These Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes have a creamy no bake cheesecake center and and are topped with homemade strawberry frosting. These easy cupcakes are bursting with flavor and are the perfect dessert for every spring celebration.
I have decided to give up sugar for a week or two. This is very hard for my sweet tooth to handle. So far it has been good, but it has only been one day. Thank goodness for this Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake! I may eat one every day.
I want to see if it makes a difference in my weight. Sadly, that means I can't bake for that time either because I always find myself taste testing when I am baking. That kinda breaks the no sugar rule. It's all lean and green recipes this week!!!
Now I know some of you are cheering because you think that means no sugary pictures to tempt you and make you drool. Well, that's just not true because I have plenty of ones that I haven't even shared yet.
So, even though I might not be eating things like these Take 5 Bars this week, I am still going to share with you.
Let's get started with some strawberry cupcakes with cheesecake filling. I mean cupcakes that have fresh fruit and dairy in them can't be a bad thing, right?
Ok, ok. I'll just share how to make them and you go enjoy them for me until I come to my senses and start enjoying sugar again.
For the Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cake Mix - This particular recipe uses a box cake mix. Doctored up cake mixes are my specialty. If you like to bake from scratch, that works too.
- Instant Strawberry Pudding Mix - Adding a pudding mix to a cake mix gives it more structure and makes it bake more moist.
- Oil - This helps the cake to bake moist, fluffy, and tender. You can use melted butter, but butter has water added to it. So, while it may taste better, the texture isn't the same.
- Eggs - They provide structure in recipes. Make sure you buy the size of the eggs called for in a recipe because of the amount of liquid they provide.
- Milk - Using milk instead of water makes a cake mix taste more like a homemade cake. Using buttermilk will also add a rich flavor.
For the Homemade Strawberry Frosting
- Shortening & Butter - Using a combo of these 2 ingredients gives the buttercream a better structure for piping.
- Salt - Balances out the sweetness.
- Vanilla & Strawberry Extract - Mixing these two extracts adds a great flavor to the box mix.
- Strawberries - For the best flavor, choose sweet, ripe strawberries. Puree the berries in a blender or food processor. If the berries are not juicy, add a little bit of water.
- Powdered Sugar - Thickens the strawberry buttercream and adds sweetness. Use more if you want a thicker frosting, although this will affect the strawberry flavor.
How to make Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Mix together the strawberry cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, and milk. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes completely then remove the center of the cupcakes using a cupcake corer or a small knife.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk. Beat the cream cheese until creamy, then add the pudding mixture and beat again.
- Fold in the Cool Whip gently. Fill the centers of the cupcakes with the no bake cheesecake mixture.
- Puree the fresh strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Mix together the frosting ingredients until nice and creamy.
- Swirl the frosting on top of the cupcakes and refrigerate until you are ready to serve them.
- Top with a fresh strawberry and graham cracker sticks right before serving, if desired.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
What can I use if I can't find a strawberry pudding mix?
Feel free to use an instant vanilla or white chocolate pudding mix. You can also add 1-2 spoonfuls of strawberry jello to the batter to amp up the strawberry flavor.
Can I use melted butter instead of oil in a cake mix?
Yes. Melted butter is a fine substitution for oil. Although, cakes and cupcakes baked with oil tend to bake up with a better crumb texture and stay moist for longer.
More strawberry recipes
It only takes a few minutes to make and then to enjoy fresh Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling. It is perfect for pies, cakes, breakfast pastries, or spreading on toast.
Layers of fruit, yogurt, and granola make these Healthy Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits an easy and fresh breakfast choice. Start the day out right by grabbing a jar as you walk out the door.
Layers of cake cubes, no bake cheesecake, and fresh fruit makes this Strawberry Key Lime Cheesecake Trifle an easy dessert to make for spring or summer dinners.
This dreamy Strawberry Cream Pie is the perfect way to showcase these luscious berries.
Homemade Strawberry Waffles are just the thing to make your weekend awesome. Everyone loves a day that starts with waffles, right?
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
(original photo from April 2011)
*The post for Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes was first published April 26, 2011. The pictures & recipe were updated March 2017. The post was republished January 30, 2021.
