This Apple Crumble Cake is the perfect way to start your day. It's sweet, moist, and topped with plenty of apple slices. The warm spices in this simple apple cake recipe give it such a great fall flavor. Plus, it's easy to make too!
Fresh apples and a streusel topping add a sweet flavor to this apple crumble cake. But it doesn't stop there. We also added a sweet glaze that makes a coffee cake even more irresistible!
It really is the perfect treat for fall. You won't be able to stop eating bites once you try it for yourself.
Why This Recipe Works
If you are looking for a quick breakfast or if you just want something sweet after dinner, this is the recipe for you. This simple apple cake is topped with lots of apple slices, a crumble topping, and a sweet glaze will hit the spot every time.
This is a simple recipe that anyone can make at home, and it tastes absolutely delicious. It literally comes together in minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
Make your next brunch or breakfast extra special with this easy apple coffee cake recipe. Or warm it up and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzles for dessert. Either way, it's sure to satisfy your apple cravings!
This easy apple crumble cake recipe can be made in minutes with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Butter - Unsalted and softened. If you use salted, adjust the salt in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar sweetens the coffee cake and keeps it moist.
- Applesauce - Adds a little more apple flavor. You can also use 1 egg instead of the applesauce.
- Greek Yogurt - Gives it a great crumb texture. Sour cream can also be used in place of this.
- Flour - Provides the structure in the batter. Make sure you are measuring the flour correctly.
- Spices - A combination of cinnamon and star anise add a delicious flavor. Don't have star anise? Use nutmeg or extra cinnamon instead.
- Apples - Cored and cut into thin slices. Leaving the peels on adds a little bit of color to the top of the cake. Use your favorite variety in this easy recipe.
How To Make Apple Crumble Cake
This easy apple crumble cake comes together in just few simple steps. Follow each one and in minutes you can have this sweet fall cake baking in your oven too.
- Beat the softened butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the applesauce, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract and mix again. It's ok if the mixture looks strange or curdled.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until a soft batter comes together.
- Spread it in a prepared 9 inch springform pan.
- Add the cold butter and the crumble ingredients in a small bowl.
- Use a fork to cut everything together.
- Core and cut the apples into thin slices. Arrange the apples in a ring around the pan on top of the batter. Use more slices to make a smaller ring in the center. Do not over lap the apples.
- Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the top of the cake and bake.
Counter: Let the crumb cake cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil to keep the cake from drying out. It will keep on the counter for 1-2 days.
Freezer: Wrap the unglazed apple cake tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw over night in the fridge. Bring to room temperature, then add the glaze before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a a mix of sweet and tart apples to give the cake a great flavor. Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples are two great choices. We also love Gala apples.
- Do NOT layer the apple slices when you put them on the batter. They should be mostly flat with the batter with just the very edge on top of each other.
- Use other fruits to change up this breakfast cake. Pears, peaches, and raspberries would be great.
- Add ¼ cup of your favorite chopped nuts to the streusel topping.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar instead of adding the glaze.
- Serve slices of this apple crumb cake with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel topping or with a big swirl of homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
You can also bake this coffee cake in an 8x8 pan or a regular 9 inch cake pan. Just remember that the baking time will need to be adjusted slightly based on the pan you use.
That's up to you. I prefer to leave the peels on in this apple cake because it adds a great color and texture.
Using cold butter keeps the crumble in tighter pieces as it bakes. If you use warm or melted butter the topping will spread more.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Cider Bread
- Apple Granola Bars
- Apple Cider Donut Holes
- Caramel Apple Scones
- Apple Waffles
- Apple Baked Oatmeal
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*The post for Apple Crumble Cake was first published September 2015. The post and photos were updated and republished October 2021.