Looking for over the top cheesecake cookie bars? Try adding chocolate chip cookie dough and Oreos to a creamy cheesecake filling and see what happens. These Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are an easy cheesecake recipe that everyone goes crazy for.
Cheesecake Cookie Bars
Cheesecake cookie bars are one of my favorite desserts to make. They are easy to make in a hurry, and they combine two of the best desserts in one amazing treat.
A creamy cheesecake filling baked between two layers of homemade chocolate chip cookie dough makes these dessert bars hard to resist. I changed the recipe for these chocolate chip cheesecake bars by adding chunks of Oreo cookies to the dough.
Best idea ever!!! The Oreo cookie pieces give the cheesecake bars a delicious cookies and cream flavor. We fell in love with them right away.
If you need an easy dessert that will wow all your friends and family, make these Oreo chocolate chip cheesecake bars.
- Simple to make.
- Taste rich and delicious.
- Everyone will want the recipe!
Ingredients for Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
The layers in these chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars are made with simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. The homemade cookie dough with creamy cheesecake baked in the center is sure to become your new favorite dessert.
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Butter - Make sure the butter is room temperature before you start. I prefer to use unsalted butter, so I can control the amount of salt in my recipes. If you have salted, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugars - A mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar sweetens the cookie dough and makes it soft and chewy.
- Eggs - Adds liquid to the dough.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds flavor.
- Baking Soda - Gives the cookie dough a little bit of lift and browning as it bakes. Make sure you check the expiration date.
- Salt - Balances out the sweetness from the sugar.
- Flour - All purpose flour works the best. Make sure you are measuring the flour properly using the spoon and sweep method.
- Chocolate Chips - I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use whatever you like or have on hand. Milk chocolate, white chips, or dark chocolate chips are all great options.
- Oreo Cookies - Chop the cookies into large pieces to use in the dough and on top.
For the Cheesecake Filling
- Cream Cheese - I use full fat in most of my cheesecake recipes. Set it out ahead of time, so it is easier to mix.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar sweetens the filling.
- Eggs - Binds the cheesecake together.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds flavor.
- Flour - Just a little bit of flour adds structure to the filling.
How to make Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
These cookie cheesecake bars come together in three easy steps. Make the Oreo cookie dough, make the cheesecake filling, and then layer it all in one pan and bake. The flavor and texture of the cookies with the creamy cheesecake and Oreo cookies make the bars taste incredible.
Step One: Make the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Beat the softened butter and sugars in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture and slowly mix until a soft dough forms.
- Stir chocolate chips and Oreo cookie pieces in gently with a spoon.
Step Two: Make the Vanilla Cheesecake Filling
- Beat softened cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until creamy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and flour and beat the mixture again until smooth.
Step Three: Assemble the Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Press half of the chocolate chip cookie dough into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Pour the filling on top and spread the cheesecake layer out evenly with a spatula.
- Drop small pieces of the remaining cookie dough on top of the cheesecake.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with more Oreo cookie chunks.
- Bake the cheesecake bars until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting and devouring.
These chocolate chip cheesecake bars will be an instant hit at your house. Trust me, you will be looking for any reason to make another pan of goodness.
Tips and Tricks
Line the baking pan with foil or parchment paper if you want to lift the cheesecake bars out easily.
Customize the cookie dough with nuts, sprinkles, candy, or different cookies.
To make slutty cheesecake bars, add a layer of whole Oreos on top of the first layer of cookie dough. Then spread the cheesecake and remaining cookie dough on top.
Chill the cheesecake bars completely before cutting them into bars. These bars taste better after being refrigerated for a few hours.
Store the chocolate chip cheesecake bars in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you soften cream cheese?
- Counter - Set the blocks of cream cheese on the kitchen counter one hour before starting to make your recipe.
- Microwave - Unwrap one block of cream cheese. Place it on a microwave safe plate and heat for 20 seconds.
Can cheesecake cookie bars be made ahead of time?
Yes. This is a great recipe to make ahead of time because they need time to chill completely before you serve them.
Can I use store bought cookie dough?
You can use your favorite store bought dough instead of making the homemade if you want to save a few minutes. You will need 2 (18 ounces each) rolls of refrigerated cookie dough for this recipe.
Can cheesecake bars be frozen?
Yes these cheesecake bars freeze very well. Make sure the bars are completely chilled before cutting into squares.
