Make dinner time easy and delicious with this Chicken Pasta Bake! Packed with chicken and veggies, this cheesy dish is ready to enjoy in less than 45 minutes. Try out this cozy family favorite today!
Our family is a huge fan of pasta dinners. While our kids were in school, I found those meals to be the perfect ones to make during the week.
Why You Will Love this Cheesy Pasta Bake
We loaded this cheesy casserole with plenty of veggies and chicken. You are going to love how easy it is to assemble and how delicious it is. This comfort food always gets two thumbs up from everyone at our table.
- Easy Preparation - Chicken pasta bake is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. It's easy to make and can be on the table in 45 minutes.
- Family Friendly Meal - Kids and adults alike love it. It's a comforting and filling dish that brings everyone together around the dinner table.
- Comfort Food Classic - There's nothing quite like a gooey cheese casserole. It's warm and hearty and will give you that cozy feeling.
- Packed with Flavor - The combination of chicken, pasta, and a rich creamy cheese sauce creates a satisfying taste.
- Great Leftovers - You can have it for lunch or dinner the next day, saving you time and effort in the kitchen.
This chicken pasta casserole without canned soup comes together pretty quickly. I love to prep the ingredients ahead of time and keep them in containers in the refrigerator.
When you are ready for dinner, cook the sauce, and add all the prepped ingredients to the pot. Easy, peasy, and definitely cheesy!
- Pasta - Use your favorite pasta for this recipe. We love rotini noodles because the cheesy sauce tends to cling better.
- Veggies - A mixture of onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes adds flavor.
- Roux - A homemade sauce made with flour, chicken broth, and plain Greek yogurt.
- Cheese - A mixture of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese works well in this pasta. Feel free to use your favorite and change it up.
- Chicken - You can cook your own chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken from Sam's for quick meal prep. You could even use canned chicken if that's what you have on hand at the moment.
How to Make Chicken Pasta Bake
This cheesy chicken pasta bake recipe is simple to make and tastes amazing! The added yogurt adds more protein to the casserole.
- Prep noodles and veggies. Boil and drain the pasta according to the package directions. Dice all the vegetables.
- Sauté the veggies. Add all the chopped vegetables in a hot skillet with butter and cook for 2 minutes to soften them up. Add the garlic and sprinkle the veggies with flour and cook for another minute or two.
- Make a roux. Whisk in the chicken broth and stir it over medium heat until it thickens. Stir in the yogurt and some of the shredded cheese and stir until melted and creamy.
- Assemble the ingredients. Add pasta, chicken, and tomatoes and mix together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a casserole dish. Spoon the creamy chicken mixture into a greased baking dish and top with more cheese.
- Bake and serve. Heat in the oven until the cheese is melted and the filling is bubbling on the sides. Broil the top, if desired.
BruCrew Tip: Short on time? Skip the extra bake time and stir the remaining cheese into the hot pasta right before serving.
This pasta bake is a full meal on its own, but we love serving extra side dishes to vary the dinner. Here are a few favorites that we serve with it.
In the Refrigerator - Once the baked casserole has cooled, cover and place in the refrigerator. The pasta will keep for 3-4 days.
To Reheat - Place single servings on a microwave safe plate, heat 1-2 minutes or until desired temperature is reached. For the full pan, remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes ahead of time. Cover with foil and place in a heated oven for 20-30 minutes or until the center is hot.
As a Freezer Meal - Place cooked pasta into a foil freezer container and top with remaining cheese and oregano. Cool on the counter for an hour, then refrigerate until chilled. Cover tightly and place in the freezer for 2-3 months. To bake, thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours ahead of time. Bake according to directions, adding 10-15 minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a rotisserie chicken. Save time in the kitchen and buy an already cooked chicken instead of grilling or baking your own.
- Change up your pasta. Use any other shape that you prefer such as shells, bowtie, or penne pasta. Be sure to follow the package suggestions on how long to cook it for al dente.
- Add other vegetables. Try adding broccoli, baby spinach, asparagus, or mushrooms. Anything you love will work in this pasta bake.
- Vary your shredded cheese. Smoked gouda, Pepper Jack, and Monterey jack work well in a cheesy pasta. Feel free to get creative and use your favorite.
- Shred your cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has a coating on it to keep it from clumping in the bag. This also can make it taste a little grainy when melted. You can avoid this by shredding your own cheese.
Most baked pasta dishes require you to boil and drain your noodles ahead of time. Cook the pasta to al dente, then it will finish cooking in the oven as it bakes.
Yes, you can prepare all of it ahead of time. Place the covered casserole in the refrigerator before baking. It will keep for 2-3 days. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Add 10-15 extra minutes to the baking time.
Pre-packaged shredded cheese is coated with a starch that prevents it from clumping. This coating also keeps it from melting very well. Always grate a block of cheese for best results in your cheesy dinners.
Yes, you can. Prepare the pasta completely. Spoon it into a tin pan and let the pasta cool before topping it with the extra cheese. Cover tightly and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw 24 hours ahead of time in the refrigerator. Cook until heated through.
More Easy Pasta Dinners
- Creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Stuffed Shells with white sauce
- Cheeseburger Skillet
- Skillet Ravioli
- Stuffed Shells with meat
- Chipotle Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Broccoli Lasagna
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This was first published March 2014. It was updated and republished June 2023.