Creepy candies and green frosting make these Witch’s Cauldron Brownie Cupcakes a fun addition to all your Halloween parties this year! Trust me. Ghouls and goblins of all ages love a dessert with gummy worms in it!
Years ago we lived down the road from a couple that would always decorate their house for Halloween. They had large life-sized skeletons crawling on the roof and up the side of the house! At night they turned on a red glowing lightbulb, so you can just barely see the skeletons. It is so cool!
I know this might seem creepy and scary, but my husband and I both agree that it looked so fun. We love Halloween!!! It totally made me want to go buy 5 skeletons to attach to our house too! Well, that was until I looked at how much those big ones actually cost. Yikes!
It seemed like a much better idea to just keep driving by their house each night enjoying the fun decorations there instead of buying them.
One of my most popular recipes around Halloween are these Pudding Filled Dirt Cupcakes. Kids and adults love dirt pudding cake, so finding a hidden center of pudding inside cupcakes is so fun. And of course, an easy recipe with gummy worms is a hit no matter what. Right?
I started thinking about how I could make dirt cupcakes with a Halloween twist this year.
I still had a jar full of googly eyes leftover from making these Ghost Cookies and these Zombie Peanut Butter Eyeballs, so I knew the candy eyes had to be part of the spooky cupcakes. But how could I incorporate the pudding and worms?
Then it hit me! Cauldron cupcakes full of creepy things would be so fun! Plus, it would help me use up all those fun sprinkles I bought a while ago.
You could totally make these homemade, but I took the easy way out for these pudding cupcakes. Box mixes for the win here!
These easy dirt pudding cupcakes consist of three layers. Brownies, frosting, and sprinkles.
- Cupcake base: I like to use a box brownie mix for these cupcakes. You can do homemade ones or use a chocolate cake mix as well.
- Pudding Center and Frosting: Instant vanilla pudding mixed with milk and whipped cream creates the fluffy pudding center and top. PRO TIP: Tint it green for the spooky witch’s cauldron look.
- Candies: Googly eyes, gummy worms, black licorice, spider and bones sprinkles, green jimmies, and green candy pearls are all fun additions to the tops of these spooky pudding cupcakes.
Want to make these traditional dirt pudding cupcakes? Use chocolate pudding for the filling, skip the extra candies, and top the frosting with Oreo cookie crumbs and gummy worms.
These fun cupcakes are easy to do with your kids. Put bowls of spooky toppings out on the table and let them go to town creating cauldrons of creepiness! They will love it!!!
How to make Witch’s Cauldron Cupcakes:
- Mix together the brownie mix and bake in black cupcake liners. Cool completely. You can also use a cake mix, if you prefer.
- Whisk together instant pudding with milk. Let it set up, then fold in Cool Whip or Homemade Whipped Cream to make an easy pudding frosting. Tint it green using a green gel color.
- Cut out the center of the brownie cupcakes. Fill the hole with the pudding.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes with the rest of the pudding frosting.
- Add a licorice handle and lots of candies and sprinkles to the tops of each cupcake.
These cauldron cupcakes and these Make Your Own Monster Cookie Pops would be a fun and edible craft for kids to make at Halloween parties. Or just because they are so fun to make!
More fun and easy Halloween treats:
- Reese’s Owls
- Spooky Chocolate Vanilla Oreo Fudge
- No Bake Halloween Cheesecake Parfaits
- Frankenstein Marshmallows
- Halloween Swirled Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Cup Spider Cookies
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 (for a 9x13 pan) box brownie mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
For the Frosting
- 1 (3.3 ounce) box instant white chocolate or vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- green gel color
- candy eyes
- green candy pearls
- spider and bone sprinkles
- green jimmies
- 15 gummy worms, cut in half
- chocolate licorice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 15 cupcake liners in pan.
- Mix together the brownie mix, water, oil, and eggs until combined. Spoon evenly into liners.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk. Fold in the Cool Whip until combined. Use the green gel color to tint the frosting to a green color you like.
- Use a cupcake corer or melon scoop to remove the center of the cupcakes. Fill each hole with the pudding frosting. Use the rest of the filling to frost the tops of the cupcakes.
- Push a licorice piece into either side of the cupcakes to create a handle. Top each cupcake with gummy worms, eyes, pearls, and sprinkles. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until time to serve.
- Feel free to use Homemade Whipped Cream instead of the Cool Whip.
- Want to make traditional dirt pudding cupcakes? Use chocolate pudding for the filling, skip the extra candies, and top the frosting with Oreo cookie crumbs and gummy worms.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Witch’s Cauldron Brownie Cupcakes was first published October 21, 2015. The photos and post were updated and republished October 3, 2020.