Creepy candies and green frosting make these Cauldron Cupcakes a fun addition to Halloween parties! Trust me. Ghouls and goblins of all ages love a dessert with gummy worms and googly eyes on it!
Years ago we lived down the road from a couple that would always decorate their house for Halloween. They had large life-sized skeletons crawling on the roof and up the side of the house! At night they turned on a red glowing lightbulb, so you can just barely see the skeletons. It is so cool!
I know this might seem creepy and scary, but my husband and I both agree that it looked so fun. We love Halloween!!! It totally made me want to go buy 5 skeletons to attach to our house too! Well, that was until I looked at how much those big ones actually cost. Yikes!
It seemed like a much better idea to just keep driving by their house each night enjoying the fun decorations there instead of buying them.
One of my most popular recipes around Halloween are these dirt cupcakes. Kids and adults love dirt pudding cake, so finding a hidden center of pudding inside cupcakes is so fun. And of course, an easy recipe with gummy worms is a hit no matter what. Right?
I started thinking about how I could make pudding filled cupcakes with a Halloween twist this year.
I still had a jar full of googly eyes leftover from making these ghost cookies and these Halloween eyeballs, so I knew the candy eyes had to be part of the spooky cupcakes. But how could I incorporate the pudding and worms?
Then it hit me! Cauldron cupcakes full of creepy things would be so fun! Plus, it would help me use up all those fun sprinkles I bought a while ago.
You could totally make these homemade, but I took the easy way out for these pudding cupcakes. Box mixes for the win here!
These easy dirt pudding cupcakes consist of three layers. Brownies, frosting, and sprinkles.
- Cupcake base: I like to use a box brownie mix for these cupcakes. You can do homemade ones or use a chocolate cake mix as well.
- Pudding Center and Frosting: Instant vanilla pudding mixed with milk and whipped cream creates the fluffy pudding center and top. PRO TIP: Tint it green for the spooky witch's cauldron look.
- Candies: Googly eyes, gummy worms, black licorice, spider and bones sprinkles, green jimmies, and green candy pearls are all fun additions to the tops of these spooky pudding cupcakes.
Want to make these traditional dirt pudding cupcakes? Use chocolate pudding for the filling, skip the extra candies, and top the frosting with Oreo cookie crumbs and gummy worms.
These fun cupcakes are easy to do with your kids. Put bowls of spooky toppings out on the table and let them go to town creating cauldrons of creepiness! They will love it!!!
How to make Cauldron Cupcakes
- Mix together the brownie mix and bake in black cupcake liners. Cool completely. You can also use a cake mix, if you prefer.
- Whisk together instant pudding with milk. Let it set up, then fold in Cool Whip or easy homemade whipped cream to make an easy pudding frosting. Tint it green using a green gel color.
- Cut out the center of the brownie cupcakes. Fill the hole with the pudding.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes with the rest of the pudding frosting.
- Add a licorice handle and lots of candies and sprinkles to the tops of each cupcake.
These cauldron cupcakes and these decorated monster cookies would be a fun and edible craft for kids to make at Halloween parties. Or just because they are so fun to make!
More Easy Halloween Treats
- Owl Candy
- Halloween Fudge
- Halloween Cheesecake (no bake parfaits)
- Frankenstein Marshmallows
- Halloween Oreo Bars
- Peanut Butter Spiders
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Witch's Cauldron Brownie Cupcakes was first published October 21, 2015. The photos and post were updated and republished October 3, 2020.