These easy Chocolate Cherry Cookies are topped with a maraschino cherry and a chocolate glaze with sprinkles. Such a fun holiday cookie to share with friends and family.
I know it is totally cliché, but Valentine’s Day and Christmas makes me think about chocolate and cherries. Now to be completely honest, I think about chocolate all the time. It’s that dang sweet tooth of mine.
This month I’m on a mission to use up the extra food in our house. We are going to be moving in about a month, so anything we can use up now means less stuff to move later.
There are always cake mixes and maraschino cherries on the pantry shelves, so I decided to make a chocolate version of these Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies. If you love chocolate and cherries, trust me and make both of these easy cookie recipes.
The hidden cherry under the chocolate glaze is a fun surprise to find when you bite into one of these chocolate cookies.
Well, if you like cherries that is. If you don’t like cherries, you may be scarred for life and may never trust another chocolate thumbprint cookie.
If this is you, you should skip this recipe and make these Easy Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies instead. Chocolate and marshmallow is another awesome combo.
By now you know how much I love making cake mix cookies. There is just something about these soft, puffy cookies that we go nuts for.
I love how easy it is to change up these simple cookies with different mix-ins and fillings. You can add just about any candy or cookie to make them different every single time.
Mix-In Ideas for Cake Mix Cookies:
- Candy – M&M’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers, Bunch a Crunch, Reese’s Pieces, Peppermint Patties, Rolos
- Dried Fruit – cherries, blueberries, cranberries, raisins
- Cookies – Oreos, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, Animal Crackers
- Chocolate Chips – white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, mint, peppermint
- Sprinkles, Nuts, Maraschino Cherries
If you love cherries, you need to bake these chocolate covered cherry cookies today. I suggest heading to the store ASAP to buy the ingredients! Just make sure you have friends to share them with because you might eat the entire batch.
How to make Chocolate Cherry Cookies:
- Mix together the dry cake mix, butter, egg, and cream cheese until a soft dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Roll the chilled dough into 36 even balls and bake.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes before moving them to parchment paper.
- Press maraschino cherries into the tops of the warm cookies. Let cool completely.
- Heat the chocolate chips and heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Spoon the chocolate over the cherries.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate and add sprinkles, if desired.
- Set your butter and cream cheese out ahead of time because it is easier to beat it into the dry cake mix.
- If the cookie dough is still too sticky to roll after an hour, refrigerate it longer. All cake mixes are different and some need to chill longer.
- Make sure you drain and pat dry the maraschino cherries before putting them on top the cookies.
- Change the cookies up by topping with a white chocolate glaze and adding chocolate drizzles.
More easy cake mix cookies you may like:
Hidden chocolate candy bars inside these Triple Chocolate Cookies are always a fun surprise for everyone to find.
These pretty Strawberry Truffle Kiss Cookies are pink, sparkly, and taste amazing.
The hidden candy center in these Cinnamon Caramel Cookies will make everyone smile when they find it.
Red Velvet Peppermint Pattie Cookies are easy to make, taste delicious, and are the perfect Valentine’s Day treat.
These easy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Cookies are loaded with chocolate and Oreo cookie chunks.
Peanut butter cups and a raspberry chocolate bar make these Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies a fun treat.
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
I also created a fun new Facebook group, and I would love for you to join. It’s a group where you can share your favorite recipes, ask questions, share photos, and see what’s new with the BruCrew. If you would like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 - 16 ounce jar maraschino cherries, without stems
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate melts
- Beat together the cake mix, butter, egg, and cream cheese until soft dough forms. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If the dough is still too sticky to roll, refrigerate longer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain the jar of cherries and pat dry.
- Roll dough into 36 even balls. Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes before moving carefully to wax paper on the counter.
- Press the cherries into the tops of the cookies. Let the cookies cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and heat again for another 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Cover the tops of the cookies with the melted chocolate. Let set.
- Melt the white melts according to the package directions. Spoon into a Ziplock bag and cut one corner off.
- Drizzle lines over the cookies. Top with sprinkles and let set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g