Love carrot cake? You are going to love these Carrot Cheesecake Muffins. The soft carrot cake muffins are stuffed with a cream cheese filling and make a delicious choice for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Carrot Cake Muffins with Cheesecake Filling:
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my all time favorite cakes, so it just made sense to make these carrot cake muffins with a cream cheese filling.
As I was working on the recipe for these carrot cheesecake muffins, I had to make a few batches to get it absolutely perfect.
After a few test runs on the carrot cake muffins, I doubled the cheesecake center because more cheesecake is never a bad idea. Am I right?
These sweet carrot cake muffins are soft and so delicious, and they will make you think you are eating carrot cake for breakfast. Oh, yeah!
For the Carrot Muffins:
- Oil, Eggs – adds the moisture needed for the batter
- Buttermilk – gives a softer texture to the muffin and provides a slight and delicious tang
- Sugars – granulated and brown sugar sweeten these muffins
- Flour, Salt – adds structure and balances the sweetness
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda – needed for lift
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Anise, Orange Extract – gives a spicy and delicious flavor
- Shredded Carrots – make sure you use freshly shredded carrots because they have more moisture.
- Chopped Pecans – optional, but delicious
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Cream Cheese – make sure to set it out ahead of time, so you can beat it easily
- Sugar, Orange Extract – sweetens and adds a little flavor.
- Flour – just a little bit helps the filling to be firm and not melt into the carrot muffin
How to make Carrot Cheesecake Muffins:
For the Muffins:
- Shred fresh carrots using a food processor or use a hand held grater.
- Mix the oil, sugars, extract, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir together the dry ingredients and slowly mix them into the wet mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and shredded carrots and stir until mixed in.
- Divide the batter evenly into 18 greased muffin cavities. You will need a 12 count pan and a 6 count pan.
BRUCREW TIP: Do NOT buy the all ready shredded carrots that are available in the stores. Those are only for salads!!! They do not provide enough moisture for baked goods.
For the Cheesecake:
- Mix together the cheesecake ingredients until creamy.
- Spoon it into two large plastic baggies. Cut one tip off a corner of each bag.
- Use one bag to squeeze cheesecake down into the CENTER of the muffin batter. Use the second bag to add another swirl of cheesecake batter on TOP of the muffins.
- Sprinkle the outside edges with diced pecans. This is totally optional, but it really makes the muffins look a little prettier and taste so good.
Do these carrot muffins with cheesecake need to be refrigerated?
If you are eating them within a day or two, you can keep them in a sealed container on the counter. Keep them in a container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Can you freeze carrot cake muffins?
Yes, you can. Place the cooled muffins on a sheet pan in the freezer for an hour. Place them into a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Other cheesecake muffins:
More breakfast muffin recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Grab N Go Pancake Muffins
- Chocolate Avocado Muffins
- Banana Coconut Muffins
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Apple Streusel Muffins
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Be sure to follow us on our social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
For the Muffins
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon anise powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
For the Cheesecake Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin pan and a 6 count muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the oil, sugars, and extract until combined. Add the eggs and mix again.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and shredded carrots and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar, orange extract, and flour. Spoon the mixture evenly into two large plastic baggies and cut one tip off each bag.
- Squeeze one bag of cheesecake evenly into the center of the muffin batter. Use the second bag of cheesecake to add a swirl of cheesecake to the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle the pecans around the outside of the muffin batter. Bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Remove and let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before gently removing them from the pan and placing on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Carrot Cheesecake Muffins was originally published on September 24, 2012. The photos and post have been updated and republished on April 3, 2021.