Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies are one of our favorite fall desserts because they are so rich and delicious. The gooey brownie crust and swirls give them a great chocolate taste. They are perfect for any occasion - from Thanksgiving dinner to an afternoon snack with your friends.
Are you looking for a new dessert recipe to try this fall? These pumpkin cheesecake brownies are the perfect combination of two classic desserts. They are creamy, gooey, and so delicious!
We have been making this pumpkin brownie recipe for years. Every fall I look forward to making a few pans to share with friends and family. I mean look at the color and the fudgy swirls! If you love pumpkin and chocolate, these are the brownies for you!
Why We Love these gooey Cheesecake Brownies
Gooey brownies and creamy pumpkin cheesecake baked on top of each other creates one amazing dessert. The result is an amazing combination of flavors that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
The best part about these brownies is that they are so easy to make. They start with a brownie mix and then get jazzed up with a delicious homemade pumpkin cheesecake!
This is the perfect treat for autumn parties, potlucks, family gatherings, Thanksgiving, and more. Everyone will love these decadent pumpkin cream cheese brownies, so be sure to bring them along when you visit family this holiday season. Trust me, your pan will come home empty every time.
Main Ingredients Needed
You can make a pan of these brownie pumpkin cheesecake bars in no time flat with simple ingredients from your local grocery store. I like to buy an extra brownie mix and can of pumpkin to keep on hand. Just in case I need to bring a dessert somewhere.
- Brownie Mix - I like using a 9x13 box mix to keep this recipe easy. You can also make a double batch of these chocolate chip brownies, if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese - I prefer to use full fat cream cheese in most of our cheesecake recipes.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cheesecake batter and lets the pumpkin flavor shine through.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you use a can of pure puree. Do NOT buy the pumpkin pie mix because that has added sugar and spices.
- Vanilla Extract & Spices - A blend of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves gives this dessert such a delicious fall flavor!
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together and give it a creamy rich texture.
How to make Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
This pumpkin cheesecake brownie recipe is just what you need to satisfy your sweet tooth! They are easy enough that even beginner bakers can make them without any problems.
- Mix together the box brownie mix according to the package directions. Reserve ⅔ cup of the batter for later.
- Spread the batter in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add the vanilla, pumpkin puree, flour, and spices and beat until mixed in.
- Add the eggs and mix just until mixed in. Do not over beat the cheesecake mixture.
- Spread on top of the brownie batter.
- Drop the reserved brownie batter by spoonfuls onto the pumpkin cheesecake layer. Use a butter knife to gently swirl it in.
How do you get such perfect swirls?
Use a butter knife or toothpick to swirl just the top two layers together. To keep it clean, do not let the knife tip go into the brownie base on the bottom.
Bake & Chill
- Bake the pumpkin cheesecake brownies for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Serve with swirls of this easy whipped cream recipe.
Why are my brownies so gooey?
These brownie pumpkin cheesecake bars are slightly gooey depending on what brand of brownie mix you use. I have tried a few different ones over the years, and some just bake gooier than others. To be honest, my favorite brand of box brownies are from Aldi.
If you want to avoid a gooey brownie base, bake the brownie layer for 15 minutes, then spread the pumpkin cheesecake batter on top. Swirl in the remaining brownie batter and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Set the cream cheese out ahead of time. It's much easier to mix the sugar into a block of room temperature cheese.
- Line the pan with foil or parchment, so you can remove the brownies easily after baking.
- Use the edge of a butter knife to swirl the brownie batter into the pumpkin cheesecake easily. DO NOT let the tip of the knife touch the bottom brownie layer.
- Be careful not to over swirl the top because then it won't look as pretty. It will still taste just as good though.
- For a bigger chocolate flavor, add ½ cup of miniature chocolate chips to the brownie batter and sprinkle a few on top before baking.
- Want to add a crunch to your dessert? Sprinkle the top with ½ cup chopped nuts before baking.
- Refrigerator - The swirled cheesecake brownies will keep for 5-6 days if kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator, so they do not dry out. This is a great dessert to make ahead of time.
- Freezer - Wrap the completely chilled cheesecake brownies in a layer of plastic wrap and foil. Place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake - layers of gooey pecan pie and pumpkin cheesecake join forces in this awesome fall pie.
- Pumpkin Pie Brownies - a fudgy brownie layer with a creamy pumpkin cheesecake baked in a pie crust.
- Oreo Pumpkin Cheesecake - mini pumpkin cheesecakes sandwiched between an Oreo cookie.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars - a pumpkin cheesecake in the middle of soft chocolate cookie layers and topped with frosting.
- Churro Cheesecake Danish - a cinnamon sugar coating and a sweet glaze gives this danish a pretty finish.
- Best Pumpkin Cheesecake - a gingersnap crust with the creamiest pumpkin cheesecake baked on top.
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
For the Brownies
- 1 - 9x13 dry box brownie mix
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup canola oil
For the Pumpkin Cheesecake
- 2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil or foil lined parchment paper and spray it with non-stick baking spray.
- Mix together the dry brownie mix, egg, water, and oil. Reserve ⅔ cup of the brownie batter. Spread the remaining brownie batter in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Beat the cream cheese until creamy. Add the sugar and beat again.
- Add the pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and flour and mix until creamy.
- Add the eggs and mix gently until completely mixed into the cheesecake batter.
- Spread the pumpkin cheesecake gently on top of the brownie batter in the pan.
- Drop the reserved brownie batter by small spoonfuls on top of the cheesecake. Use a butter knife to gently swirl the brownies and cheesecake. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on a wire rack for one hour, and then place in the refrigerator until chilled completely.
- Serve with Cool Whip, sprinkles, and pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
- These brownie swirled cheesecake bars are slightly gooey depending on what brand of brownie mix you use. I have tried a few different ones over the years, and some just bake gooier than others. To be honest, my favorite brand of box brownies are from Aldi.
- If you want to avoid a gooey brownie base, bake the brownie layer for 15 minutes, then spread the pumpkin cheesecake batter on top. Swirl in the remaining brownie batter and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Brownie Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars was first published October 2016. The post and photos were updated and republished November 2021.