Enjoy a big bowl of this Chocolate Cherry Cobbler for dessert tonight. The sweet layer of homemade pie filling under soft, fluffy, chocolate biscuits tastes so good.
Serve this cherry cobbler recipe with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent treat.
Last week I told you that my favorite way to eat this Homemade Cherry Pie Filling was with a spoon. I have since changed my mind. Oh, I’m still eating it with a spoon…
But now my spoon has lots of gooey pie filling AND chocolate biscuits on it. Seriously, you guys! I am in love with this sweet summer dessert!!! Chocolate and cherries are such a delicious combo.
Get ready to top this black forest cobbler with ice cream or whipped cream and DIG IN!!!
A few weeks ago I made this Strawberry Cobbler again. As I was eating it I started wondering if I could incorporate chocolate into the topping.
The answer is yes. I added some dark cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips to the dough along with a little bit more heavy cream to get the perfect chocolate topping.
This sweet chocolate cobbler is a Cracker Barrel copycat recipe that tastes just like the seasonal dessert you can sometimes order in restaurants.
Now you may be thinking this looks just like a dump cake. And I would kind of agree. They are very similar, but a cobbler has a major difference in the topping.
What is the difference between a dump cake and a cobbler?
- Dump cake has a fruit filling on the bottom that is topped with a dry cake mix and then drizzled with melted butter
- Cobbler has a fruit filling that is covered with batter, biscuits, or dumplings.
This chocolate cobbler tastes just like a black forest cake with a lot less work.
How to make a Chocolate Cherry Cobbler:
- Make a batch of cherry pie filling. (You can also use canned cherry pie filling if you like) Place in bottom of buttered baking dish. (full recipe below)
- Mix together flour, sugar, dark cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in cold butter until crumbs form.
- Pour in heavy cream and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips gently.
- Drop spoonfuls of chocolate biscuit dough on top of the cherry pie filling and bake.
There is no wrong way to eat this black forest cobbler. Try it hot with vanilla ice cream or warm with Homemade Whipped Cream. Either way you are going to fall in love with this gooey chocolate lava cake.
Other easy fruit desserts you may like:
- Peach Crisp
- Easy Apple Bread Pudding
- Homemade Seedless Blackberry Preserves
- Rustic Fruit Tart
- Fruit Salsa Yogurt Cups
Connect more with Inside BruCrew Life!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #brucrewlifebaking, so I can see the Inside BruCrew Life recipes you are making.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 batch Homemade Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add cold butter and use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter in until crumbs form.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir until a soft dough forms. Stir in the mini chocolate chips gently.
- Spoon the pie filling into the prepared dish. Drop spoofuls of chocolate dough over the top of the filling.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until dough is cooked and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool 15-30 minutes before serving.
*If you use an 8x8 pan, place a baking sheet on the oven rack under the pan just in case it bubbles over.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.