I only have sugar free instant pudding. Can I still use that?
Do you mean for in the cake or for in the filling? I have never baked a cake using a sugar free pudding mix, so I'm not quite sure. But I think it would be fine... The filling should be ok with a sugar free mix.
Thank you. I ended up buying the regular pudding mix. Couldn’t find strawberry anywhere so used vanilla. Cupcakes were delicious.
Favorite cupcake of all time!!! Either the original or the updates are perfect for any gathering, or.... for me to eat all by myself!!!! mmmmmmyum
I love the look of these! They are so cute and delicious. Perfect for spring or summer.
Oh my goodness these are delicious! Love the filling!
Oh man, these look absolutely amazing!! Saving and Pinning for later!
Love everything about these cupcakes! The frosting is just heavenly!
I have made these several times and everyone loves them! When I make the frosting it’s way too runny and won’t even stay on the cupcakes, I have tried making it thicker with more sugar but it resulted in it being way too sweet, any suggestions on how to fix that?
The frosting is softer because of the fresh berries, but it should still be thick enough to pipe onto the cupcakes without being runny. If your berries are extra ripe and juicy, you will not need the extra water when you puree them. Also have you tried refrigerating the frosting before putting it on the cupcakes? Because of the pudding cheesecake center, these do need to be refrigerated at all times. As for adding extra sugar, that will work to thicken it but I would add at least another 1/4 teaspoon salt to balance out the sweetness. I hope that helps!!!!
Do these cupcakes need to be in the fridge or can I leave them out?
Because of the pudding/cheesecake filling in the center, these cupcakes do need to be refrigerated. I hope you enjoy them!!!
One word: DELICIOUS! Simply irresistible! I can tell by the photos that these cupcakes are melt-in-my mouth perfection:)
Can I replace strawberry pudding mix with strawberry jello mix?
And What if I cant find strawberry cake mix, what would be the best alternative?
Using a Jello mix will change the texture of the cupcakes. They will be denser and not fluffy. I really do recommend the pudding mix for this. If you can't find the strawberry pudding mix, just use vanilla. And both Pillsbury and Betty Crocker sell a strawberry cake mix, so you should be able to find one easily.
Do you have to use the strawberry extract
No, you do not have to use it. Feel free to just use all vanilla if that is all you have. I just like the little bit of extra strawberry flavor the extract gave it.
It looks so yummy! I’ve pinned the recipe! Thank for your post!
do these need to be refrigerated?
Yes, they need to be refrigerated because of the dairy in the centers. I hope you enjoy the cupcakes!
I just made these for a friend's baby shower. This icing in one of the best icings I've ever tasted! The fresh strawberries add that fresh and "real" taste! Thank you for sharing. It definitely goes into my recipe box!
Thank you so much for letting me know how much you liked this frosting! Your comment made my night 🙂
I want to make these for my daughter's birthday. They look fabulous! Under filling ingredients, you have 4 oz. of cream cheese listed twice. I'm assuming that's a mistake? Thanks for the wonderful looking recipe!
Whoops! Sorry about that...I'm fixing it right now. I hope you and your daughter enjoy the cupcakes!
I can't find strawberry pudding. Do you mean strawberry jello?
No, I really mean strawberry pudding. I always buy it at Walmart. If you can't find it, you can just use vanilla pudding in it's place.
Thanks. I'll try some other stores.
These are thee perfect spring treat! And that cream cheese filling? Swoon.
I was thinking of making a cake instead of cupcakes and I wanted to use the cheesecake filling between the layers. Do you think the filling will hold up to the cake or will it be too soft?
I think the filling for these cupcakes would be soft to support the cake layers. Here is another cake with filling that I think you might like.https://insidebrucrewlife.com/strawberry-mousse-cake/
Looks absolutely delicious! Thank you!!! ?
Those look amazing! Always looking for new recipes....I get bored easily when baking - LOL.
Wow! So so happy I finally got around to making these (they've been on my to do list for a while). I love how you combine using a box mix with fresh ingredients. This frosting is to die for!! One of my favorites for sure =]