Sweet Triple Chocolate Scones and hot cup of coffee are a delicious way to start any day. These soft and flakey chocolate scones are an acceptable way to enjoy brownies for breakfast.
It took us years and years to convince our kids that breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Our youngest two would not eat breakfast before going to school when they were younger.
I would even try to entice them with these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, but it did not help much.
They both claimed they were not hungry first thing in the morning. But then by recess they would eat half their lunch. So of course, by the time they came home they were starving again and wanted a snack.
Thank goodness when those two crazy kids got into their teenage years they finally learned that starting the day off with breakfast was better for them.
We make sure to keep protein shakes, protein bars, and Chocolate Covered Strawberry Granola in our pantry for quick and easy breakfasts for them to be able to grab and go in a hurry.
The other day I got the urge to make some brownie-like scones to have on hand for breakfast or after school snack. Originally the plan was to make chocolate chunk scones, but then I found lots more chocolate when I was pulling ingredients out of the pantry. So they became Triple Chocolate Scones instead!
Trust me and make a batch of these chocolate scones. It’s a delicious afternoon treat to enjoy on National Chocolate Day. Just saying…
These chocolate scones are so easy to put together. All you need is a bowl and a fork. Don’t you love when a recipe doesn’t dirty half your kitchen?
How to make Triple Chocolate Scones:
- Stir together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. (full recipe is at the bottom)
- Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients with the fork or a pastry blender. Make sure that there are butter chunks evenly distributed throughout all the flour.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk together. Use a fork to mix this into the flour mixture. You want to keep moving it around until a good dough forms. Just be careful not to overwork the dough because that makes dense and dried out scones.
- Pat the dough into 2 equal circles that are about 6 inches around. Do not hold or touch the dough too much. You do not want the butter to melt and the dough to get warm.
- Cut each circle into 6 wedges with a sharp knife. The dough will be really sticky, so do not try to move the scones around at all. To keep the scones light and flakey, refrigerate the pan of dough for 30 minutes. This will keep the dough from spreading out too much as they bake.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
- Once the brownie scones are cooled, drizzle them with melted chocolate. This is totally optional, but it adds so much to the finished chocolate scones. You could also drizzle them with some melted white chocolate to make them really pretty.
FYI: These Triple Chocolate Scones are awesome the next day or two if you reheat them in the microwave for 8-10 seconds. At least that’s what my daughter tells me. Wink, wink!!!
How to change the flavor in these Chocolate Scones:
- Chocolate Orange Scones – use orange extract instead of the vanilla. Add a little bit of orange zest to really amp up the flavor.
- Chocolate Pecan Scones – use chopped up pecans in place of the mini chocolate chips in the dough
- Chocolate Chunk Scones – use chocolate chunks instead of the mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate Almond Scones – use almond extract and chopped almonds instead of the vanilla and chocolate chips
- Frosted Chocolate Banana Scones
- Peppermint Mocha Scones
More Chocolate Recipes:
- Chocolate Avocado Muffins
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake
- Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also have a fun Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the cold butter and cut in with a fork or pastry blender until it is coarse crumbs. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture.
- Whisk together the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk. Pour into the center of the flour and stir until a dough comes together. Do not over work the dough.
- DIvide the dough into 2 equal parts. Place each ball on a baking sheet.
- With floured hands, shape each ball into a 6 inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Refrigerate the dough for 15-30 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Place the dark chocolate melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted and smooth. Do not over heat.
- Place the melted chocolate in a plastic bag with the tip cut off. Drizzle over the tops of the scones. Store in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 5g
*The post for Triple Chocolate Scones was first published on May 8, 2013. The post and pictures have been updated and republished on October 28, 2019.