Get ready to indulge! These Cookie Dough Truffles are the perfect no bake treat that is safe to eat and easy to make. Enjoy an edible cookie dough recipe that is egg free, dipped in chocolate, and jazzed up with sprinkles.
Why This Works
Growing up we always licked the mixer beaters after my mom made cookies and cakes. I even let our kids do the same thing when they were younger. I even used to eat spoonfuls of raw dough from time to time without worrying about bacteria.
But with all the concerns from eating raw eggs and raw flour, I wanted to find a solution so we could safely eat cookie dough. Now with this edible cookie dough recipe, I can share treats with others without any worry.
There is just something satisfying about eating cookie dough. And when that cookie dough is dipped in chocolate it is even better. Get ready to pop a few of these chocolate chip cookie dough truffles in your mouth!
What You'll Need
You only need a few ingredients to make this homemade candy. It's easy to double the ingredients if you need treats for a bigger crowd.
- Butter - Unsalted or salted and softened.
- Brown Sugar - Sweetens and gives the cookie dough flavor.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - Sweetens and adds moisture.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds flavor.
- Flour - Heat treated and cooled before using. The FDA advises not eating raw flour because of potential bacteria. Learn how to heat treat flour to kill any bacteria that may be present in the raw flour.
- Miniature Chocolate Chips - The minis are best for the size of the truffles.
- Chocolate Wafers - Melt in the microwave at 50% powder to avoid burning the chocolate.
How to make Cookie Dough Truffles
Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles are so easy to make. The edible cookie dough comes together in minutes, and the melted chocolate and sprinkles add a fun flair to each one.
Step One: Make the Dough
- Beat the softened butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and beat again.
- Mix in the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Stir in the miniature chocolate chips gently.
Step Two: Chill Cookie Dough Bites
- Use a small cookie dough scoop to make 24 even dough balls.
- Roll into a round shape and place on a sheet pan lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
Step Three: Melt Chocolate
- Place chocolate melting wafers in microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 45 seconds at 50% power. Stir.
- Repeat for shorter intervals until chocolate is melted and creamy.
Step Four: Dip in Chocolate
- Use a toothpick to dip the cookie dough truffles in melted chocolate.
- A spoon is helpful for getting the chocolate all over the bites.
- Place on wax paper and let set slightly before twisting the toothpick out.
- Add a small bit of melted chocolate to cover the hole.
- Let the chocolate chip cookie dough truffles set completely.
BRUCREW TIP: These truffles keep their shape for dipping best when cold. I recommend removing a few at a time from the fridge when you are dipping the truffles.
Step Five: Decorate
- Drizzle the tops of the chocolate covered cookie dough bites with more chocolate.
- Add sprinkles if desired before the chocolate sets up.
Is it safe to eat raw cookie dough?
This edible cookie dough recipe is safe to eat because it is egg free and uses heat treated flour.
How do you store cookie dough truffles?
- Counter - Keep the chocolate chip cookie dough truffles in a sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days.
- Refrigerator - Place the edible cookie dough truffles in a container and keep in the fridge for 4-6 days.
- Freezer - Freeze the cookie dough bites in a tightly sealed bag or container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then dip in chocolate and decorate.
Can you bake edible cookie dough?
I don't recommend baking this particular recipe because it doesn't have any eggs or leavening, so it will not bake properly. These chocolate chip cookie dough truffles are best eaten unbaked.
Tips and Tricks
- Use crushed candy bars, M&M's, nuts, or coconut in place of the chocolate chips.
- Chill the eggless cookie dough before dipping in the melted chocolate.
- Use a cookie scoop, so all your dough balls are even.
- Temper the chocolate, so it doesn't scorch, burn, or discolor.
- Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, mini chocolate chips, or nuts for a fun twist.
- Use seasonal sprinkles to decorate the cookie dough truffles for different holidays or themed parties.
More Cookie Dough Recipes
- Pretzel Cookie Dough Bites
- Monster Cookie Dough
- Celebration Cookie Dough
- Smores No Bake Cookie Dough
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake
- Butterfinger Balls
- Brownie Bottom Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Funfetti Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Andes Mint Truffles
- Reese's Truffles recipe
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please consider leaving a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*The post for Cookie Dough Truffles was first published February 24, 2010. The pictures and post were updated and republished June 9, 2021.