Layers of cookies, no bake cheesecake, and peppermint candies make this Peppermint Oreo Icebox Cake a delicious Christmas dessert. It's an easy no bake recipe to make for holiday dinners or parties.
Do you have a certain flavor or ingredient that you have to make at certain times of the year? This year I'm torn between peppermint and eggnog. I honestly can't decide which one I like better right now.
Today I'm sharing one more peppermint dessert before Christmas officially gets here. And you are in luck because this no bake recipe is so easy to make. Seriously, it can be made in under 30 minutes.
All you need are a few ingredients to make a no bake cheesecake and some Oreo cookies with the red filling. Regular ones will totally work too, but the dessert will not be as pretty inside.
What is an icebox cake?
In the past icebox cakes were just refrigerated layers of chocolate wafer cookies and whipped cream on a plate. As the cake sat in the fridge (or icebox), the cookies would get soft and the texture became cake-like with “frosting”. Other names for these types of cakes are dessert lasagna, lush dessert, or dream dessert.
Of course, now icebox cakes are a little more trendy. You can use pudding, pie filling, no bake cheesecake, and any cookie or sweet cracker you like for the layers in these no bake cakes. One of our favorites is this Cherry Oreo Icebox Cake made with layers of dark chocolate Oreos and cherry mousse.
Icebox cakes are seriously the easiest cakes ever to make. All you need are some cookies, a creamy filling, and Cool Whip. Or homemade whipped cream, if that’s the way you roll.
Ingredients for a Peppermint Ice Box Cake:
- Cream Cheese - make sure to set it out ahead of time
- Marshmallow Fluff - adds a sweet taste to the cream cheese
- White Chocolate Peppermint Chunks (I like to use Ghirardelli) - melt these down slowly in the microwave to add a delicious peppermint flavor
- Cool Whip - this creates a light and fluffy filling
- Oreos - any flavor will work, but the red ones are the best for a Christmas dessert
- Milk - used to soften the cookie slightly before layering it in the pan with the no bake cheesecake
How to make a Peppermint Oreo Icebox Cake:
Beat softened cream cheese and a little bit of marshmallow fluff until light and creamy.
Place some white chocolate peppermint chunks in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds at a time. Do not overheat or the chocolate will burn. Stir until creamy and then beat into the cream cheese.
Fold some Cool Whip into the mixture, so it gets light and fluffy. You can also use a double batch of this Homemade Whipped Cream if you prefer that instead. PRO TIP: To add even more peppermint flavor to this icebox cake make and use this Peppermint Whipped Cream.
Dip 16 Oreo cookies one at a time in the milk and place in the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Spread half the cream cheese mixture on top. Repeat the layers again.
Finish off the dessert with a layer of Cool Whip, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. You want it to sit long enough that the cookies get soft and the cream cheese sets up.
Right before serving add some peppermint candies or crushed candy canes to the top. If you add them earlier, the melt into the top and get sticky.
Other peppermint desserts:
- Peppermint Oreo Bark
- Peppermint Meltaways
- Oreo Peppermint Crunch Cookies
- Peppermint Mocha Bundt Cake
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Dip
- Red Velvet Peppermint Cupcakes
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It's a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what's new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup white chocolate peppermint chunks (Ghirardelli)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed and divided
- 32 Oreo cookies with red filling
- ½ cup milk
- peppermint bits
- Beat together the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.
- Place the white chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir until creamy. Heat for additional 15 seconds at a time if needed.
- Add the melted chocolate to the cream cheese mixture and beat again.
- Gently fold in 2 cups of Cool Whip to the cream cheese mixture. Spread 2 Tablespoons on the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
- Dip 16 cookies one a time into the milk and place on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half the cheesecake filling on top of the cookies.
- Dip the remaining cookies and place on top. Spread the rest of the cheesecake on top gently. Spoon the remaining Cool Whip on top. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Garnish with the peppermint bits or crushed candy canes right before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.