This Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is the perfect ending to any summer party. Not only is it easy to put together, but it is stunning to look at. The layers of strawberry cake, no bake key lime cheesecake, and fresh berries will have your guests coming back for more.
Trifles are one of my favorite desserts to make because they look amazing! Years ago I made this pina colada trifle, and it is still one of my favorite things to make for parties.
There are endless possibilities when you are putting together a cake trifle. Have fun and mix and match different cake and fruit combos.
Why This Recipe Works
A strawberry cheesecake trifle is the perfect dessert for any event. It is easy to make, looks beautiful, and tastes delicious. The combination of tart key lime filling and sweet, juicy berries give it an amazing flavor.
Make sure to layer the strawberry cake, no bake cheesecake, and fresh strawberries in a large clear bowl, so everyone can see how pretty it is. Keep it easy by making a box cake mix ahead of time.
You will be the star of the party or potluck when you show up with this layered dessert. Everyone will be so impressed, but that won't stop them from digging into the cheesecake trifle.
You will only need a few simple ingredients to make this strawberry trifle recipe.
- Strawberry Cake Mix - We used a box mix to save time, but you can make your own cake from scratch if you like.
- Cream Cheese - Two boxes of full fat cream cheese is needed. Make sure to set them out ahead of time.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens the creamy cheesecake filling.
- Key Lime Juice - Adds a fresh burst of citrus flavor to the filling. You can also use lemon juice if you have that on hand instead.
- Cool Whip - Gives the no bake cheesecake a fluffy texture. If you prefer, 3 cups of homemade whipped topping works too.
- Fresh Fruit - We love using strawberries, but any fruit will work in this trifle.
How to Make
Making a strawberry trifle is quite easy to do, but you need to plan ahead so everything is ready to go. It does come together in minutes, so it is the perfect dessert for holiday parties.
- Make the strawberry cake. Mix together the box mix and the listed ingredients on the back of the box. Spread the batter in a greased 9x13 pan and bake until done. Cool completely, then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Prepare the cheesecake filling. Beat the softened cream cheese, sugar, and key lime juice until creamy. Fold in the Cool Whip gently.
- Assemble the trifle. Place half the cake cubes in the bottom of a clear glass bowl. Top with strawberry slices and half the cream cheese mixture. Repeat the layers again. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This strawberry trifle is best if served within 24 hours of making it. The fruit will start to get juicy and soften the cake layers the longer it sits.
Cover the trifle and keep it in the refrigerator until it is time to serve it.
Tips and Tricks
- Buy a pre-made angel food cake or pound cake if you do not have time to bake a cake.
- Make sure to set the cream cheese out ahead of time, so it is easier to beat into a creamy filling.
- Add a strawberry glaze over the strawberries if you want them to be sweeter and juicier. You can usually find this in the produce section of your grocery store.
- Strawberry chia jam or homemade strawberry pie filling can be used if fresh strawberries are not available.
- Use a large clear trifle bowl to layer everything in. It needs to hold at least 3 quarts. A punch bowl is another great option.
What is a trifle?
A trifle is cold dessert that is usually made up of layers of cake, a creamy filling, and fresh fruit.
Can a trifle be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the trifle one day ahead of time and it will still be delicious. You could also bake the cake a few days ahead of time and keep it tightly wrapped until it is time to assemble the cake trifle.
Can you freeze a trifle?
No I do not recommend freezing this dessert. It just will not be the same after it thaws out.
More Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
This post for Strawberry Key Lime Cheesecake Trifle was first published March 2017. The post was updated and republished June 2022.