These Chocolate Cheesecake Bars are easy to make and the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers. The Oreo cookie crust gives it a delicious crunch. And the best part? There's no need for a springform pan!
Over the years, I have fallen in love with making cheesecake. It is such a delicious and fancy dessert to make and share. Although, most weeks I do not have time to create and make a full sized cheesecake. That's when cheesecake bars are my best friend.
They are so easy to make and the flavor options are endless. You could have a traditional graham cracker crust like these apple cheesecake bars or you could have a brownie crust like these cherry cheesecake brownies.
Recently I was craving chocolate, so I changed the measurements on these mini triple chocolate cheesecakes and turned them into chocolate cheesecake bars.
Why You Will Love These
This chocolate cheesecake recipe is so simple that even beginning bakers will feel confident making it for their next dinner party or get together.
- Perfect dessert for chocolate lovers!
- Have a shorter bake time than a full size cheesecake
- Look fancy but they are so easy to make.
- No special pans or tools needed!
- Great dessert to serve for events or crowds.
Get ready to wow your friends and family with a pan of creamy chocolate cheesecake for dessert. No one has to know how easy they are to make.
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies - Combining crushed Oreos (or any sandwich cookie) with melted butter makes a great crust for any cheesecake.
- Cream Cheese - I use full fat cream cheese for the best taste. Make sure to set it out ahead of time, so it softens to room temperature.
- Granulated Sugar - Adds some sweetness to the cheesecake bars and helps smooth out the softened cream cheese.
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together and adds flavor and richness.
- Sour Cream - Adds some additional creaminess and tang to the cheesecake.
- Chocolate - Gives these bars a sweet chocolate flavor. You can use melted chocolate chips or bakers chocolate.
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
Follow our basic steps and see how easy it is to make this chocolate cheesecake bars recipe in minutes. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the cheesecake to chill, so you can dig in.
- Make the cheesecake base. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix again.
- Add the dark chocolate. Place the chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl with shortening. Heat at 50% for 45 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted and smooth. Add to the cheesecake batter and mix in.
- Whisk the eggs. Use a fork to break apart the eggs then add to the batter and mix in gently
- Bake and chill. Pour the creamy chocolate cheesecake filling onto an Oreo cookie crust and bake. Once done place on a wire rack and let cool for an hour at room temperature. Then place in the refrigerator and chill for a few hours until completely cooled.
In the Refrigerator - Place the cooled cheesecake bars in a covered air tight container and keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
In the Freezer - Wrap the entire block of cheesecake or individual squares in two layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature, so they will blend together easier.
- Using a food processor is the easiest way to crush the cookies into fine crumbs. You can also use a rolling pin and a plastic bag, but that will take longer.
- Line your pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, so you can remove the cheesecake easier for cutting after it bakes.
- Press the cookie crumbs firmly in the bottom of the 9x13 baking pan to keep the crust from crumbling apart when you slice it.
- Mix the cream cheese and sugar very well before adding the other ingredients.
- Do not over blend the eggs. Whisk them gently before adding them to the mixture to avoid adding extra air to the batter.
- Don't over bake. The cheesecake should be wiggly like Jello in the middle. It will continue to cook as it cools.
- When ready, cut the chocolate cheesecake into squares with a hot knife. Run it under hot water and dry it off each time for the cleanest cuts.
- Serve plain or top with a chocolate ganache, whipped cream, and cherry pie filling.
The cheesecake bars should have a slight jiggle to the center of the cheesecake similar to Jello. If the cheesecake center does not wiggle, it is overdone.
Over beating the batter is the most common reason a cheesecake will crack. Beating too much adds air into the batter causes cracks to happen as a cheesecake bakes.
Another reason a cheesecake cracks is because it might have been over baked. It should have a wiggle to it when you pull it out of the oven.
These chocolate cheesecake squares are a great dessert to make ahead of time. They need time to chill and set up in the refrigerator before you eat them.
More Cheesecake Bars
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for triple chocolate cheesecake bars was first published October 2013. It was updated and republished January 2023.
**We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com .