Salted Caramel Oreo Icebox Cake has no bake caramel cheesecake and Oreo cookies in every bite. This easy icebox cake recipe is the perfect dessert to make any time of year.
One of my favorite types of dessert is an icebox cake. They are seriously so easy to make and can be customized with so many different flavors.
The other day I was drinking a homemade Salted Caramel Mocha Latte, and I started thinking about what else I could make with the extra salted caramel in the fridge.
Over the years, I have made quite a few different sweet and salty desserts. This Salted Caramel Frosting is amazing on any cake or cupcake. And these Salted Caramel Brownies always get smiles when I bring them to events!
But I wasn't in a baking mood at the moment, so I decided to make a no bake icebox cake.
Years ago a traditional icebox cake was just layers of chocolate wafer cookies and whipped cream on a plate. The cookies would get soft and cake-like the longer it sat in the fridge (or icebox).
Other names for these types of cakes are dessert lasagna, lush dessert, or dream dessert.
Of course, now icebox cakes have become a little more trendy. You can use pudding, pie filling, no bake cheesecake, and any cookie or sweet cracker you like for the layers in these no bake cakes.
One of our favorites is this Cherry Oreo Icebox Cake made with layers of dark chocolate Oreos and cherry mousse.
Icebox cakes are seriously the easiest cakes ever to make. All you need are cookies, a light and creamy filling, and Cool Whip. Or Homemade Whipped Cream, if that’s the way you roll.
Ingredients for a Caramel Ice Box Cake:
- Cream Cheese – make sure to set it out ahead of time
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Topping – sweetens the cream cheese. You can use regular caramel too and adjust the amount of salt.
- Sea Salt - make sure to use a coarse ground sea salt to avoid the cake being too salty
- Cool Whip – this creates a light and fluffy filling. Feel free to use homemade whipped cream, if you prefer that instead.
- Oreos – you can use a regular or double stuffed Oreo for this layer
- Coffee – used to soften the cookie slightly before putting them in the pan. You can also use milk if you do not like coffee desserts.
Using Sea Salt in Recipes:
- Make sure you use a coarse ground sea salt because if your sea salt is fine, your dessert is going to taste extra salty.
- Be sure to add the sea salt in small increments. Some people love salted treats. Others like a very mild sea salt flavor.
- In order to get what you like, add it slowly and taste test often because you do not want to ruin your dessert.
FYI: If you are using a salt grinder, remember they all grind differently! Make sure it is set to come out coarse!
This icebox cake is seriously so easy to put together. Like 15 minutes easy!!!
Of course, you do have to refrigerate it for a few hours before eating it. This is where you have to have patience. Yes, I know, this is not fair.
You could eat it early, but letting it set deepens the flavor and allows the cookies time to soften.
How to make a Salted Caramel Oreo Icebox Cake:
- Beat cream cheese, caramel topping, and coarse sea salt until light and creamy.
- Fold in the Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream.
- Dip Oreo cookies one at a time in cooled coffee and place on the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
- Spread half the no bake cheesecake on top, and repeat the layers.
- End with a layer of whipped topping. Place the pan in the refrigerator for a few hours to chill until it gets firm.
Serve this salted caramel icebox cake with another swirl of whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel and chocolate syrup. If you are a true salted caramel lover, sprinkle it with a little more sea salt.
If you love icebox cakes try this Cinnamon Apple Icebox Cake, this Coconut Oreo Icebox Cake, or this S'mores Oreo Icebox Cake.
More salted caramel desserts:
- Salted Caramel Mocha Bundt Cake
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Caramel Snickers Fudge
- Salted Caramel Mocha Brownie Cups
- Salted Caramel Mocha Truffles
*The post for Salted Caramel Oreo Icebox Cake was first published on September 17, 2014. The pictures and post were updated and republished January 21, 2021.
Jen and Emily @ Layers of Happiness
You are too funny... I get my best recipe ideas at the craziest times too - sometimes even in the shower at 6am in the morning, which I don't even know how that happens because I'm still too tired to remember what comes after conditioner, let alone think of some killer recipe. But it happens. 🙂 This cake looks AWESOME. Sitting her bundled up in blankets, and now all I want is a big piece of this cake! Pinned 🙂
Just made this for Thanksgiving....It was delicious !!! I'm not sure if I can top this dessert. Thank you for your recipe...
just wondering what kind of pan you used?
Hi, Mike. Thanks for stopping by. The recipe says to use an 8x8 pan. I hope you enjoy this cake 🙂
I made this for my husband & I for Sunday night dessert. It was sooo good! I used the Fat free carmel apple dip in place of the ice cream topping. Also used Lite whipped topping as well as the low fat cream cheese. Hey, gotta cut when I can and it was still delish! It was so quick to put together. This one is a keeper! Thanks for sharing!
Mmm ... this looks so good! I always seem to overindulge on Starbucks treats at this time of year, too;)
Oh my! Oreos dunked in coffee! You got me! Pinned!
Thanks for the pin love, Jaren! 🙂
15 minute easy sounds like a done deal in my book! Salted Caramel mochas are just so wonderfully warm and fuzzy and all the things that are great about Autumn. This cake embodies all of that and looks lovely, Jocelyn!
Thanks Jess! 🙂
This is incredible! Love that salted caramel cheesecake layer!
I Just treated myself to my very first salted caramel mocha of the season yesterday! And this is like-WOW!!! I'm drooling over this.
Thanks Chels! 😉
My daughter let out the loudest sigh after I showed this to her:) She adores the Salted Caramel Mocha from Starbucks... All of your icebox cakes look divine, but this is my favorite combination so far!
Omg Jocelyn, this looks amazing! Salted caramel is my new downfall.
Thanks Melissa! 🙂
I love everything about this cake Jocelyn and it just looks so gosh-darned amazing!
I totally want to lick the screen! This is amazing!
This comment made me laugh! Thanks Amanda! 😉
this looks so delicious
Thanks Deb! 🙂
This dessert is GORGEOUS. And I love love love your new blog design!
I just fell in love with icebox cakes this summer and have been making them religiously. I LOVE this version and must try it soon!
Thanks Des! 😉 I love ice box cakes!
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter
This cake looks incredible Jocelyn! Love the salted caramel with dipped oreos - such a great idea! Totally drooling over a big piece - pinning:)
Julie @ This Gal Cooks
So I'm trying to cut back on sugar and then I see things like that. Give me ALL of the sugar! Great recipe, Jocelyn.
OH, and I know the feeling of not being able to resist the $5/cup Starbucks urge. When pumpkin spice rolled out last year, I was there 4 times that week. Yikes! I was a little more well behaved this year. 😉
Haha! Thanks Julie!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
I LOVE the new site, it looks amazing! So fun!
Also this cake, yes, need it in my life!
Jocelyn, this cake looks dangerously delicious! I'd love a slice of it right now! Yum! By the way, I love the new look of your blog! 🙂
Thank you so much Jamie! 😉