You won't be able to resist this Blackberry Cheesecake. It has a chocolate crust and a creamy vanilla cheesecake that is filled with swirls of homemade blackberry pie filling. The irresistible combination will have you craving another slice immediately.
Recently, I realized that we haven't shared very many simple flavors. Since we had some blackberries in the fridge, I decided to make pie filling and swirl them into our vanilla cheesecake base.
Making a cheesecake from scratch can seem overwhelming, but it really is not that hard. All you need are the right ingredients and tools, easy tips and tricks, and a little bit of time.
Why You Will Love This Cheesecake
The flavors in this blackberry cheesecake complement each other perfectly. A chocolate crust adds a delicious contrast to the creamy vanilla cheesecake, while the blackberry pie filling adds a beautiful color and berry taste.
It is so easy to make and does not require any special equipment or ingredients. All you need is some patience in making it and time to let it cool for a few hours.
Swirls of whipped cream and fresh blackberries make each slice look so pretty. Extra pie filling adds a delicious layer of flavor that takes this dessert over the top.
Get ready to wow your friends and family with this simple blackberry cheesecake recipe. All you need are a few ingredients, a mixer, a some time.
- Graham Cracker Crust - Chocolate graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter makes a super simple crust. We like using this graham cracker crust recipe for cheesecake.
- Cream Cheese - Full fat cream cheese gives the cheesecake the creamiest texture.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cheesecake filling and also helps to smooth out the cream cheese.
- Sour Cream and Heavy Cream - Adds a creaminess and tang to the filling.
- Eggs - Gives cheesecake a rich smooth texture.
- Flour - Adding just a little bit of flour helps to thicken the filling.
- Blackberry Pie Filling - Feel free to use a can of store bought filling or homemade blackberry pie filling.
How To Make Blackberry Cheesecake
Making a blackberry cheesecake from scratch is actually quite easy to make. Plus, it looks amazing and tastes absolutely delicious. Follow our easy steps, and you will be enjoying your own cheesecake for dessert.
Prep the ingredients and pan.
- Line a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Place a large sheet pan on the very bottom oven rack and fill it with hot water.
- Preheat the oven.
Make a graham cracker crust.
- Stir together the chocolate graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Press the mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan.
Make cheesecake batter.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the flour, vanilla, and sour cream and mix it all together.
- Whisk the eggs lightly in a separate small bowl, just to break up the yolks.
- Add the eggs and heavy cream to the batter and mix again. Make sure you do not over beat the mixture.
Assemble the cheesecake.
- Pour half the filling onto the prepared crust.
- Spoon ½ cup pie filling over the top and swirl the blackberry mixture lightly with a butter knife.
- Repeat the layers again with the remaining batter and another ½ cup filling.
Bake and cool.
- Place the cheesecake on the oven rack directly over the pan of steaming water. Bake one hour.
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door slightly. Let it cool 5-10 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack.
- Use a sharp knife to loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan. Let it cool for 1-2 hours, then place it in the fridge to completely chill.
BRUCREW TIP: Cheesecake shrinks as it cools. So, if you leave the cheesecake attached to the sides of the pan, it may crack in the center.
Decorate and serve.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan and peel off the parchment paper from the bottom.
- Place the cheesecake on a large serving plate.
- Add swirls of homemade whipped topping, fresh blackberries, and mint leaves around the outside edge.
- For more berry flavor, make an extra batch of blackberry topping for cheesecake. It's nice to have more to serve with each slice.
Keep the covered cheesecake in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
You can also freeze the whole blackberry cheesecake, or you can cut it up and freeze individual slices. Make sure the cheesecake has been refrigerated for at least 6 hours before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Set the ingredients out ahead of time. It is much easier to cream everything together when they are room temperature.
- Preheat your oven and place a large sheet pan on the very bottom rack of the oven. Fill it halfway with water for a steam bath. This is quite a controversial topic, but I have found that the steam method works great. Plus, it's so much easier than a water bath, and you don't have to worry about water seeping in and ruining a perfectly good cheesecake.
- Do NOT over mix the batter! Over mixing adds air bubbles to the batter which rise as it bakes creating cracks in the surface of the cheesecake.
- Make sure your knife does not disturb the crust when swirling the pie filling.
- When you bake the cheesecake, place the pan on the oven rack directly ABOVE the steaming pan of hot water.
- Do not cover a warm cheesecake because it will have a little puddle of water on top later and the top will be soggy.
Flour thickens the texture of the cheesecake batter slightly, making it less likely to crack as it bakes.
No, you can definitely bake a cheesecake without the traditional water bath. We like to bake our cheesecakes with a pan of water underneath the cheesecake as it bakes to create a steamy atmosphere.
The steam keeps the cheesecake from drying out as it bakes. Plus, using a steam bath keeps the water from leaking into the cheesecake pan.
The center of the cheesecake should jiggle as a whole (like Jello) when you gently shake the pan. The edges should be set and the center two inches should still look soft. It will continue to cook and firm up as it cools.
More Cheesecake Recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.