Love pumpkin season, but don't want to give up the chocolate? Problem solved with a moist Chocolate Pumpkin Bread loaded with chocolate chips. Enjoy it plain or take it up a notch and add a creamy caramel frosting.
I am excited to bake all the things with pumpkin this fall. Usually I make this pumpkin chocolate chip bread, but today it's all about the chocolate.
Yes, I know there a billion and one recipes out there. Trust me, you need another pumpkin bread recipe in your life this fall. Why? Because our recipe has double the chocolate.
⭐ Why You Should Make This Bread
You are going to love this chocolate pumpkin bread because it is made with dark cocoa powder and loaded with chocolate chips. It's gooey, delicious, and totally fabulous!
A layer of creamy caramel frosting and a sprinkling of chocolate chips on top makes it even better. Although, it does bring up a question. Do you call this bread or cake?
Apparently, frosting on a sweet bread turns it into cake in some people's eyes. Whatever you call it, this double chocolate pumpkin bread is going to be your new favorite fall bread and here is why.
- Easy to mix up in minutes.
- Chocolate chips and cocoa powder make it super chocolatey.
- Decadent, delicious, and oh so moist!
- Topped with a sweet caramel frosting.
📋 Key Ingredients Needed
With simple pantry items you can make a loaf of moist pumpkin bread that is loaded with two kinds of chocolate. Enjoy it plain or top it with a rich and creamy caramel frosting. Either way works!
- Sugar - A mixture of granulated and brown sugar makes it sweet and keeps it moist.
- Oil - Using vegetable oil in sweet breads gives them a nice soft crumb texture.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you get the PURE pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie mix has extra sugar and spices added to it.
- Baking Soda - Provides the lift needed as it bakes.
- Spices - Using cinnamon and nutmeg gives the sweet bread a warm fall flavor.
- Flour - We use all purpose flour in most of our recipes. Learn how to measure flour correctly, so your baked goods will always turn out.
- Cocoa Powder - A dark cocoa powder will give the quick bread a dark rich color. Regular cocoa powder is fine too, but the bread be a little lighter when it bakes.
- Milk - For the best flavor use 2% or whole milk, but any variety will work just fine.
- Chocolate Chips - We like using semi-sweet chips, but milk chocolate or dark chocolate are great too. You can also use chocolate chunks or caramel chocolate chips in place of some of the chocolate.
- Caramel Frosting - Butter, brown sugar, vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar will make a sweet and creamy glaze for the bread.
⏲️ How to Make Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
You can easily have a loaf of this chocolate pumpkin bread in your oven with very little work. Sit back and enjoy the fall smell as it bakes.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugars, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and the milk until a batter forms.
- Stir in the chocolate chips gently.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and spoon or pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs on it.
- Let the baked bread rest on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then flip out onto a plate and cool completely.
📖 Storage Recommendations
Once the chocolate pumpkin bread has cooled, keep it in a covered container on the counter for 4-5 days. If you want to keep it longer, place the frosted bread in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
This chocolate pumpkin bread also freezes well. Wrap the cooled, unfrosted bread tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag. Freeze for 2-3 months.
To thaw, unwrap the bread and let it thaw at room temperature. Add the frosting before serving.
👩🏻🍳 Tips and Tricks
- Do not over mix the ingredients. Too much mixing can cause the bread to develop too much gluten in the batter which can cause a dense, chewy bread.
- Use different chocolate chips to change it up. White chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, toffee bits, or caramel chips are all great choices.
- Add ½-1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts to the batter before baking.
- Not a fan of frosting on sweet breads? Not a problem. Add a few more chocolate chips to the top of the batter before baking. Once the bread cools, dig in.
- Enjoy the cool fall mornings with a slice of pumpkin bread and a salted caramel mocha.
💭 Recipe FAQ'S
Insert a knife or long skewer into the outside edge of the middle of the pumpkin bread. If it comes out with batter, continue to cook the bread. If it comes out with a few moist crumbs, the bread is done.
Yes, you can use 2 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice instead of the other spices.
Yes, pumpkin bread freezes well. Wrap the cooled loaf tightly in 2 layers of plastic wrap, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for 2-3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
📋 More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
Love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5 star ⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section further below.
*This post was originally shared October 2014. It was updated and republished September 2022.