Add a loaf of this Cherry Banana Bread to your baking plans. This easy banana bread is loaded with chocolate and cherries and makes the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack.
A few months ago, I decided to let a few of the bananas sit a little longer on the counter. Spotty squishy bananas really do make the best banana bread!
I had an extra jar of cherries and chocolate chips that I wanted to throw into my favorite banana bread recipe.
The glaze on top is totally optional. The banana bread with cherries didn't need it, but really, why would you pass on a pretty pink glaze like that?
I never get tired of baking with bananas. Honestly, I think it is the most used ingredient in our kitchen. It's just so delicious in smoothies, cake, muffins, and scones.
Thank goodness my family loves banana treats as much as I do. They are always ready to taste test my newest creation and give me feedback. My daughter said that this banana bread with maraschino cherries would have been better without the cherries. She is a little crazy because she only wants chocolate in her banana bread.
I'm the complete opposite. Give me a loaf of classic banana bread loaded with all the fun flavors. This cinnamon toffee pecan banana bread is more my style!
How to make Cherry Banana Bread
- Drain your jar of maraschino cherries very well. Cut each cherry into quarters and pat them dry. Let them sit on paper towels until you need them.
- Cream your butter, sugar, and extract until creamy. I love almond extract with cherries, so that is what I used this time, but feel free to use vanilla if you prefer that more.
- Add the eggs, smashed bananas, and Greek yogurt and beat the mixture again. Feel free to substitute sour cream if you do not have any yogurt. Either one works and tastes delicious.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and slowly mix them into the banana mixture.
- Bake the loaf until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out with just a few sticky crumbs. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes, then flip the bread out onto a plate to cool completely.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the bread and let it set before you slice it. Or go ahead and eat it while the glaze is sticky and gooey. It's pretty delicious that way.
Stir a little bit of flour into your mix in's to keep them from from sinking to the bottom of the sweet bread as it bakes.
More Ways to Use Ripe Bananas
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
Do I have to use bananas I can't eat them they make me sick
No you cannot leave the bananas out of a banana bread recipe. I would suggest making this chocolate chip zucchini bread and adding the cherries to it. https://insidebrucrewlife.com/chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread/
can you add nuts to this
You sure can! I would do 3/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts. I hope you enjoy it!
I would like to make this in mini loaves....what would the baking times be for 3x5 pans
Please reply. Thanks.
I have actually never baked this particular recipe in any other pan, so I don't have an exact time for you. My guess is to fill the pans half full and bake for 30-40 minutes. Start testing the bread with a toothpick or knife at 30 minutes and continue baking it until one of those comes out with a few sticky crumbs on it. I hope that helps and you enjoy the bread!