Football Cookie Bars are a fun treat for game day parties or for sports themed birthday parties. Score a touchdown with all your fans with this chewy chocolate covered cookie bar recipe.
So, there is this big game coming up in a few days. I could pretend that I’m one of those people that actually cares about this game and who is going to win. But I’m not…and I don’t. Let’s face it, I’m only into it for the food. I’ve got my fat pants ready, so game on!
Give lead me to a big, long table covered in dips, chips, appetizers, and desserts, and I will watch whatever is on tv. Of course, don’t be too fooled by what looks like me watching the game. It’s all an act. I’m really just concentrating on the food on my plate.
I’ve just never been able to get into watching any game on tv. Playing the game or watching your kid play the game in real life is just more fun. That’s just me though.
I know plenty of you will be glued to your television cheering on your favorite team, and that’s totally cool. Just be cool with me cheering for another plate of chips and Homemade Salsa.
Not because I’m a mean wife. Mostly because he told me to keep him on track with his eating, so I was just helping him out.
The other reason I said no is because I can’t stay out of those cookie bars if they are in our house. They have been my favorite treat to make (and eat) since high school.
I broke down eventually and made a pan of the chocolate chip cookie bars though.
While I was chowing down on one of the Congo bars, I had a crazy thought that they could make a fun football treat.
If you want to go a step farther, you could cut the frosted cookie bars with a football cookie cutter. I did that for these Football Rice Krispie Treats, and they looked so cute.
I decided to go the easiest way and cut them into small bars because I’m all about the
lazy easy treats right now!
Melted chocolate and white chocolate “laces” make these football shaped desserts perfect for your game day food table.
Planning a small Super Bowl party this year? Check out these Easy Football Party Ideas.
How to make Football Cookie Bars:
- Beat softened butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat again. (full recipe at bottom of post)
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt and slowly mix into the butter mixture.
- Spread in greased pan and bake.
- Let cool completely before spreading melted chocolate on top. Let set.
- Melt white chocolate according to package and spoon into a piping bag or ziplock baggie.
- Drizzle white chocolate on the bars to make them look like football laces.
PRO TIP: Spoon the melted chocolate into a plastic baggie or piping bag and cut one corner off, so you can drizzle white chocolate “laces” easily.
Super Bowl Appetizers:
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Stuffed Crust Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Rolls
- Turkey Club Pinwheels
Super Bowl Desserts:
- Butterfinger Mousse Cheesecakes
- M&M Blonde Brownies
- Caramel Milky Way Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Buckeye Pretzels
Connect with Inside BruCrew Life! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
For the Bars
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 white chocolate melting wafers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray it with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt and slowly add to the butter mixture until a soft thick dough forms. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove and let cool completely. Lift the bars out of the pan using the edges of the foil.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy. Spread on top of the bars evenly and let set. Cut into 30 bars.
- Melt the white chocolate melting wafers according to the package directions. Let cool slightly.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into a ziplock baggie and cut one tip off. Pipe "laces" onto the bars, so they resemble footballs. Let set. Store in a tightly sealed container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special diet advice, please see a registered dietician.
*The post for Football Cookie Bars was first published on February 1, 2017. The post was updated and republished February 4, 2021.