Enjoy a big bowl of this Chocolate Cherry Cobbler for dessert tonight. The sweet layer of homemade pie filling under soft, fluffy, chocolate biscuits tastes so good.
Serve this cherry cobbler recipe with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent treat.
Why Make a Cobbler
The answer is yes. I added some dark cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips to the dough along with a little bit more heavy cream to get the perfect chocolate biscuit topping.
This sweet chocolate cobbler is a Cracker Barrel copycat recipe that tastes just like the seasonal dessert you can sometimes order in restaurants.
The gooey pie filling AND chocolate biscuits on it will have you fall in love with this sweet summer dessert!!! Chocolate and cherries are such a delicious combo.
Get ready to top this black forest cobbler with ice cream or whipped cream and DIG IN!!!
Now you may be thinking this looks just like a dump cake. And I would kind of agree. They are very similar, but a cobbler has a major difference in the topping.
What is the difference between a dump cake and a cobbler
- Dump cake has a fruit filling on the bottom that is topped with a dry cake mix and then drizzled with melted butter
- Cobbler has a fruit filling that is covered with batter, biscuits, or dumplings.
This chocolate cobbler tastes just like a black forest cake with a lot less work.
Here is the list of ingredients needed to make cherry cobbler and biscuits. Most of the items are things you should already have in your pantry.
- Cherry Pie Filling - made with fresh cherries. Feel free to use sweet cherries or a mixture of sweet and tart cherries.
- Flour - thickens the batter. Make sure to spoon the flour into your measuring cup.
- Sugar - sweetens the chocolate biscuits
- Baking Powder - allows the biscuit dough to rise
- Salt & Cinnamon - for flavor
- Cocoa Powder - gives it the chocolate taste. You can use regular or dark cocoa.
- Butter - unsalted and cold
- Heavy Whipping Cream - adds moisture and richness to the biscuit topping
- Chocolate Chips - mini chips give it a bigger chocolate flavor
How to Make a Chocolate Cherry Cobbler
This cherry cobbler is very simple to make. I recommend making the homemade cherry pie filling ahead of time, so it is already cooled and ready to go.
- Make a batch of cherry pie filling. You can also use canned cherry pie filling if you like.
- Spoon cooled filling in the bottom of a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together flour, sugar, dark cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in cold butter until crumbs form.
- Pour in heavy cream and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips gently.
- Drop spoonfuls of chocolate biscuit dough on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven until hot and bubbly.
There is no wrong way to eat this black forest cobbler. Try it hot with vanilla ice cream or warm with Homemade Whipped Cream. Either way you are going to fall in love with this gooey chocolate lava cake.
Other Fruit Desserts
- Peach Crisp recipe
- Strawberry Pie Filling
- Apple Bread Pudding
- Blackberry Preserves
- Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- Pineapple Trifle
- No Bake Strawberry Pie
- Blackberry Dump Cake
- Easy Cherry Pie
- Disney Dole Whip recipe
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.