Grab a bag of chips because in just a few minutes you can be enjoying this Easy Salsa Recipe. Tomatoes, cilantro, and lime mix together to create the best homemade salsa. It's the perfect topping for nachos, enchiladas, or tacos.
Easy Homemade Salsa
Taco Tuesday just isn't complete without a bowl of freshly made salsa. My husband has been making this homemade salsa since we got married. It is our go to recipe any time we are having tacos.
Although, my hubby doesn't measure when he makes food. So, I had to stand right there with him this time, so I could get the exact measurements for his easy salsa recipe. He said I was cramping his mojo, but a recipe that says pinch of this and a pinch of that isn't helpful. Right?
It's so easy to make!!! Open a few cans of tomatoes and blend to your favorite consistency, then stir in some finely diced veggies. We love to season ours with a little bit of lime juice and salt and pepper.
With Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, spicy salsa is the perfect addition to this Easy Chicken Enchiladas recipe or this Nacho Chicken Casserole.
The secret to our homemade salsa is that we use canned tomatoes. Adding a few fresh veggies gives it that restaurant style salsa flavor that we love.
My husband does a ratio of 2:1. Two cans of spicy tomatoes and one can of regular diced tomatoes, drained and pureed to your preferred consistency.
- Canned Tomatoes - two cans of diced tomatoes and one can of regular diced tomatoes balances the spicy flavor
- Onions - We prefer to use green onions, but you can use any kind of onion. Traditional salsa is made with white onions.
- Cilantro - adds a great herb flavor
- Minced Garlic - fresh or jarred is fine
- Lime Juice - squeeze the juice from one lime
- Salt - season to taste
How to make Salsa
This easy salsa comes together in just minutes. It can be eaten right away, but it really tastes best if it can chill for an hour or more.
Step One: Puree Tomatoes.
- Open three cans of canned tomatoes and drain.
- Use an immersion hand blender or regular blender to puree the tomatoes to your preferred consistency.
Step Two: Chop Veggies.
- Dice green onion and cilantro into small pieces.
- Stir the veggies and garlic into the tomatoes.
Step Three: Season to Taste.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Refrigerate at least one hour, so the flavors can deepen.
- Mild - Use 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies and 2 cans of regular diced tomatoes.
- Medium - Use 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies and 1 can regular diced tomatoes
- Hot - Use 2 cans tomatoes with green chilies and 1 can hot tomatoes with green chilies.
- Smoky - Use fire roasted canned tomatoes with green chilies plus 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
Refrigerator - Store the homemade salsa in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Freezer - Freeze salsa in freezer bags or container for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this salsa spicy?
That depends on what canned tomatoes you buy. If you use mild tomatoes with regular tomatoes, the salsa is not very spicy.
How do you make homemade salsa hotter?
There are three different ways to make homemade salsa even hotter. Use tomatoes with hot green chilies. Add a teaspoon of hot sauce. Stir in some diced jalapenos.
How do you fix bitter salsa?
To correct a bitter salsa, try stirring in a little bit of honey or sugar to sweeten it. You can also add more lime juice and salt.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
What to serve Salsa with
- This Taco Taquito is full of taco meat, cheese, and tomatoes. Quick and easy 30 minute dinner for those busy nights.
- Quinoa Taco Bowl is a delicious and healthy meal that satisfies everyone at the dinner table. They are simple, fresh, and easy to make.
- These easy Bacon Breakfast Tacos are a delicious choice for breakfast or brinner.
- Mexican Chicken Stuffed Shells filled with salsa and cheesy goodness is a delicious dinner choice.
- Avocados and tomatoes go together and make a wonderful Spicy Guacamole that is great with chips.
- These Green Chile Pork Tacos are loaded with meat, cheese, and salsa. They are such an easy and delicious dinner for Taco Tuesday.
- A Fish Taco Bowl is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy tacos without the carbs.
Other salsa recipes
*This post contains an affiliate link. Thank you for letting me share products I know and love.
**The post for Easy Homemade Salsa was first published on April 29, 2015. The photos have been updated and it was republished on April 20, 2019.
We love homemade salsa and this recipe is super easy and delicious!
I inhale all homemade salsas. Can't wait to try this recipe!
This salsa is wonderful. I made a batch this morning and my husband is already asking me when i am going to make it again!
hey girl- this salsa looks amazing!
Woow!! amazing recipe. I made this and loved it. And I’m picky about salsa. Seriously thanks so much.Very easily the best salsa recipe I have found. SO DELICIOUS!!
