Plenty of sprinkles and candies make this Dark Chocolate Popcorn with M&M's a delicious and fun snack. It's the perfect treat for a family movie night or game day!
Chocolate-covered popcorn is one of my favorite no-bake treats to make. Although, once I start on it, my sweet tooth can't stop. This easy white chocolate popcorn is one of my go-to snacks when watching movies or playing games.
I stumbled upon some leftover chocolate and M&M's in our pantry this week. So, I created another popcorn treat using them. The blend was a mixture of buttery, salty popcorn, covered with the sweetness of the chocolate and loaded with M&M's candy. What a great idea that was!
Try this dark chocolate snack mix if you are tired of plain, regular popcorn. It is a fun alternative that your whole family will love. Trust me, one bite, and you will be hooked.
Why You Will Love This M&M Popcorn
This fun treat is a combination of sweet and salty popcorn mixed with plenty of sprinkles and candies. You can change the colors all year to match any party or theme with this easy recipe.
- Ready in minutes. Just toss it all together in a big bowl, spread it on a sheet pan, and then it's ready to go.
- Party pleaser! Make a big batch for your next gathering, and watch it disappear within minutes.
- Easy to share. You can serve it in a large bowl for everyone to snack on all night. Or pack it in individual paper bags for a convenient grab-and-go option. Everyone will want more of this yummy treat regardless of how it's served.
You will only need four ingredients to make this M&M popcorn recipe. It comes together in minutes and disappears just as quickly!
- Popcorn - Any air-popped or microwave popcorn will work, although we prefer the butter variety.
- Mini Marshmallows - The miniature ones are the perfect size for this mix. If you only have large ones, cut them into smaller pieces with scissors before using them.
- Chocolate Candy Melts - I like using the Ghirardelli melting wafers because they melt and taste better. You can also use white almond bark or white chips instead of the candy coating.
- M&M's - We used the Valentine's and Emoji M&M's for this popcorn candy mix, but you can use any variety of chocolate candies.
How To Make Popcorn With M&M's
This recipe for popcorn candy mix is incredibly easy to make and can be prepared in just a few minutes. You only need to pop some popcorn kernels and melt some chocolate. The only challenge is waiting for the mixture to set up.
- Pop the kernels. Whether you use microwave popcorn or prefer stove-top, the choice is yours. Mix the popcorn and marshmallows in a big bowl.
- Melt the chocolate. Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat according to the package directions.
- Drizzle and toss. Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn mix, then stir the mixture thoroughly until everything is coated. Spread it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Add some color. Use a large spoon or a plastic bag to drizzle the mix with melted white chocolate. Add the candies and sprinkles, then let it harden for 10-15 minutes before breaking it into chunks.
Store leftover popcorn candy mix in an airtight container at room temperature. It is best if served within 24 hours of making it, but it will keep for 3-4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Pop mushroom popcorn kernels in an air popper. They pop up round and hold the chocolate the best.
- Remove any unpopped kernels before adding the chocolate. No one wants to bite into a seed and break a tooth!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper to keep the popcorn from sticking to the pan.
- Add the M&M candies and sprinkles immediately because the sweet chocolate hardens quickly.
- Fill cellophane bags with the popcorn mixture. Tie each with pink and red twine, then add a cute heart tag for party favors.
When choosing popcorn kernels, consider the texture you want in your end product. If you're making heavily coated popcorn, mushroom popcorn is the better choice because it is sturdy. Butterfly popcorn is a great option if you prefer a lighter, fluffier popcorn.
Other ingredients such as pretzel sticks, corn puffs, or Chex cereal pair well with this snack mix. When adding other ingredients, increase the amount of chocolate so it coats everything.
Feel free to experiment with different chocolate varieties. White chocolate, milk chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, or even a mix of all three – the choice is yours. Each variation adds a unique twist to the snack.
If you're using a microwave, melt the chocolate in short intervals at 50% power, stirring between each one. Keep the heat low and stir until the chocolate is smooth if you are using a double boiler.
Other Sweet Popcorn Mixes
- Banana Split Popcorn
- S'mores Popcorn
- White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Banana Pudding Popcorn
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and then a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published in January 2017. It was updated and then republished in January 2024.