This fun cupcake was inspired by a Starbucks frappuccino. A graham cracker crust and marshmallow frosting makes these S’mores Frappuccino Cupcakes a delicious and fun treat. Perfect s’mores dessert for summer picnics and parties.
Years ago, I had an amazing idea to make this delicious S’mores Latte. I was so excited for this fun “new” coffee drink. It turns out that I wasn’t as creative and original as I thought.
The same year that I created that marshmallow latte, Starbucks added the S’mores Frappuccino to their summer menu. Mind blown! I had no idea that they were adding marshmallow to their coffee drinks too.
I was so disappointed this summer when they didn’t bring the s’mores drink back again. Did you get a chance to try it in past years? It was so creamy and delicious.
One of my favorite things to do with Starbucks drinks is to turn them into fun and delicious cupcakes. These Frappuccino Cupcakes and these Salted Caramel Brownie Cupcakes are a couple of my favorite coffee creations.
When I started planning out my recipes for this month, I knew that I wanted to create a s’mores cupcake that looked and tasted like the frappe.
Ingredients for S’mores Cupcakes
The layers in these chocolate marshmallow cupcakes are easy to do with just a few ingredients. The drizzle of melted chocolate, graham cracker crumbs, and a green straw make the finished cupcakes look just like the Starbucks frappuccino.
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – Crush your own or buy already crushed crumbs.
- Butter – Unsalted and melted to mix with the crumbs.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake Mix – I usually use a Pillsbury cake mix, but any brand will work.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix – Adds a moist and rich flavor to the cupcakes.
- Eggs – Large eggs are the most common size used in recipes.
- Oil – Keeps the cupcakes moist and delicious.
- Coffee – you can also use water or milk
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Adds more chocolate goodness to the doctored up cake mix.
For the Topping
- Marshmallow Buttercream – easy creamy frosting with a sweet marshmallow flavor.
- Chocolate Melting Wafers – I like to use Ghiradelli melting wafers because they melt smooth and creamy and taste great.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – Add a fun garnish to the top of each cupcake.
How to make S’mores Frappuccino Cupcakes
These fun and easy chocolate cupcakes have all the flavors of your favorite campfire treat. A graham cracker crust, chocolate cupcake, and marshmallow frosting make them decadent and delicious.
- Preheat oven to 325° and place 30 cupcake liners in your cupcake pans.
- Stir together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Use a mini tart shaper or something small to press the crumbs down firmly.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, and coffee until a thick cake batter comes together. I usually mix the ingredients on low for 1 minutes, then mix it on medium for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips gently. Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Swirl frosting on top of the cupcakes using a piping bag and icing tip 1M. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with more graham cracker crumbs.
- Store in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use something other than coffee?
Yes, you can also use water or milk instead of coffee, if you prefer. Coffee actually amplifies or deepens the chocolate flavor. It gives it a bigger boost! And I’m all for boosting my chocolate, y’all!
Can you freeze unfrosted cupcakes?
Make sure they are completely cool. Place them in a tightly sealed freezer bag or freezer safe container. Freeze for 4-6 months. Let the cupcakes come to room temperature before adding frosting and toppings.
You can also freeze frosted cupcakes by placing them in single layer on a tray and freezing for 6 hours. Wrap each one in plastic wrap or place in a freezer safe bag or container. Unwrap the cupcakes and let them come to room temperature before eating.
What tip do you use to frost cupcakes?
I like to use an icing bag and the 1M icing tip. This large icing tip allows you to pipe big swirls of frosting on top of the cupcakes.
Don’t have icing tips? Pro Tip: Fill a plastic Ziplock bag with the frosting, cut off one corner, and swirl on top of the cupcakes.
More Chocolate Cupcake Recipes
- Mocha Cookie Crumble Cupcakes
- Coffee Toffee Cupcake recipe
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Fudge Cupcakes
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with raspberry filling
- Oreo Brownie Cupcakes
- Reese’s Cupcakes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further below.
Stay in touch with us through social media. Don’t forget to tag me in your photos when you try one of our recipes.
I also created a Facebook group and would love for you to join. Share recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. Request to join HERE.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 - 3.4 ounce instant chocolate pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 batch Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 1/3 cup chocolate melts
- 2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 30 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter. Spoon the rest of the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Press firmly into the bottom. Set aside.
- Mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, cooled coffee, and oil. Beat for 1 minute on low speed, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir the chocolate chips in gently. Spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Use a frosting bag and icing tip 1M to swirl the frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Melt the chocolate melts according to the package directions. Spoon into a plastic baggie. Cut one tip off and drizzle over the tops of the frosted cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Add a green straw, if desired. Store in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
*The post for Frappuccino Cupcakes was first published on May 14, 2015. The photos were updated and it was republished June 9, 2019.