Chocolate muddy buddies is the perfect treat for any chocolate lover! A coating of chocolate chip cookies and mini chocolate chips takes this classic cereal treat to a whole new level.
Is this called puppy chow or muddy buddies? When we lived in the Midwest, we always called it peanut butter puppy chow. After we moved, I learned that other parts of the country call it muddy buddies or monkey munch.
I love finding fun and new ways to change up the flavor of this sweet snack mix. My husband doesn't like peanut butter, so I wanted to find a way to make muddy buddies without peanut butter. It turns out all you have to do is add extra chocolate.
Did you know you can use crushed cookies in place of some of the powdered sugar? It's a fun way to give the treat an amazing texture and taste. Our kids devoured this animal cracker muddy buddies, so I couldn't wait to try another kind.
Why This Chocolate Muddy Buddies Recipe Works
Adding chocolate chip cookies to the chocolate muddies buddies gives it a delicious and unique cookie taste.
- Quick and easy treat. You can make this sweet Chex mix in minutes using just a microwave! No need to bake or use any special tools.
- Sweet twist on muddy buddies. Crushed chocolate chip cookies and mini chocolate chips gives the mixture a chocolatey crunch.
- Everyone loves it. It is the ultimate snack to bring to family get-togethers, school events, or holiday parties.
To make chocolate muddy buddies recipe, you only need a few ingredients and mini chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Chex Cereal - Obviously, this is a chocolate snack mix, so we had to use the chocolate Chex. Feel free to use rice or corn Chex.
- Melting Wafers - Use a good quality chocolate that you can melt in the microwave. We like the Ghirardelli melting wafers the best because they melt easily and taste great. You can use vanilla or milk chocolate for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies - Crushed crunchy cookies adds such a delicious cookie crunch to the Chex mix. We like using Keebler cookies for this, but any brand would work.
- Mini Chocolate Chips - These are totally optional, but seriously more chocolate is always a good idea.
- Powdered Sugar - Makes the snack mix extra delicious with a sugar coating.
How to Make Chocolate Muddy Buddies
Get ready to whip up a delicious treat in minutes with this amazing sweet chocolate chip puppy chow. And the best part? You don't even need an oven or any fancy equipment!
- Prep the ingredients. Add the cereal to a large bowl. Crush the cookies in a food processor. Melt the chocolate in the microwave according to the package directions.
- Stir in chocolate. Pour the melted chocolate on the cereal. Stir gently until everything is covered.
- Cover in cookie crumbs. Spoon the cereal mixture into a large ziplock bag. Add the crushed cookies and some mini chocolate chips. Close and shake until coated.
- Shake on powdered sugar. Sprinkle the chocolate mixture in the bag with powdered sugar. Close and shake again. Dump onto a parchment paper lined tray and sprinkle with more chocolate chips.
On the Counter: Keep the chocolate snack mix in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for 3-4 days.
In the Refrigerator or Freezer: Store it in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also keep it in the freezer for up to a month.
Tips and Tricks
- Melt the chocolate at 50% power. Over heating the chocolate can ruin it.
- Stir gently. To avoid breaking the cereal into pieces, make sure you stir the chocolate into the cereal very gently.
- Use a Ziplock bag. Put the chocolate covered cereal in the bag and add powdered sugar. Tightly seal the bag and shake until everything is coated in white sugary goodness.
- Try different cookies. Change up the flavor by using different crunchy cookies. Shortbread cookies, red velvet Oreos, vanilla wafers, or Grasshopper cookies would all taste great.
Yes, they are the same snack mix with different names.
Chex is the traditional cereal used in muddy buddies, but you can use any type of crisp cereal. I would avoid a sweetened one because it will make the snack mix extra sweet.
Muddy buddies are best eaten within 2-3 days. However, they can last up to 2 weeks if stored in a tightly sealed bag or container.
More Muddy Buddies Flavors
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published October 2013. It was updated and republished July 2023.