This looks so darn awesome Jocelyn! I just want to dip a chip in that goodness right NOW 🙂 Love how easy it is too!
Hahaha! And now I'm wanting another batch and a bowl of chips too!
I have also made a homemade salsa recipe, because homemade is always better 🙂
Love your blog. All the best,
Thank you so much, Nichole.
Amber @ The Bewitched Baker
Nothing tastes quite as good as homemade salsa. 🙂 This is a great after-school snack!
Yes, this gets eaten by the bucketfuls after school here! My kids love it for an after school snack!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel
Unless it's pico de gallo, I kind of prefer my salsa to be a little on the runnier side like this. It reminds me of restaurant-style salsa, which is always super hot and spicy and totally delicious! I love this easy recipe, J!
Mad props to the runny salsa eaters club!!! I love mine hot and spicy too!
Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze
This salsa looks so fresh and delicious! My kids are starving when I pick them up from school. It's like they are going to shrivel up if they don't eat right that second!! I wish I had some of this tonight with dinner! 😉
Aren't kids the funniest when they get home from school? All dying from hunger...when they had breakfast and lunch already!
Anna @ Sunny Side Ups
Oh yes!! Pretty sure salsa is my favorite food of all time, and I agree--homemade is always best! Yikes-I have no idea why it's been so long since I've made it at home! Your recipe is my inspiration--definitely whipping up a batch this week! 🙂
Woo hoo! Gotta love a fresh batch of salsa in the fridge!!!!
Your husband's Salsa looks wonderful....can't wait to make it, the next time my granddaughter spends the nite, her and I will make it.....
But I agree with you, I can eat brownies for a meal and I'm happy....or lets say I used too...now that I have to watch my chocolate, I couldn't do it.....I'm looking for some white chocolate brownies.....have a recipe for that ? But I suppose I could just use white chocolate instead of the regular chocolate in the recipe eh ?
I love those LINDT candies, and they sell them in white chocolate, so that is what I have been eating....all your taco recipes look great.....and I could live on pizza & tacos too.....
I hope you guys enjoy the salsa! It's perfect for munching on with a movie! Would these white chocolate bars work for you? Minus the chocolate chips of course. https://insidebrucrewlife.com/white-chocolate-caramel-cappuccino-bars/
Medha @ Whisk & Shout
I got an immersion blender for christmas and have yet to use it! This looks like the recipe to make with it. I love homemade salsa, so fresh and delicious!
Girl, get that blender out. It makes whipping up salsa so easy!!!
Thanks for the savory recipe Jocelyn - I don't always read your posts if the subject line is sweet as I already have too many temptations of the baking kind!! Thanks for the canned idea - will use organic tomatoes myself!
I know...I'm kind of a sugar freak and it shows in all my baking. Glad you found a recipe that you could enjoy though 🙂 FYI I posted a salad the other day too!
Hey Jocelyn- thanks for the response (I'm flattered!) Here's a recipe I think you'll really like -Suzie's Strawberry Cake.
Suzie’s Strawberry Cake
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
2. Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
3. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
4. Bake cake 60 minutes or until center is 205 degrees, measured with your meat thermometer. The cake will be golden brown and firm to the touch. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days.
Mandy @Mandy's Recipe Box
Why can't we have brownies for dinner?? But this salsa looks super delish!
Haha! I'm totally cool with brownies for dinner 🙂
Aimee @ ShugarySweets
We are having twin brain again 🙂 My husband would LOVE this salsa, as he likes it thin and liquidy. I like the chunks. We are a great pair, LOL.
Hahaha! Our families have so many of the same likes and quirks...love it!!!
Erin @ Miss Scrambled Egg
I have a friend who makes a salsa that's similar to yours, Jocelyn. Every time I see her, I request that she makes her salsa. It's too good! 🙂
I like to measure, too. It makes everything consistent. But it's cute that you guys were cooking together!
The fresh cilantro is the best, too. This looks restaurant quality!
Thanks, Mir. Glad you measure like me...my guy always gives me the eye when I want to measure what he is making 😉
Lindsay@Life, Love and Sugar
This looks so easy - I love using canned tomatoes in salsa. Surprising, but it really is awesome! Can't wait to make this!
It really is so easy to make! I hope you enjoy this one!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice
Oh I love homemade salsa! It's so easy to make and way better than the store bought kind! This looks fantastic, Jocelyn! I wish I could munch on this for breakfast right about now!
We do munch on this salsa in the morning...with our eggs 🙂 Homemade is definitely the best way to go!!!