These moist and fluffy Banana Pineapple Muffins have a delicious coconut crunch. Add a Hawaiian flavor to breakfast or brunch this summer with these easy tropical muffins.
Since we had more ripe bananas to use I had to make more banana muffins. These ones are made with coconut, pineapple, and cherries to give them a flavor that will remind you of summer.
Why This Works
These delicious muffins will transport you to a tropical island in no time at all. Banana pineapple muffins are a great way to enjoy the tropics in your own home.
The combination of banana and pineapple makes them sweet, fluffy, and irresistible. Plus, the coconut crunch on top takes these muffins over the top. It gives them that extra Hawaiian flavor.
Serve them at your next breakfast or brunch and watch them disappear. They are sure to become a new summertime favorite.
This tropical muffin recipe is so easy to make. You probably have most of the basic ingredients in your kitchen already.
- All Purpose Flour - Make sure you know how to measure flour correctly because it can affect the outcome of any baked good.
- Quick Oats - The quick cooking oats add some texture to the muffins.
- Butter - Using unsalted butter allows you the opportunity to control how much salt you want to add.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the muffin batter. Feel free to use a mixture of half regular and half brown sugar.
- Greek Yogurt - The creaminess gives moisture to baked goods. The acidity also activates the baking soda, making the muffins rise.
- Crushed Pineapple - One small can drained very well adds the tropical flavor.
- Bananas - Brown spotted bananas will give the best flavor in baked goods. If the bananas are not ripe, see how to ripen bananas in the oven with these easy tips.
- Shredded Coconut - We always use sweetened shredded coconut, but you can use unsweetened if you want to cut some sugar.
- Maraschino Cherries - Drained and quartered these cherries add a delicious pop of color and flavor in every bite. Fresh pitted cherries can also be used.
How to Make
These easy banana pineapple muffins only take about 30 minutes to make from start to finish, so they are perfect for a quick breakfast. The toasted coconut on top will remind you of the Hawaiian islands.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Add the egg, yogurt, banana, drained pineapple, and vanilla and mix again.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Stir in the shredded coconut and diced cherries gently.
- Spoon the muffin batter evenly into 16 paper liners in a muffin tin. Sprinkle the tops with more shredded coconut before baking.
- Once the muffins are done, remove them from the pan and place them on a wire rack until they are completely cool.
How to Store
Keep the pineapple banana muffins in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 4-5 days.
These tropical muffins will freeze well too. Place the cooled muffins in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw on the counter before serving.
Reheat the muffins in the microwave for 10-20 seconds for a fresh, hot breakfast treat.
- Use very ripe bananas for a great banana flavor in your muffins. Dark and spotted are best.
- Drain the crushed pineapple very well. The easiest way is to pour it into a mesh wire strainer and let it sit over a bowl.
- Add ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans, if you like nuts in your banana muffins.
- Make sure the muffins are completely cool before placing in an air tight container.
Why are my muffins flat?
There are a couple reasons that muffins bake flat. The batter may have been over or under mixed, or they may have been under baked. Another reason may be that your leavening is old or not measured properly.
Why are there tunnels and holes in my muffins?
Over mixing muffin batter will cause your muffins to be tough and to have holes throughout them.
More Muffin Recipes
- Cream Cheese Filled Carrot Cake Muffins
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Banana Nutella Muffins
- Apple Biscoff Muffins
- Mocha Muffins
- Blueberry Orange Muffins
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for tropical muffins was first published March 2012. The post and photos have been updated and republished June 2022.