall bread with a steaming chocolate latte.
💭 Recipe FAQ's
Chocolate chips are always a good choice for pumpkin bread. But if you do not like chocolate (the horrors), try adding 1 ½ cups of your favorite chopped nuts. You can also add seeds, raisins, pepitas, dried cranberries, or shredded coconut.
Double check your ingredients to make sure you did not miss something. The other factor that affects bread is measuring flour incorrectly. If you do not have enough flour to compensate for the moisture it can result in gummy bread. Check out our tutorial on How to Measure Flour.
The best way to test pumpkin bread is to insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the bread. If it comes out with batter still on it, the bread needs to bake longer. If it comes out with moist crumbs, the bread is done.
You can use any combination of fall spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or all spice. If you do not want to use a mixture, you can always use 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.
📋 More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
- Pumpkin Cobbler
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies
- Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Best Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The recipe and post for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread was first published September 2013. The pictures and post were updated August 2021.