Place the squares on a parchment lined tray without letting them touch. Freeze for an hour, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
More Cheesecake Bars
- Rainbow Cheesecake
- Reese's Dessert
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars
- Key Lime Cheesecake Bars
- Mint Cheesecake Brownies
- Unicorn Cheesecake
- Swirled Cheesecake Bars
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars was first published May 23, 2013. The photos and post were updated and republished August 4, 2021.
Don't have Oreos but have Caramel Cream Cookies. Think this would work as a substitution?
I think those would be equally delicious in these cheesecake bars. Keep me posted how they turn out if you make them!
Can I divide the ingredients in half so that I can bake it in an 8 or 9" springform pan? Your thoughts?
I think that should work just fine for this recipe. The bake time should be the same too, but I would keep an eye on it because it may be done around 30 minutes. Keep me posted on how it turns out.
These look so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. The whole family is going to love these.
Made these and they are delicious!
Hi, I am a beginning baker and I wanted to make something special for my sister'a birthday, and I think I just found it! This looks absolutely AMAZING! The only question I have after looking at the recipe is that do you simply take out the pan after cooked, let it cool, then put the tray into the fridge? This looks delicious and I can't wait to see my sister'a face when she bites into this!
Yay for fun baking. Your sister is going to love these. After they finish baking, let them cool on a baking rack for a few hours. Then refrigerate for at least 4 hours to let them set all the way. Then you can cut them into bars and decorate the tops. Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂
I haven't made these yet but plan to this weekend. My plan is to line the pan with parchment paper so they will be easy to take out. Any reason this idea won't work? Just wondering.
That should work just fine. I like lining my pans with parchment or foil for the same reason. So much easier to lift everything out and then make nice clean cuts for serving. I hope you enjoy the cookie bars.
I have been looking at this recipe for says and finally made it today! They are amazing!
It's Emma Elise
Love this! I included it in my latest "Massive List of Links" post (http://itsemmaelise.com/post/78652228099/massive-list-of-links-part-10). Thanks again for sharing!
Food Service Warehouse
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie
That is intensely awesome
Than you!! 😉
Hope you had a great anniversary! 15 years is a big one! These look so awesome!
Thank you!! It really was a wonderful anniversary! But any day with my hubby is the best!! 😉
Trish - Mom On Timeout
These look FABULOUS Jocelyn! Cheesecake in any form is always a winner with me 🙂
Thank you!! I think so too 😉
Renee @ Awesome on $20
I wish I was going to a party so I had an excuse to make these. They look divine. My husband will love them. Happy anniversary!!!
You don't need to go to a party to make these!! 😉 Just make them for yourselves!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel
You and Oreos and cheesecake, girl... a trio made in heaven, I think! These look divine -- I could NOT stop at just one!
Haha, thanks!! 😉
I just tried this recipe. My cookie dough was pretty wet and sticky. It was kind of hard to press it into the pan. And the crumbling didn't work for me. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? Thanks for any tips!
How soft was your butter? Was it room temperature? If it was too soft or melted, the dough probably would be too sticky. You could always refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Mine was slightly sticky but not so bad that I couldn't press it in the pan. That should help with putting the dough on top too. It won't crumble like a hard cookie does, but you can drop small chunks all over the top gently. Let me know how it turns out.
Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Photography
Holy crap, how do you keep coming up with so many amazing combinations of treats?!? LOVE the sound of this!!
Thanks!! I'm always cruising the sweets aisles in the grocery store and items just jump out at me begging to be used! hehe 😉
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen
Congrats on 15 years! Life is such a crazy roller coaster- it is so fun to look back and see what got you to where you are today. As far as these cookie bars go? Fabulous!? And the oreo crumbs on top are so necessary 🙂 LOVE! 🙂
Thank you Elizabeth!! It sure is fun to look back, especially to have a good laugh! 😉
Gloria @ Simply Gloria
I saw your pic on Instagram...you two still look so young! So excited for you two!
Pinning this scrumptious bars!
Thank you Gloria!! I guess we do still look young, but our wedding pic, whew!! 😉 Thank you for pinning!!
HAPPY ANNI!!! Those look perfect and sooooooo over the top!
Thank you Carrian!!
Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection
Happy anniversary!! What a perfect treat to celebrate such a great occasion. 🙂
Thank you Elaine!!
Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff
These bars should be illegal ... period 😉
Thank you Brenda!! 🙂