Bell Pepper Nachos are a healthier alternative to traditional nachos. These crunchy pepper chips are filled with the bold flavors of buffalo chicken and make a great low carb appetizer to serve on game day.
We absolutely love serving crunchy nachos and buffalo chicken dip during game-day parties. However, these dishes are higher in carbohydrates.
In order to indulge more often, we have been experimenting with healthier versions to get our nacho fix. In recent months, we've prepared chicken caprese nachos and pizza nachos using roasted cauliflower, which was tasty.
I decided to try bell pepper chips instead of the usual ingredients this time. Using buffalo chicken was an excellent idea because it made a delicious and nutritious lean and green meal.
Why Make Bell Pepper Nachos
We all crave those satisfying snack moments, but how about satisfying those cravings without the guilt? This mini bell pepper nachos recipe is the perfect way to indulge in a healthier alternative to traditional nachos.
- Low-carb and gluten-free. The nachos become healthier when you replace the regular tortilla chips with bell peppers.
- Portion control. Mini bell peppers are cute and are the perfect size for your nachos. This built-in portion control makes it easier to enjoy this snack without overeating.
- Easy to make. Make these nachos in the oven or air fryer in under 30 minutes.
- Versatile. These nachos make a fantastic appetizer, a fun party snack, or a light dinner option. You can also customize them to suit your taste preferences or accommodate dietary restrictions.
These low-carb nachos with buffalo chicken are perfect for anyone following a keto diet or a lean and green meal plan. Plus, they are easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
- Chicken - Use canned chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken, or even leftover grilled chicken for quick and easy prep.
- Mini Bell Peppers - Look for peppers that are vibrant in color and firm to the touch. This ensures a perfect crunchy base for your nachos. You can also cut a larger red or green bell pepper into small pieces.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce - Be sure to use wing sauce vs. a typical hot sauce for a smoother, milder flavor.
- Ranch Dressing - This is our preference; however, you can use blue cheese.
- Red Onion - This adds a milder flavor to the mixture.
- Cheese - Because nachos have to have cheese! We like using the 2% sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever you want.
- Toppings - Enjoy the low carb nachos with avocados, green onions, and blue cheese.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Nachos
It doesn't take any special equipment to make buffalo chicken nachos with mini peppers. You can cook them in an oven or even in an air fryer.
- After washing, halve the mini peppers, then place them face up on a large foil-lined baking sheet.
- Mix the shredded chicken, diced onion, and buffalo wing sauce in a small bowl. Spoon the meat mixture evenly on top of the bell pepper slices.
- Top with the shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and drizzle with ranch dressing and buffalo sauce. Top with blue cheese, green onions, and avocados, then eat immediately.
Toppings for Mini Pepper Nachos
Don't hesitate to experiment with toppings beyond the classic chicken, buffalo sauce, and cheese combo. Add diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, or a dollop of Greek yogurt to the keto nachos for extra pizzazz.
- Blue Cheese Dressing and Crumbles
- Green Onions
- Avocado Chunks
- Black Olives
- Homemade Salsa
- Dollop of Sour Cream
Regular nachos become soggy and can't be stored, but buffalo chicken nachos can be refrigerated and reheated.
In the Refrigerator - Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To Reheat - These pepper nachos can be enjoyed either cold or reheated in a microwave or air fryer. For a crispier topping, use an air fryer instead of the microwave.
Tips and Tricks
- Prep ahead. Make life easier by prepping the ingredients ahead of time. Shred the chicken, mix it with buffalo sauce, then store it in the fridge. When it's snack time, assemble and bake!
- Try a different cheese. While cheddar or Monterey Jack are classic choices, experiment with other varieties. Pepper Jack adds an extra kick, and blue cheese crumbles bring a tangy richness. Mix and match to find your perfect cheesy blend.
- Shred the cheese. Use a grater to shred a block of cheese for the topping. Store-bought shredded cheese has a coating that prevents it from melting properly.
- Want a creamier filling? Add two tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese to the chicken mixture.
- Do not overbake. If you bake the peppers too long, they will become soft. Preheat the chicken mixture on the stove or microwave before filling the peppers. Then, heat them until the cheese is melted.
- Make it a meal. For a balanced meal, serve them with cilantro lime cauliflower rice or a simple green salad.
If you want to keep the peppers crunchy, avoid overcooking them. To prevent the peppers from getting too soft, preheat the filling before filling the peppers. Then, bake until the cheese has melted.
While shredded chicken is a classic choice, you can substitute it with ground chicken or ground beef. Make it vegetarian with black beans or tofu.
While these nachos are best enjoyed fresh from the oven, you can prepare the components in advance. Assemble and bake right before serving.
Other Easy Appetizers
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and then a review in the comments section below.
*This post was published in March 2019. It was updated and then republished in December 2023.