Strawberry, banana, and chocolate will make this Banana Split Popcorn your new favorite way to eat chocolate covered popcorn. Great snack mix to make and eat for movie or game nights.
Now that summer is upon us, all I can think about are banana splits. That’s normal, right? Hot summer days and ice cream go together just like peanut butter and jelly.
Since my shorts really don’t want me eating bowls of ice cream every day this summer, I started thinking of some new ways to incorporate the banana split flavors into dessert.
This chocolate covered popcorn and this No Bake Banana Split Oreo Dessert are so easy to make. Both are the perfect summer dessert when it is too hot outside to bake.
The best part about this sweet and salty snack mix is that you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry, and it can be made in about 15 minutes.
I like to use the Ghirardelli white and chocolate melts when I make chocolate covered popcorn because I think they taste the best.
You can also use chocolate chips or Almond Bark, if that’s what you have on hand, or if it is all you can find.
How to make Banana Split Popcorn:
- Divide the popped popcorn and marshmallows evenly in three bowls. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Melt the white chocolate melts and stir in the dry banana pudding mix.
- Pour the melted chocolate into one bowl of popcorn and stir until coated. Spread out on a wax paper lined tray and let set.
- Melt more white chocolate and stir in the dry strawberry Jello mix. Pour over one bowl of popcorn and stir until coated. Spread on another wax paper lined tray.
- Melt the chocolate melts and pour over the last bowl of popcorn. Stir until coated and spread on a tray.
- Once all three chocolate covered popcorns are set, break apart into chunks and mix together in a big bowl.
- The pudding mix and Jello does not dissolve all the way into the melted chocolate. The chocolate will have a slight grainy texture, but when it dries on the popcorn you will not even notice it. I promise!
- You can also add some yellow gel food coloring to make your banana flavored white chocolate more banana colored if you like. Make sure you only use GEL food color though. If you use liquid food coloring it will make your chocolate seize and harden.
- Store the popcorn in a tightly sealed container or bag for a few days. It really is best the day you make it, as it will start to get softer the longer it sits.
This Banana Split Popcorn is great for gift giving or munching on at all hours of the day. It also makes a delicious midnight snack when you are editing pictures. Not that I would ever do that. Wink, wink!!!
More chocolate covered popcorn recipes you may like:
- Monster Cookie Dough Popcorn
- S’mores Popcorn
- Reese’s Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Candy Bar Popcorn
- M&M Nutella Popcorn
Other banana split desserts:
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Be sure to follow us on our social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 12 cups fresh popped popcorn, divided and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 1 - 10 ounce bag white candy melts, divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dry instant banana pudding mix
- yellow gel food coloring, optional
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dry strawberry Jello mix
- 3/4 cup chocolate melts (half of a 10 ounce bag)
- Place 4 cups of popcorn and 1/2 cup marshmallows in 3 bowls.
- Place 3/4 cup white melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and heat for 15-20 seconds more. Stir until creamy.
- Add the dry banana pudding mix and stir until completely mixed in. Use a toothpick to add a small bit of yellow food coloring, if desired.
- Pour over the popcorn in one bowl. Stir until the popcorn is coated. Spread out on a wax paper lined tray and let set.
- Repeat with the remaining white melts and strawberry Jello mix. Pour over popcorn in another bowl. Stir until coated and pour onto another wax paper lined tray. Let set.
- Place the chocolate melts in a bowl and heat until melted and smooth. Pour over the last popcorn bowl. Stir until coated, then pour onto a wax paper lined tray. Let set.
- Break apart all three flavors into chunks, then place in a large bowl and stir together. Store in a tightly covered bowl or bag.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 13 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Banana Split Popcorn was first published July 1, 2013. The photos and post were updated and republished June 23, 2020.