A braided Cherry Danish is an easy treat to make for breakfast or dessert this holiday season. Puff pastry is filled with cream cheese and fruit filling and baked until golden brown. If you love cherries and cheesecake, this pastry braid is for you.
*This post is sponsored by Lucky Leaf. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
I love having a pastry or cinnamon rolls for breakfast from time to time. Pairing coffee with a classic sour cream coffee cake, a banana coffee cake, or a blueberry danish is always a delicious idea.
What if I told you that you could enjoy cheesecake for breakfast? Of course, you don't need my permission to do that, but this cherry and cream cheese pastry is the perfect reason to.
Why Make a Cherry Cheese Danish
This gorgeous pastry braid looks just like the ones you can purchase in bakeries or at Costco, but it tastes so much better. The best part is that you can make this danish recipe at home with ingredients you know and trust.
It is so simple to make with just a few ingredients. Puff pastry and fruit filling are the secret ingredients that make this cherry danish quick and easy.
What I love most about this fruit danish is how you can customize it. Swap out the cherry fruit filling for blueberry or strawberry if you like one of those better.
Combine these simple ingredients for a cherry cheese danish that is out of this world. This braided danish is fancy enough for holiday parties, yet simple enough for a weekend brunch or easy breakfast.
- Puff Pastry - You will need two sheets of store-bought puff pastry, thawed according to the box directions. I found that Pepperidge Farm really was the best dough for this braid.
- Cream Cheese - This adds the cheesecake flavor to the braid.
- Granulated Sugar - You will just need a little bit to sweeten the cream cheese.
- Vanilla & Almond Extract - Adds flavor to the cheese filling.
- Cherry Fruit Filling - Not all fruit filling is the same. Lucky Leaf® Fruit Filling has the best color and fruit to filling ratio that I have found. It is an easy product to use in any dessert recipe.
- Egg - A light egg wash will give your puff pastry a beautiful color.
- Turbinado Sugar - A sprinkle of raw sugar adds a delicious crunch and color to the baked danish.
Why Use Lucky Leaf
When I am baking or making no bake desserts, I always reach for Lucky Leaf Premium Fruit Filling. It is so convenient to use as a topping or filling in easy-to-make recipes.
I have had the privilege of working with Lucky Leaf® for quite a few years now. I love that they do not use high-fructose syrup in their fillings. Plus, each can has more fruit inside. It truly is my favorite.
How to Make a Cherry Danish
Made with just a few ingredients, this is a quick and easy cherry danish to make. If you love cream cheese and cherries, this is a pastry that you will want to make over and over.
Make a Cream Cheese Filling
1. Prep the ingredients. Set the cream cheese and puff pastry out ahead of time, so they are ready to use.
2. Make the filling. Mix the softened cream cheese, sugar, and extracts in a small bowl until smooth.
Assemble the Braid
3. Unfold and roll out the pastry. Use a rolling pin to roll out the puff pastry sheets slightly on a sheet of parchment paper.
Cut notches in the top and bottom of each one. Then make six diagonal cuts toward the center of the braid leaving a 4 inch middle.
4. Add the cream cheese filling. Evenly spread the sweetened cream cheese mixture onto the center of each puff pastry.
5. Add the cherries. Divide the can of Lucky Leaf cherry fruit filling evenly on each pastry.
6. Make a braid. Fold up the bottom of the dough, then start folding the sliced pieces, alternating right to left until they form a braid.
7. Refrigerate the pans of dough. Place both baking sheets in the refrigerator and chill the braided cherry danish for at least 30 minutes.
8. Brush with egg wash. Remove one pan from the fridge. Use a small pastry brush, paint the top of the dough with an egg wash and then sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until golden brown.
To Store - Store the leftover cream cheese danish in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
To Reheat - This can be served cold, at room temperature, or you can reheat slices in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
I have tested this many different ways, so you don't have to. Follow these tips so your cherry danish recipe will be perfect every time.
- Be sure to chill the assembled pastry before putting it into the oven. Puff pastry cooks and puffs best when it is cold.
- If your puff pastry gets too soft or warm while you are working with it, return it to the refrigerator to chill.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the diagonal lines in the pastry. This keeps nice clean lines in the dough.
- Keep the egg wash on top of the pastry and not on the edges of the braid. The layers in the pastry will puff up better if there is not egg on the edges.
- Can't find puff pastry? You can use crescent rolls or crescent sheets instead.
- Lucky Leaf Premium Fruit Filling is so versatile, so try changing it up with apple, strawberry, peach, or blueberry fruit filling.
- Don't want to add a glaze? Use a dusting wand to add a sprinkle of powdered sugar instead.
It is a pastry that combines dough, fruit filling, and cream cheese filling to form a breakfast or dessert treat.
Yes. You can assemble the braid the night before. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days until it is time to bake it.
Allow the baked danishes to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Other Fruit Filled Desserts
Connect more with Lucky Leaf
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*This recipe was sponsored by Lucky Leaf. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for letting me share products and brands I use and love. See my disclosure policy for more information.*
**We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com .
Prepared it tonight! love it. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Thank you for this recipe. It was easy to prepare but oh so delicious. I love cherries. For sure, this is winner!!!
Can’t wait to make this! Looks to be a wonderful treat for the holiday brunch buffet! ❤️
This suddenly looks so easy, after wondering for a while if I could save time and money by making these for my family. Thanks so much
Going to make this for my husband. He loves cherries.
Easy to follow and looks delicious! Oh my waistline!
Looks delicious 😋