This three-ingredient Blackberry Dump Cake is a quick and delicious dessert. The juicy berries and buttery cake mix topping make it perfect for potlucks or fancy dinners.
When I am pressed for time, I love to make simple desserts. My favorite ones to make over the years have been dump cake and cherry crisp. Our entire family enjoys how the vanilla ice cream slowly melts into the warm fruit filling.
A dump cake practically makes itself with no stirring or mixing required. This dessert is perfect to make when you're invited to an event on short notice.
What Is A Dump Cake?
A dump cake is a dessert that's a cross between a cake and a cobbler. It's made by "dumping" all the ingredients in one pan and baking it.
Dump cakes and cobblers are similar. Both desserts are made with fruit filling and a crust topping.
Why This Blackberry Cake Mix Cobbler Works
This blackberry dump cake recipe is both delicious and incredibly easy to make. The best part is that you can change the pie filling and cake flavor to create a new recipe every time you bake one. So, get creative and have fun!
- Quick and easy. This recipe comes together in minutes with three simple ingredients.
- No mixing bowls are required. You don't need to mix anything. Just dump the ingredients into the baking dish and pop it into the oven.
- Serve it in multiple ways. Enjoy this crowd-pleasing, easy dessert warm with ice cream or at room temperature with homemade whipped cream.
Making a dump cake with cake mix is one of the easiest desserts. With only three ingredients, you can make a special treat that tastes like an easy blackberry cobbler.
- Pie Filling - You will need two cans of store-bought fruit filling or use fresh blackberries to make blackberry pie filling.
- Cake Mix - This cobbler tastes excellent with vanilla, lemon, or yellow cake mix. Feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand.
- Cold Butter - Use salted or unsalted butter because either one works.
How To Make A Blackberry Dump Cake
Preparing this blackberry lemon dump cake recipe is a breeze. The only challenge is to wait for it to finish baking so you can enjoy the warm cake.
- Spread two cans of blackberry pie filling in a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the dry box of cake mix over the top in an even layer.
- Drop small pats of butter all over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the sauce bubbles, then serve hot or cold.
Keep the leftover blackberry cobbler at room temperature for a few hours. Once it has completely cooled, cover it with a tight-fitting lid or plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Prevent your dump cake from sticking. Use a nonstick cooking spray to prevent food from sticking to your dish. It's a simple yet effective solution.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly, but don't stress about perfection. It is called "dump" cake for a reason – the messier, the better!
- Avoid dry spots. Make sure to space out the butter evenly so it melts into everything.
- If you would like to make it lighter, use less butter. But the buttery magic adds a rich flavor, so live a little. It's dessert, after all!
- Go wild with toppings! Ice cream, whipped cream, or even a sprinkle of powdered sugar will add a delicious touch.
What I love about a dump cake recipe is how easy it is to change the flavor based on what you have or like. Here are a few of our favorite combos.
- Cherry Dump Cake - cherry pie filling, yellow or chocolate cake mix
- Pumpkin Cobbler - homemade pumpkin filling, yellow cake mix, pecans
- Apple Dump Cake - apple pie filling, spice cake
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake - cherry pie filling, homemade chocolate biscuits
- Blueberry Dump Cake - blueberry pie filling, lemon cake
Absolutely! Feel free to mix it up with a white or vanilla cake mix. Get creative!
Store leftover dump cake in the refrigerator. Cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 days.
Serve the warm three-ingredient cake with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and room-temperature dump cake with Cool Whip.
More Blackberry Recipes
- Blackberry Cheesecake Pie
- Blackberry Swirl Ice Cream
- Seedless Blackberry Preserves
- Blackberry Cheesecake
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published in July 2017. The post was updated and republished in November 2023.